Gatsby Book Test

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Just got the notification of this release. Looks decent, but I do have one question - Is it restricted to the first word on a page?
I know you're probably expecting an answer from someone who owns the trick but there is a point in the trailer where a girl looks for a long word on a page so I assume it isn't? But I'm really not sure. For $35 though I might have to pick one up.

Reactions: C J
Dec 1, 2012
TX
www.youtube.com
For the vast majority of the book - you are restricted to the 1st word on any page - but each page has a different word, and there is no force. However, should you chose to do a variation of the effect and you chose to force a page.... you could "seemingly" allow the spectator to chose any word.

The first trick is repeatable with a new word each time, the second is not. Hope that answers your question.

This special edition is LIMITED to the copy you buy from Theory 11. If you chose to buy this from another retailer you will not get these extra effects! So buy yours from T11

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
For the vast majority of the book - you are restricted to the 1st word on any page - but each page has a different word, and there is no force. However, should you chose to do a variation of the effect and you chose to force a page.... you could "seemingly" allow the spectator to chose any word.

The first trick is repeatable with a new word each time, the second is not. Hope that answers your question.

This special edition is LIMITED to the copy you buy from Theory 11. If you chose to buy this from another retailer you will not get these extra effects! So buy yours from T11

Pretty much the perfect answer. If anyone else has questions then feel free to contact support.

I think everyone will love this, and you won't be disappointed. I held off for awhile after I saw David's review on Magic Orthodoxy, but the Theory11 release is what clinched it for me. Thanks, David for your reviews!

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Just received this! HOLY SMOKES! It is brilliant! I'll be doing a proper review this week, but just know that this is so easy to perform and so powerful that I think it is easily the best book test out there! You can perform this within the first 2 minutes of watching the tutorial.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I do not believe this is a new method at all, but just a new book published utilizing this old method. I have been using the same version with a few other chapter books that use the exact same method for the past 18 years. If its identical which I believe it is....this is something all of you will want right away and will use. I've never been called out on it and have even let people examine the book. You can repeat as many times as you want and it is super easy. With some acting this looks like a miracle.

This plays well in a show or I use my two chapter books when strolling.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Okay, I bit and just ordered mine! Any suggestions on who to learn presentations from? Some books or lectures I should pick up? My mentalism experience consists of nothing more than Anneman, a Doc Hillford LIVE video and a Banacek lecture at a convention (I'm a closeup/card guy). I am familiar with all of the 'best mentalism book' threads and will utilize those ideas but I would appreciate any book test specific suggestions anyone may have.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I would appreciate any book test specific suggestions anyone may have.

Keep the mentalism separate from the magic. There is nothing that weakens a demonstration of psychic ability than to follow it with "now I want you to pick a card...." There are good ways to transition from magic to mentalism in a show. Once you transition, you shouldn't go back.

Decide how you want to play the effect. Are you reading their mind, getting clues from their body language, using the fact you memorized the book or influencing them to pick a certain word on a certain page? Then script and act accordingly. Read the book and incorporate what you like about the book in your presentation to answer the question why you are using that book.

Don't emphasize the process. Too many people overstate how free the selection is. Let the spectator observe the fairness of the process themselves - don't recap, don't ask them if it is fair, don't explain they could have chosen any page or word, don't ask them if they want a different page. Play it as if they can pick any page they want to and it wouldn't matter. Similarly, don't mention or reference methods. Don't say "I'll turn my back so I can't see" - because that makes the audience think that there still is some way you can see. Don't say, "Don't show me the page" or anything else that hints at how you could do this. Rather, set up the script and blocking (how you move on stage) to dispel any methods. Show, don't tell.

For example, you could use something like, "In a moment, I'm going to ask to you pick any page in the book and select a random word on that page. Once you select that word, I want you to just think of it. Don't say it out loud. I don't want anyone but you to know the word." That pre-explains the selection process and puts the ideas in bold into the audience's collective memory.

Lastly, ACT. Go back to how you want the effect to play. If your presentation is that you have memorized the book, talk about what is happening in the book around where they selected their page. "You picked a page in the middle of the book. That is where [insert explanation]. I really like that because [insert something relevant to what is happening in the book. Do me a favor, read out loud a sentence from the middle of the next page." [After they read it]." Then go into the reveal.

If you are reading their body language have them visualize the word, not the letters but the meaning. Ask them "Does the word mean something like [insert synonym]. [They say yes]. I can think of a bunch of words that mean that." The have them think of the first letter as you say the alphabet. Name three letters that are around it. Then select the correct one after saying those letters again. Then OK, so you are thinking of a word that means [insert synonym] and begins with [insert letter]. Think for a minute and then reveal the word in a different tense, as a verb instead of a noun, as a plural rather than singular. Remember, an exact match is magic, getting the word right without being exact is mentalism.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Keep the mentalism separate from the magic. There is nothing that weakens a demonstration of psychic ability than to follow it with "now I want you to pick a card...." There are good ways to transition from magic to mentalism in a show. Once you transition, you shouldn't go back.

Decide how you want to play the effect. Are you reading their mind, getting clues from their body language, using the fact you memorized the book or influencing them to pick a certain word on a certain page? Then script and act accordingly. Read the book and incorporate what you like about the book in your presentation to answer the question why you are using that book.

Thank you. My inclination is to deemphasize the book and make it a mind reading demonstration, but I do like the idea of having memorized the book. I found that to be one of the most memorable Darren Brown effects. Sadly my high school reading lists apparently included everything but this book.

I'm hesitant to use more than one spectator/word because I don't want it evident that we are repeatedly sticking to the first word on the page, but I know that can be solved with proper presentation.

I do not believe this is a new method at all, but just a new book published utilizing this old method. I have been using the same version with a few other chapter books that use the exact same method for the past 18 years. If its identical which I believe it is....this is something all of you will want right away and will use. I've never been called out on it and have even let people examine the book. You can repeat as many times as you want and it is super easy. With some acting this looks like a miracle.

This plays well in a show or I use my two chapter books when strolling.

Hi Rick! It's an adaption of the principle you're referring to - there are no duplicate words.

Reactions: RickEverhart
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results