Geek Magic

Jun 18, 2017
I have always being interested in geek magic but I have not being able to get any solid material on the subject. Can anyone recommend a good book on geek magic.

Oct 19, 2015
I know what a 'Geek' is, although people from different age groups will have completely different ideas what a 'Geek' is! Regardless, I have know idea what you mean by 'geek magic'? Is you on stage persona 'geek' or are you doing magic for a group of 'geeks' or both?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I know what a 'Geek' is, although people from different age groups will have completely different ideas what a 'Geek' is! Regardless, I have know idea what you mean by 'geek magic'? Is you on stage persona 'geek' or are you doing magic for a group of 'geeks' or both?

It has nothing to do with our current definition of geek. It has to do with circus freak type magic, it's usually physical in some way and looks like a stunt almost.

Harry Anderson explains it here:

Oct 19, 2015
Interesting.....but as a young man most all the magicians I saw perform included this type of magic in their routines....now I'm talking the late 1950's and early 60's.....to me these are 'Traditional' tricks....but if that's how most now define Geek magic, I get it!

Thanks for the explanations........

Reactions: 010rusty
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It has nothing to do with our current definition of geek. It has to do with circus freak type magic, it's usually physical in some way and looks like a stunt almost.

Harry Anderson explains it here:
So would Brian Brushwood's Bizzare Magic show qualify?
And what about when David Blaine Stuck that needle through his arm & Hand.... And the fire spit. Or would those not count since those were real?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Geek magic is a mixture of classic magic and side show stunts.

Blaine putting a needle or ice pick through himself is the Human Pincushion act. The water/kerosene thing is Regurgitation.

Geek magic tends to be slightly gorey, sometimes real, sometimes fake. I do a fair amount myself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results