Genesis V1

Nov 7, 2010
Just saw the trailer for genesis and saw this title: http://www.thecuso.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/genesisv1.jpg . Now as I said in some other posts I'm into animation and film, and so when I saw this I IMMEDIATELY thought of this http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/ancient_titles/ .

After close examination you can tell that the genesis title is basically the same thing with the text changed. The background texture is the same, the light rays are the same, particles are the same, the shadows, etc. Now my biggest pet peeve is using tutorials and just changing words around(in some cases colors too) and using that as a final product.

I believe that the concepts learned from the tutorials should be applied and used for more creative things. After seeing the impressive Sentinel video I was extremely disappointed by creators of the Genesis trailer for their lack of originality and creativity. Honestly, a simple text fade in fade out with some Z axis movement would have been better for me. I also noticed the trailer could have been a lot more elegant, especially with the great footage and color grading, but since it is the work of someone who most likely tried his hardest on it(except for that end title), I won't criticize it too much. I understand that most people won't recognize it as the work of another, and even though that work is openly distributed and allowed to be used by others, I hope that whoever worked on this project would try and use something more original. Perhaps they could show a card display closing or opening(Andrei's B4CUT maybe?) and revealing the text, it's not a hard, expensive, or especially time consuming effect and I don't think it would look too bad. You could green screen/chroma key, or just rotoscope a couple frames, to be honest I wouldn't mind doing taking the time to rotoscope it out. Just take footage with a decent fps so it isnt blurring each frame so you get a clear outline.

I would love to hear what the creators have to say about why they did this, but I'm interested in the communities opinion. It might not be a big deal for some, but don't you think that a project this nice should have a better end title for its trailer(Alright, it looks nice, but shouldn't they have come up with something themselves)?

PS: For those unfamiliar with VideoCopilot.net, it is one of the most popular and well known After Effects and 3D program tutorial sites out there, you can click the company or FAQ button for more info if you are questioning their credibility/legitimacy. They get hundreds of thousands of views for their tutorials and they also distribute products used in countless movies and shows. I've seen plenty of shows use their "Evolution" product (http://www.videocopilot.net/products/evolution/), which is OK by me, as long as they do not copy the tutorials and just change some details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
Sorry, you've missed out the bit where you told us why this matters.

Yes, of course, if Theory 11 were purporting to teach us After Effects, or to demonstrate their mastery of video production, then using someone else's tutorial would be a bit shoddy. However, the purpose of their output isn't to show off editing technique, it's to teach magic and cardistry. Therefore, as long as the editing is good enough to show the relevant content clearly, then I think that's enough. Making it all look pretty is just icing on the cake.

A comparable situation is creating a magic effect. You don't need to create all the individual moves yourself to make it a good trick. If someone's created and taught a good double-lift before, there's nothing wrong with using it. Would you also suggest that every writer should create their own font, or every musician should build their own instruments? I would propose that the content is the important thing.

Oh, and, if, as my reading-between-the-lines spectacles indicate, you're trying to put yourself forward for a job with Theory 11, then I would offer a friendly bit of advice that denigrating their work in their public forum isn't the way to go about it!

Nov 7, 2010
Sorry, you've missed out the bit where you told us why this matters.

Yes, of course, if Theory 11 were purporting to teach us After Effects, or to demonstrate their mastery of video production, then using someone else's tutorial would be a bit shoddy. However, the purpose of their output isn't to show off editing technique, it's to teach magic and cardistry. Therefore, as long as the editing is good enough to show the relevant content clearly, then I think that's enough. Making it all look pretty is just icing on the cake.

A comparable situation is creating a magic effect. You don't need to create all the individual moves yourself to make it a good trick. If someone's created and taught a good double-lift before, there's nothing wrong with using it. Would you also suggest that every writer should create their own font, or every musician should build their own instruments? I would propose that the content is the important thing.

Oh, and, if, as my reading-between-the-lines spectacles indicate, you're trying to put yourself forward for a job with Theory 11, then I would offer a friendly bit of advice that denigrating their work in their public forum isn't the way to go about it!

FYI Im 14 years old, can't get a job yet. Which also says that if I'm capable of doing something nice then whoever they hire who does it for a living should be able to do it better. My fault for not mentioning that. As I said this isnt a bit deal for some people, but I just thought using premade titles was kind of lame for such a great product(as i said again, well shot, great color grading). And in response to your second paragraph, there is a big difference between writers and musicians. Writers write a book, so it is the words that they use that matter. Musicians play music, so it is the sound that matters. An animator or editor edits/make an animation. Their job is to make an animation that looks good or compile a video together. Using something someone else made completely defeats the purpose in my opinion. Unless the person who made this was Andrew Kramer, who originally made the title and the tutorial, I think whoever did this could have done a better job.

And yes, I will agree that content is the most important, I just wanted to express disappointment for the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
You're fourteen? Fair enough then.

By the way, is any of your animation or video work available online? I'd genuinely like to see it. That's not sarcastic or some kind of challenge, just in case you interpreted it like that, I've just got what you might call "a professional curiosity" about the work of aspiring film-makers and video editors.

Nov 7, 2010
You're fourteen? Fair enough then.

By the way, is any of your animation or video work available online? I'd genuinely like to see it. That's not sarcastic or some kind of challenge, just in case you interpreted it like that, I've just got what you might call "a professional curiosity" about the work of aspiring film-makers and video editors.

Nope, I don't bother putting stuff online unless its a serious project, which I have never really gotten. Ive done work for others but it was just small things. I do make text animation tests and other effects to mess around with that are on my hard drive, but I can't go over 720p because my computer HDDs arent RAID'd. It can't view uncompressed Full HD. But if you would like me to make something you can give me an idea and I can see what I can do with it.

EDIT: Ill see if I can dig up some stuff from a while back I might have. I also don't currently have a video camera( my old tape camera broke a year ago) so I've mainly been doing text work that isnt worth much.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Ill see if I can dig up some stuff from a while back I might have. I also don't currently have a video camera( my old tape camera broke a year ago) so I've mainly been doing text work that isnt worth much.

Cool! Feel free to PM me when you've got something I can see.

Nov 7, 2010
Cool! Feel free to PM me when you've got something I can see.

OK, I tried sending a PM, not sure if it works. It shows as 0 messages sent. Anyways I have to go do something but I'll be sure to get it to you soon. If you didn't get anything can you please PM me instead?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results