Getting an audience for street magic : suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2009
This thread is mostly to help street magicians (along with myself) find better, more effective ways of getting an audience or attracting a crowd out on the streets.

To start, I have been performing street magic for a long time and at first I was hesitant on finding ways to introduce myself to people and get an audience going for some of my street magic. Over the years, I have learned that crowded tourists places (or any crowded place really) are where the action is, but you have to select specific people. One thing I watch out for are people that look like they have to run an errand, or are in a rush. Usually these people will brush you off and reject you very quickly. But for people just hanging out, socializing or just strolling around, these are great audiences to start performing street magic to. I usually just walk up to them, greet them, introduce myself and ask them if they have ever seen magic before. I also set up my "magic character" (easy going, mysterious) while doing this. At this point, I explain that I'm a street magician and ask them if they would like to see some magic. And then I proceed with my performance.

Also, another thing that really helps is being filmed (followed around by a personal camera man). When walking up to a group with a camera behind you, and then introducing yourself and telling them you're a magician, the camera hints to the group that you're the real deal if this is going to be on film. It also takes away the awkwardness of having a stranger walk up to them and start socializing with them. And then after the performance, you have your very own street magic video to show others.

Those are my methods of getting audiences and crowds to perform street magic to, and how I introduce myself to them. I know there are many other effective ways of doing this, so if anyone else has any suggestions or methods they use that they find effective feel free to share them!

Reactions: Jesse120502
This thread is mostly to help street magicians (along with myself) find better, more effective ways of getting an audience or attracting a crowd out on the streets.

To start, I have been performing street magic for a long time and at first I was hesitant on finding ways to introduce myself to people and get an audience going for some of my street magic. Over the years, I have learned that crowded tourists places (or any crowded place really) are where the action is, but you have to select specific people. One thing I watch out for are people that look like they have to run an errand, or are in a rush. Usually these people will brush you off and reject you very quickly. But for people just hanging out, socializing or just strolling around, these are great audiences to start performing street magic to. I usually just walk up to them, greet them, introduce myself and ask them if they have ever seen magic before. I also set up my "magic character" (easy going, mysterious) while doing this. At this point, I explain that I'm a street magician and ask them if they would like to see some magic. And then I proceed with my performance.

Also, another thing that really helps is being filmed (followed around by a personal camera man). When walking up to a group with a camera behind you, and then introducing yourself and telling them you're a magician, the camera hints to the group that you're the real deal if this is going to be on film. It also takes away the awkwardness of having a stranger walk up to them and start socializing with them. And then after the performance, you have your very own street magic video to show others.

Those are my methods of getting audiences and crowds to perform street magic to, and how I introduce myself to them. I know there are many other effective ways of doing this, so if anyone else has any suggestions or methods they use that they find effective feel free to share them!
even though i can't do it i would recommend flourishing near crowds...its eye candy remember...it gets the noticing something weird is going on with ordinary cards....when you have one person's attention, they all come.....its like a domino effect in reverse...

also start attracting crowds simply by performing for friends or someone you know...that will also have that reverse domino effect....

something i often do, is dress outlandish...c'mon, that says it all...something weird that will get attention then i start showing magic...once again...reverse domino...

whatever you do make sure that when you perform, make sure you perform something hard hitting...long magic demonstrations are boring.....

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
If you're just approaching people to do magic then you've already suggested one of the best ways. Look for people who are just hanging around and rock their socks off.

Cedric has some nice ideas, the outlandish clothing might not fit everyone's style or character, but a lot can come from that.

If you want to do street magic as it's traditionally known for (busking) then I would say you need a pitch. A pitch is the area you claim for yourself and draw crowds in order to perform. A pitch is also what you say/do to draw in the crowds.
Example: I remember Draven talking about a street show him and a friend did for some extra cash, his pitch was at a certain location every (however many days a week or whatever) and the other part of it...I guess we'll call it the 'gimmick', was that it was two people, a magician and a mentalist, who were basically competing against each other in a one-upmanship competition.

Doing the same tested routines every other street busking magician does will bring in crowds and money, but doing something that no other magician is doing will be novel to anyone on the street, even if they've seen magic before.

It may be difficult to get started with an idea, but once you've found something you can develop it easily by just setting up on the street and doing it over and over. The crowd didn't pay so they can't complain if something isn't working...and if something works well you can do it for every crowd until you have a good show.

That's all I have. Though I think a laid back, mysterious magician is a little overdone...what makes you different than all the other David Blaines on the street? (no insulting, just wondering)

If you're just approaching people to do magic then you've already suggested one of the best ways. Look for people who are just hanging around and rock their socks off.

Cedric has some nice ideas, the outlandish clothing might not fit everyone's style or character, but a lot can come from that.

If you want to do street magic as it's traditionally known for (busking) then I would say you need a pitch. A pitch is the area you claim for yourself and draw crowds in order to perform. A pitch is also what you say/do to draw in the crowds.
Example: I remember Draven talking about a street show him and a friend did for some extra cash, his pitch was at a certain location every (however many days a week or whatever) and the other part of it...I guess we'll call it the 'gimmick', was that it was two people, a magician and a mentalist, who were basically competing against each other in a one-upmanship competition.

Doing the same tested routines every other street busking magician does will bring in crowds and money, but doing something that no other magician is doing will be novel to anyone on the street, even if they've seen magic before.

It may be difficult to get started with an idea, but once you've found something you can develop it easily by just setting up on the street and doing it over and over. The crowd didn't pay so they can't complain if something isn't working...and if something works well you can do it for every crowd until you have a good show.

That's all I have. Though I think a laid back, mysterious magician is a little overdone...what makes you different than all the other David Blaines on the street? (no insulting, just wondering)
yeah take what he said....its great details....good info man...

Nov 9, 2009

I know what you mean, the whole mysterious character is overdone. I just put those as examples, I usually just interact with the crowd a lot with my own personality (which I think is the best way to go). Adding a little touch to it can help too, but I think people's own personalities when performing magic is what separates all the magicians and makes them different. Thanks for the response!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I know what you mean, the whole mysterious character is overdone. I just put those as examples, I usually just interact with the crowd a lot with my own personality (which I think is the best way to go). Adding a little touch to it can help too, but I think people's own personalities when performing magic is what separates all the magicians and makes them different. Thanks for the response!

Good. So you've taken your personality, blown it up bigger than life (I mean, we do the impossible fuhcryinoutlowd!), and then decided that you enjoy the mystery when presenting magic. As long as what you say is different then the thousand teenagers who copy word for word (all 10 of them) from Blaines TV specials then you actually are different. Sad but true.

And thanks Cedric, I've had a lot of good advice thrown on me, I don't come up with all this stuff-I just share it with others.

Nov 9, 2009
Good. So you've taken your personality, blown it up bigger than life (I mean, we do the impossible fuhcryinoutlowd!), and then decided that you enjoy the mystery when presenting magic. As long as what you say is different then the thousand teenagers who copy word for word (all 10 of them) from Blaines TV specials then you actually are different. Sad but true.

And thanks Cedric, I've had a lot of good advice thrown on me, I don't come up with all this stuff-I just share it with others.

Yeah I agree to that. Also, when I'm watching some magicians on youtube who have bought a couple of hard hitting tricks here on theory11, they use the same exact lines as the artists who invented the effect. I think that people should put their own personality into all of their tricks and not copy the other artists. I think that Blaine's character becomes kind of old when so many people use it.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Yeah I agree to that. Also, when I'm watching some magicians on youtube who have bought a couple of hard hitting tricks here on theory11, they use the same exact lines as the artists who invented the effect. I think that people should put their own personality into all of their tricks and not copy the other artists. I think that Blaine's character becomes kind of old when so many people use it.

You noticed too? It's pretty simple to change just a few things here and there and make an entirely new presentation...or just start from scratch.

However stages of character development are : You fail. You imitate and fail. You successfully imitate. You realize you should be yourself. You change and go through ups and downs. You have an original character, hurray!

That's not accurate or scientific by the way.

And next poster:::Get back on topic for us?

May 3, 2008
even though i can't do it i would recommend flourishing near crowds...its eye candy remember...it gets the noticing something weird is going on with ordinary cards....when you have one person's attention, they all come.....its like a domino effect in reverse...

also start attracting crowds simply by performing for friends or someone you know...that will also have that reverse domino effect....

something i often do, is dress outlandish...c'mon, that says it all...something weird that will get attention then i start showing magic...once again...reverse domino...

whatever you do make sure that when you perform, make sure you perform something hard hitting...long magic demonstrations are boring.....
I second flourishes and cameras. Just last week we needed to film a flourish video for school and an awesome setting was at the train station. We had to stop several times in between filming because people were staring at us and asked to see tricks.

Dec 27, 2015
Thanks for this thread. This is just what i need.
Good points, e. Viper. I was doing street magic at an outdoor festival last week, and I talked to small groups that were just casually walking by and not in a hurry.
Also, in cases like this, I will set up my harbin table, and just levitate a coin or dollar bill. Pretty much all the time, a person or persons will eventually get curious and approach, and then i can start my little show.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Thanks for sharing but no thread bumping, please. This thread was last active in 2009. Feel free to start a new thread though! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results