Getting back to this

Oct 4, 2007
Hey there just wanted to share
i am 17 and have been doing magic for about 6 months i did some flourishing as well. i took a hiatus because i noticed it was difficult to perform at school without getting shot down. but now people are always asking to see something and i miss learning so much so i want to get back into it.
i left off with basic coin magic and card sleights
i also picked up trilogy just before i left
i want to learn things to impress everyday
i don't have much cash being a high school senior but i will do what i need to learn
i bought gimmicks like distortion (broke) and panic and realized you just cant beat knowledge and at school gimmicks are uncool

i really don't know much of whats going on in the magic world now so can someone fill me in and suggest some new cutting edge tricks and collection and recommend what i should consider in coin and card magic.

when i left off bullet coin was all the rage and as much as i wanted to learn the effect i couldnt bring myself to buy one trick.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey there just wanted to share
i am 17 and have been doing magic for about 6 months i did some flourishing as well. i took a hiatus because i noticed it was difficult to perform at school without getting shot down. but now people are always asking to see something and i miss learning so much so i want to get back into it.
i left off with basic coin magic and card sleights
i also picked up trilogy just before i left
i want to learn things to impress everyday
i don't have much cash being a high school senior but i will do what i need to learn
i bought gimmicks like distortion (broke) and panic and realized you just cant beat knowledge and at school gimmicks are uncool

i really don't know much of whats going on in the magic world now so can someone fill me in and suggest some new cutting edge tricks and collection and recommend what i should consider in coin and card magic.

when i left off bullet coin was all the rage and as much as i wanted to learn the effect i couldnt bring myself to buy one trick.

I would suggest picking up Witness, which is a great, "nearly impromptu" effect from Lee Asher. Bullet from Ellusionist is a great effect to do at school, as well as Factory Sealed. Also, go through the Trilogy and learn Card to Mouth, TiVo, and Collectors, all of which are great, visual, impromptu card effects.

David

PS Woohoo 500th post!

Oct 4, 2007
alright one more thing i am an idiot when it comes to angles
i need tricks that are good with angles because there is always that jock that needs to stand behind you. lol
are the 2 CIB effects angle sensitive. plus i really don't wanna bring sandwich bags to school

but thanks and everyone please chime in.

also how does this TNR work with groups? can you do it low to them so they look down at the action?

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Bullet's angles are excellent. There is only one "bad" angle, but Justin teaches you how to easily cover it up. Besides, the trick happens so fast they don't have time to get a good look at everything.

Factory Sealed, on the other hand, has much more sensitive angles in one of the versions. The more visual version is more angle sensitive, while the less visual and quicker version has better angles because the trick is over before the audience thinks it is.

TnR is extremely angle sensitive. No, you can't have spectators looking down on you while you are performing. I would suggest Daniel Garcia's Torn if you are looking for a good T&R.

David

Oct 24, 2007
TnR is extremely angle sensitive. No, you can't have spectators looking down on you while you are performing. I would suggest Daniel Garcia's Torn if you are looking for a good T&R.

David
if you think about it you can do TnR for a group that is 360 degrees around you, i think it would work if you kneel down and do the restoration parallel to the ground so they see the back getting restored and the card face would face the ground, it could work

Oct 4, 2007
i wish there were lots on ebay of magic so i don't need to buy trick after trick in single auctions. would you say these cib's a practical school magic? any more suggestions?

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Go buy some books with some good sleights and effects rather than one single trick DVD.

I have to agree. I good investment would be to get the Art of Astonishment Series Volumes 1-3 by Paul Harris. They contain hundreds of visual effects, and you can always learn something new from them. I know I did.

David

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My advice... stop buying gimmicks.

Take some time, put in the effort and practice/polish up/perfect the essential slights.

Learn your DLs, double undercuts, hindu shuffle control, maybe a force.

Then, practice your patter, practice on your parents, do some good performances, learn from your bad performances.... in essence, become a magician, not a gimmick buyer/ practice for 5 min/ show to people, person.

It is true.. a gimmick trick takes little to make a big impression, but through practice of actual slights with non gaffed / gimmicked decks / items, you learn how to perform, and then when it comes to perform the gimmick tricks, you will do an even more AMAZING job.

Sooo, stop buying things from T11 (sorry for the bad salesmanship), continue to browse and learn from people on the forums... but go pick up some books / dvds that teach the essentials of magic.

Sep 1, 2007
I would recommend John Guastaferro's "Brainstorm" DVDs for some very powerful card magic - he does an excellent job of teaching the sleights involved as well, so it's a very useful learning resource.

Buying "tricks" isn't really the way to go; books and DVDs are a far more efficient investment. And, honestly, more fun! Learning is a pleasure in it's own right. Every now and then you'll get a book or DVD which has a gimmicked trick performed or explained, and every now and then you'll like it so much you want to add it to your repertoire - that's how I got started with the invisible deck and the mental photography deck. BUT, the only reason I invested in these "tricks" is because I regularly perform close up magic at corporate events, and I knew they would go down well with my audiences. There's no real satisfaction to performing them.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
practice on your parents

Just a quick point: this depends on your parents.

I just discovered this weekend that my dad ran an illegal blackjack house for years. I never knew. I thought I sucked at card sleights, so I never worked on them much and just accepted that I was incompetent. What was actually happening was that I would do a reasonably competent sleight, and my dad - a highly practiced expert in spotting card manipulation - would identify it immediately.

Find audiences, certainly. But find audiences that know how to critique. My level of interest in - and practice with - card magic would have been very, very different if my dad had actually bothered to say "I didn't see you do it, but I know what you did".

Sep 1, 2007
ok thanks, but i need suggestions for actual collections of tricks to buy

any suggestions?

What?

Did you not read the responses that all these people have posted, with suggestions for tricks, books and DVDs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Did you not read the responses that all these people have posted, with suggestions for tricks, books and DVDs?

There has been one suggestion for one specific collection of tricks. Everything else has been a series of suggestions for single tricks, or a vague mention that he should get - for example - "some books".

I don't buy this stuff, so I'm unqualified to make a recommendation. If I were to make one based on what other people say is good, I'd lean toward "Royal Road to Card Magic". Also on my short list would be Erdnase's "Expert at the Card Table" and Britland's "Phantoms of the Card Table". You should be able to get all three shipped from Amazon and pay under $50.

Oct 4, 2007
seriously dude i didnt want to join this forum for getting flamed. i just wanted more suggestions and i got two. why would you have to say that?

either way
looking for other DVD suggestions material that isnt ambitious card im not a beginner really, just need practice.

Sep 1, 2007
Art of Astonishment volumes 1, 2, 3 - a MASSIVE collection of tricks (in book form)

Brainstorm DVDs (volumes 1 and 2) once again - a significant collection of material.

Witness

Bullet

Factory Sealed

The Trilogy

Torn

That's 7 suggestions for your consideration (not counting the seperate volumes), which encapsulates HUNDREDS of tricks in total - everything from single tricks to books, to DVDs. For the record, there's only one ambitious card routine (that I'm aware of) in that lot, and it's on the Brainstorm DVDs.

Apparantly counting is also an issue...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results