Getting Into Magic

We see new magicians coming from all directions. Each of them with their own unique motive for their interest in magic. Do you believe that there is a certain "way" to get into magic? Should these newcomers be shown the way or should the learn it through their own experiences?

Is magic too easy to pick up nowadays?

Discuss...

Mitch

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure precisely what to say.

Maybe I'll explain what's appealing to me about learning magic...

I love fooling others, but I also love being fooled. There's something about that moment of astonishment that I love to feel. For me, magic is something that I want to experience as much as my spectators. I love being the Great and Terrible Wizard behind the curtain, but I also like being Dorthy, who is humbled by this behemoth of illusion.

People just getting into magic constantly feel that sense of wonder, as they are bombarded by this trick and that. It can be overwhelming. And it can lead newcomers to make bad decisions about learning magic. There is that constant drive to learn everything, to buy every product there is.

I think that people just getting started and magic vets alike need to remember that this is a performance art. It's not about the secret, it's about the magic. I think being fooled reminds us of that.

Newcomers need to be helped. We should do everything we can to let them know that it's OK. This is an art form that needs to have the art put back.

Hmmm...that's all just a big blob of raw gelatinous thought. But I think it gets the point across. Beginners need to learn to perform and be amazed. OK. Job done...

D

Deleted member 2755

We see new magicians coming from all directions. Each of them with their own unique motive for their interest in magic. Do you believe that there is a certain "way" to get into magic? Should these newcomers be shown the way or should the learn it through their own experiences?

Is magic too easy to pick up nowadays?

Discuss...

Mitch

Well, when most new people get into magic and come here asking what they should get, most people will suggest buying things such as The Royal Road to Card Magic, Card College, etc. However, I feel that someone just starting out should not get into these things.

I'm not gonna lie.... books more me to death. Every time I pick up Card College, I am bored to tears. Why? DVDs are just plain more entertaining to me. I read the books though because I know they have a lot more information than the DVDs will and things will only come easier in the future. Plus... exposure isn't too common from books. So I am a bit mature about it. However, because books bore me, I will commonly first recommend picking up other entertaining effects that aren't too difficult. I will usually recommend effects such as Stigmata, Sinful, Panic, Witness, Loops, etc. These are entertaining to watch and learn and performing will come fairly quickly after learning the effect.

These DVDs are what get people "into" magic. Once they watch these DVDs, they will then learn that not everything in magic is self working and sleights will have to come in. This is when the buying of books such as Card College will take place. I feel that DVDs are important to start with. They are also still great to buy throughout your magic career, however, I feel they are the absolute best way to draw people into magic and keep them there.

This is why magic popularity has sky rocketed to teenagers. You have a site like Ellusionist that has that "I'm better than you at life":cool: feel. You have people like Nathan Kranzo teaching loops in a room that looks like an abandoned warehouse.... haha. It just makes everything seem so incredibly awesome. Once the beginners grow out of that, books finally begin to start appearing on their shelves.

Just my 2 cents.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I think there are ways that you can get into magic properly, without avoiding all the hassle a lot of beginning magicians face.

For one thing, new magicians need to learn not to fall into the trap of buying everything they like. Many people (including me) began purchasing things left and right, but it didn't do us any good. As Lee Asher said, "A good magician knows 3 good tricks."

Another things we need to teach new magicians is that exposure and homemade tutorials are bad. Youtube tutorials on effects, sleights, and flourishes often teach incorrectly, leading to the downfall of their skills and their acceptance into the fiery brimstone called hell. Just kidding.

Kind of...

Anyway, I think those are two things we need to steer beginners away from.

Yeah...

David

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
I think this should be discused......lol

I showed the muscle pass to my friend and EVER since that, he started liking magic. For reelz. Kinda funny and wierd. He's been going to THAT site that DAVID j house of cards made. He thinks its agood site Hhaha.

Jan 11, 2008
france
honestly i dont like the way magic is sort of pop culture nowadays...Dont get me wrong its great that more people want to get into magic, but a couple years ago, getting into magic was either you buy some books or you make the effects up yourself. I find this way is at least creative. Reading a book = skill, thought, imagination and creativity. Making up effects= extreme creativity. I find what makes magic fun is that its chalenging.

Nowadays as soon as someone wants to get into magic they go to the first point of reference they can go to...the internet. where they are taught tricks by kids who have never really learnt a sleight in their life. If you see the "teacher" peform the trick badly, than you will be content peforming it badly too, therefore removing the challenge

quik short story, the other day a guy who saw me peform magic told me he was interested in learning magic, so i told him it was great and i recomended him a book and where he could buy it. The next day the guy told me he found something better, he learnt alot of "cool" tricks from youtube. He showed me what he learnt and the guy did not practice he was absolutely terrible at it, so i told him in the most polite way i possibly could, to go home and practice, because peforming badly is a disrespect to magic.

The next day I ask him how his magic is going and he tells me he found that he gets more popularity just telling people how the tricks are done than by doing them.

:( ladies and gentlemen here is my conclusion, magic is pop culture, this guy wanted to be "cool", and that was his reason to do magic, it realy angers me when people do things just to be cool, especially if it involves an art such as magic. So in one word YES magic is too easy to pick up on.

sorry i wrote so much I got carried away, i beleive that we should steer beggining magicians away from the youtube path and try to show them to respect the art before they begin learning effects.

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
Easy to get into, no. It takes time and practice. Some aren't into that, more interested in sports. I got my friend into magic, he's getting pretty good i guess. But honestly i don't think many are attracted to magic unless they need something to do or just see someone else do it. Thats how i got into it seeing someone else do it. But it's an art, you gotta be good at it or gotta practice alot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results