Getting into PK/Mentalism Magic?

I want to look more into getting into PK and Mentalism. I have seen a bit on people asking where to start and there is a smattery on places that would be the best take off point. I have heard that mentalism is a difficult field to get into but something that has been interesting me for a while. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Books or information that I should be looking for? What effects (if any) would be the best place to start at? What effects do you use often? How should I go about getting more into PK effects and Mentalism?

Thanks Very much for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Doing a general search on mentalism here in the forums you'll get great ideas. I'm just starting there with you, so lots of what I'm saying is a rehash of what the members in-the-know say...

Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism (bob cassidy), Practical Mental Magic (anneman) and 13 Steps (Corrinda) are great places to start and was a general concensus from the threads here. The why of these resources you'll find when you search out the threads. I love the books because they're resources where you get a lot of tricks for your investment which is common for books (the arguement that DVD's teach you tricks... books teach you magic)

At the same time, start taking tricks you already know and change the patter and presentation to put a mentalism spin on it. Many card tricks can easily cross over. Two single effects DVD's I love performing is Houchin's Stigmata (GREAT TRICK!) and Luke Jermay's Extraordinary Exibition of Seeing with the Fingertips. A third is Danny Garcia's Joe Blow from his DG Project. Might not be a traditional Mentalism Effect but it fits the character I play.

My two kunucks....

Have fun trolling the Forums

Jan 16, 2008
Joe Blow? Don't have good memories with that lad...people see through him every time I perform him.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results