Gig Reflection

Jun 1, 2009
No, I'm not trying to copy Rick here haha, but I feel like even though I'm not a "pro" at kid's birthday's yet, I still feel like people can take away something from my experience as well, because I sure did.

My gig was 1:00, outside, in the heat. I was wearing pants, a button down, a vest, and a blazer. Oh boy, here comes the sweat bullets.

I open up with a little line I like. I say "if I do something you like, put your hands together and do this *claps*." Then I say "if I do something you don't like, put your hands up and do this *claps again*" It gets a bit of a laugh, mainly from the parents. ( I don't claim rights to this line.)

I had mainly 8 year olds and a maybe one or two 10 year olds. In between effects they would talk a bit, so it was hard to get their attention all back for the next effect.

Every trick seemed to go really well, minus a bit of a mess up on TT blendo. When I went to steal the blendo, I pulled out a baby sponge bunny instead, so I had to go back in my pocket. It was all just really awkward. It sucked because I practiced a bunch before the gig, so I don't know how that could have happened.

I did a cut and restored rope, but the kid's kind of confused themselves on it in the beginning by saying we would get 4 pieces of rope when I cut it? I don't know what happened there. After that it seemed to go over their heads a bit, so I need to clarify it a bit more next time.

The Breakaway wand went better than last time, it broke at the right time instead of prematurely, and it got a better reaction. Also the clown popping up in "You're the Star" went over well, and my adult helper was a great sport.

Like Rick's show, they didn't clap a whole lot, so I would say thank you to my volunteer and clap for them, which got the other kid's clapping.

Only the birthday girl's parents were there, so I couldn't really hand out business cards to other parents, but I told the dad if he wouldn't mind handing some out for me when the kids got picked up. He seemed to really enjoy the show and was more than happy to help me out.

I ended with balloon animals, and made a big jester hat for the birthday girl.

All in all, much better than my first party, but I still have work to do. With each performance you only get better.

Line up:
1. Sponge bunnies, ending in 5" bunny production
2. Cups and Balls
3. Magic coloring book
4. Thumb tip blendo (turned white silks into colored silks with change bag, and breakaway wand.)
5.Cut and Restored Rope
6. French Kiss (with blank cards and different colored sharpies for our names) with the birthday girl
7. David Ginn's You're the Star.

Thanks for reading!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Thanks for sharing Jacob. I've got to find a different outfit for bday party gigs when it is about 85 and sunny as well. Shirt and Tie or blazer and I'm soaked in sweat. Ha Ha. Perhaps my summer character will have to be a bit more laid back. Transitioning between effects is difficult for a lot of magicians including myself.

Jun 1, 2009
Exactly, I'll have to get some short sleeved button downs and a nice pair of flat fronts haha.
I agree, especially when the kid's probably don't care about any real meaning in the effects. Oh well, live and learn.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results