Gig Wednesday

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,
This Wednesday I have a gig at a hair salon. I got the gig when I performed some magic tricks for the people there after I got my haircut. They were impressed and asked me to perform for the open house.

This is a really big deal for the salon because they have not officially opened and people are coming that are invited to come in party and have some fun. My job is to walk around and perform magic to people. They should be about 30-40 years old give or take.

My main focus is on card tricks, triumph, biddle card trick, ACR, etc. but I might use my scotch n' soda routine i have been working on for about 2 months.

I was just hoping you all could give me some advice on how to present myself, how to approach the people, and if you have any good card tricks that you think I should consider please let me know. This is my FIRST magic gig.

Thank you.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Since it is your first gig I would suggest sticking to a few self workers and some things that don't require a whole lot of difficult sleights.

You will need to focus more on presentation, smiling, being polite, and just plain "having fun" with the guests. Entertain them but don't be doing such difficult material or trying out new things that you may be unsure of yet.

Your personality is what "wins" them over. I have heard this so many times I have stopped counting. Be a "likable guy".

Don't be rude and if you do mess up an effect, which it does happen, NEVER blame the spectator. You take the blame.

Also...do not rush though everything. Let the magic soak in. I've seen so many times including myself in the beginning that you want to run from person to person just frying their minds and then they don't even allow the magic from the previous effect set in.

Just a few words of wisdom. Hope it helps.

Jul 25, 2008
Upstate New York
I'm sure you do fine, because I've seen your videos on youtube and your really good. Anyway, I also just had my first gig the other day, and there was a small mess-up. Don't be discouraged if you mess up, because its your first time, but since you are performing with mostly cards, I would keep an invisible deck in your pocket, for the worst case. If you get to the point where you don't get the card, which is pretty rare in most cases, you can just pull out the invisible deck and present it.

Also, try to get lots of people involved, and just like reverhart said, be polite, and try to have as best presentation and patter as possible.

Good luck and post how the gig went after whenever you can. I'd like to hear how it went.

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
Since it is your first gig I would suggest sticking to a few self workers and some things that don't require a whole lot of difficult sleights.

You will need to focus more on presentation, smiling, being polite, and just plain "having fun" with the guests. Entertain them but don't be doing such difficult material or trying out new things that you may be unsure of yet.

Your personality is what "wins" them over. I have heard this so many times I have stopped counting. Be a "likable guy".

Don't be rude and if you do mess up an effect, which it does happen, NEVER blame the spectator. You take the blame.

Also...do not rush though everything. Let the magic soak in. I've seen so many times including myself in the beginning that you want to run from person to person just frying their minds and then they don't even allow the magic from the previous effect set in.

Just a few words of wisdom. Hope it helps.

Thank you very much this helped a lot.

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
I'm sure you do fine, because I've seen your videos on youtube and your really good. Anyway, I also just had my first gig the other day, and there was a small mess-up. Don't be discouraged if you mess up, because its your first time, but since you are performing with mostly cards, I would keep an invisible deck in your pocket, for the worst case. If you get to the point where you don't get the card, which is pretty rare in most cases, you can just pull out the invisible deck and present it.

Also, try to get lots of people involved, and just like reverhart said, be polite, and try to have as best presentation and patter as possible.

Good luck and post how the gig went after whenever you can. I'd like to hear how it went.

Thanks I like the idea with the invisible deck I might have to use that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results