Gimmickless Mentalism

Sep 10, 2017
I’ve been looking for a good gimmickless piece of mentalism (without cards) that I could carry around with me. It doesnt matter wether it’s a video or a book, but I need some recommendations.
Preferably I like the which hand effects, but I havent yet found one that is gimmickless and almost surefire.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Pick up Annemann’s Practical Mental Magic and Fulves’s Self Working Mental Magic. There is so much material in those two books you can’t go wrong

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I havent yet found one that is gimmickless and almost surefire.

If that's a requirement you're not ready for mentalism, you're after mental magic.

RealityOne's suggestions are correct - that will give you plenty of material and will probably be less than $20 for both.

Another suggestion: Psychophysiological Thought Reading.

Also - you said "gimmickless" but do you mean that, or propless? Big difference.

Sep 10, 2017
If that's a requirement you're not ready for mentalism, you're after mental magic.

RealityOne's suggestions are correct - that will give you plenty of material and will probably be less than $20 for both.

Another suggestion: Psychophysiological Thought Reading.

Also - you said "gimmickless" but do you mean that, or propless? Big difference.
If billets and stuff like that are considered props, I’m fine with that. I was more talking about like mechanical and electronic stuff. Or things like gimmicked boxes and that sort of thing.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Props are just the things you use while doing the material. Billets, cards, coins, etc. Gimmicks are things that look like props but are altered in some way to allow you to accomplish something the "real" prop was not meant to do.

So a wallet is a prop. A peek wallet is a gimmick.

Sep 10, 2017
Props are just the things you use while doing the material. Billets, cards, coins, etc. Gimmicks are things that look like props but are altered in some way to allow you to accomplish something the "real" prop was not meant to do.

So a wallet is a prop. A peek wallet is a gimmick.
Thanks for your reply.

Sep 29, 2018
I guess I'm a bit late... anyways...

I happen to have both the books suggested. And yes, both of them are amazing.

But if you want some material to perform right away, get Anneman's. Fulves' work is sweet, but it's just that...sweet. The ideas in there are pretty great, but they are SO ancient that most of them have to be adapted, while Anneman's work is more adaptable and can be picked up easily. They fit better in today's world than Fulves'.

But then, do remember, some of Anneman's work requires skill, not the MAX MALINI level dexterity, but still, it requires you to know certain things already. If you can keep up with that (and judging by your previous posts, you very well can...) then Anneman's the way to go.

Sep 10, 2017
I guess I'm a bit late... anyways...

I happen to have both the books suggested. And yes, both of them are amazing.

But if you want some material to perform right away, get Anneman's. Fulves' work is sweet, but it's just that...sweet. The ideas in there are pretty great, but they are SO ancient that most of them have to be adapted, while Anneman's work is more adaptable and can be picked up easily. They fit better in today's world than Fulves'.

But then, do remember, some of Anneman's work requires skill, not the MAX MALINI level dexterity, but still, it requires you to know certain things already. If you can keep up with that (and judging by your previous posts, you very well can...) then Anneman's the way to go.
Thanks for the reply, I just started studying Anneman yesterday. It seems like a real bible for mentalism. I tried reading corrinda in the past and with no luck. But Anneman seems to be a better read for me.

Jan 1, 2019
Banachek, Peter Turner and Jon Thompson wrote books about propless mentalism which are worth reading.

You really should give Corinda another try because it's the bible when it comes to mentalism. In some cases you only need a billet and a pen.

Sep 10, 2017
Banachek, Peter Turner and Jon Thompson wrote books about propless mentalism which are worth reading.

You really should give Corinda another try because it's the bible when it comes to mentalism. In some cases you only need a billet and a pen.
Thanks. I’ll try Corrinda again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results