GIMMICKS vs SLEIGHTS

Jul 15, 2009
GIMMICKS vs SLEIGHT

I listened to the roundtable discussion of Wayne Houchin, and part of what he said is that "Why go through all the technicality in trying to achieve a card transpo with an ordinary deck of cards, if you can easily use a duplicate to do it."

Personally, I disagree with this. A card transpo can be done with little technicality even without the use of a gimmick.Don't get me wrong gimmicks are fun and hell easy to use. But in my opinion, it takes away the power from the magician.Why?Duplicates,gimmicks, blank cards etc, may give a lasting impression to the spectators, but after that what?

Let's say you'll meet the same group of spectators again and that they want you to perform the trick you did for them previously.(This might sound like breaking the rules, but look it up, Jay Sankey had a principle that states that fulfilling request can be done in magic just like repeating a trick, but you have to set conditions for the spectators to do so)(Joshua Jay also states the application of the Ham Sandwhich Effect in his book)What will you do?

Lets say you did a mindblowing torn and restored effect using a gimmick. And out of the blue you are requested to do the same trick again?(either in the near future or in a different group who previously learned about your effect)Let just say that you're caught impromptu.WHat will you do?

Man,in my opinion, it sucks to tell eager spectators that you can't do the trick for them. Of course you can't tell them that you left the gimmick in your jeans last week. That's a major no no...This is what I mean by gimmicks take your power away from you.

On the other hand, if your magic is purely sleight of hand, but uses a variety of ordinary objects, an impromptu issue would be nothing. You can easily apply the Ham Sandwhich effect.

Sleight of hand skills are the very treasures that a magician keeps. Even without a medium (gimmick)these talents have the power to bend reality for the spectators.

In card magic, well, a large variety of gaff cards had been printed daily...But ask yourself, will these things give me power or take it away from me?Duplicates in my opinion only serve as lazy means for a magician. It makes even the props illogical.

Where in the world can you find a deck of cards with two ace of spades?None.The only reason a person uses it or keeps it in a deck is to fool the next group.What if they request you to do it with their own deck of cards?
Can you do it?

But with sleight of hand and your performing style, as well as your repertoire, these are,for me,the tools of a great magician.Don't worry about a card transpo without a dupe, that's what the sleight of hand artists in theory11 are here for, to make the impossible-possible.

I salute those artists that find innovative ways to achieve a certain effect without gimmicks and funny props, for you are giving power to magician, rather than taking it away from them...

Feb 28, 2008
I used to feel the same way, but I've really come to appreciate gaffs, gimicks, and dupes over the past few years. In my opinion, gaffs are worth the extra time, money, and pocket space for the simple fact that many gaff tricks get some of the biggest reaction of tricks that I do. While I might not use them for a simple transpo effect, I will use them for really big effects.

For example, Distortion by W:H has always given me such great reactions from my spectators. I really do not feel my set should have to suffer because I don't want to "get caught" in the future. And after performing some gaff tricks, I have often been asked to do it again - Twilight Angels comes to mind - but you shouldn't let your audience tell you what to do. You don't have to be a jerk about it, but just say, "I don't feel like doing that one right now, but here's something new I've been working on" and do something you can perform at the moment (like a duplicate free transpo).

Magic, in my opinion is in the eye of the spectator. It's how they perceive what you're doing. A bad double lift is much worse than doing a trick that requires a gaff. It's unfortunate that it seems many magicians look at gaffs as "cheating" in a way and that when you're performing "clean" it's as close to real magic as you can get, but it's what the audience believes you are doing that's most important, not what you're actually doing. As a magician, you make your audience believe that something impossible is possible - it's their perception that makes it magic, not your method.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Ok i will give you some advice :

1. Stop think about stuff like this.
2. Study more or get a full time jobb.
3. Get a girlfriend.

I wonder if musicians have the same problem..

I can imagine Bono and The Edge from U2 sitting in a bar talking :

Bono : I could not sleep last night because i had some thoughts in my head.

Edge : What thoughts?

Bono : You know, we just spent 100 million dollars to build the biggest stage ever for out tour but.... What if someone sees a show and then walks up to us in a bar and asks us to play! and we dont have the cool stage whit us!!! They wont be impressed!!

Edge : OH! MAN! WE CANT LET THAT HAPPEND!! LETS JUST USE Acoustic guitars and bongo drums and play in peoples living rooms!

Jun 22, 2009
Magic is founded off of props.. Gaffs are props. They achieive the effect but still require the the handling to be a presentation.

Jul 15, 2009
I used to feel the same way, but I've really come to appreciate gaffs, gimicks, and dupes over the past few years. In my opinion, gaffs are worth the extra time, money, and pocket space for the simple fact that many gaff tricks get some of the biggest reaction of tricks that I do. While I might not use them for a simple transpo effect, I will use them for really big effects.

For example, Distortion by W:H has always given me such great reactions from my spectators. I really do not feel my set should have to suffer because I don't want to "get caught" in the future. And after performing some gaff tricks, I have often been asked to do it again - Twilight Angels comes to mind - but you shouldn't let your audience tell you what to do. You don't have to be a jerk about it, but just say, "I don't feel like doing that one right now, but here's something new I've been working on" and do something you can perform at the moment (like a duplicate free transpo).

Magic, in my opinion is in the eye of the spectator. It's how they perceive what you're doing. A bad double lift is much worse than doing a trick that requires a gaff. It's unfortunate that it seems many magicians look at gaffs as "cheating" in a way and that when you're performing "clean" it's as close to real magic as you can get, but it's what the audience believes you are doing that's most important, not what you're actually doing. As a magician, you make your audience believe that something impossible is possible - it's their perception that makes it magic, not your method.

I agree with you there that magic is in the eyes of the spectator. Honestly I used to bring around a small bag of tricks, gimmicks etc.Reactions were great too. But as time passed by, these were becoming a hassle for me to carry around. A deck though is much easier to bring around.

Um...This brings me back to what Wayne Houchin said again.Its a different statement but i think it applies here. "there are a few magicians in the world that can combine technicallity and connection with the audience."By this i think he wants to elaborate that only a few magicians can give spectators a great reaction as well as preserve their powers too.This poses as a challenge for us magicians. Can we deliver a magical experience with only our skills?That's another related point i want to make...

Jul 15, 2009

3. Get a girlfriend.

Bono : You know, we just spent 100 million dollars to build the biggest stage ever for out tour but.... What if someone sees a show and then walks up to us in a bar and asks us to play! and we dont have the cool stage whit us!!! They wont be impressed!!

Edge : OH! MAN! WE CANT LET THAT HAPPEND!! LETS JUST USE Acoustic guitars and bongo drums and play in peoples living rooms!

Nice one...Hahahahahaha :)

In my opinion I think that slight of hand is great for those of us that can do it, but gaffs and gimmicks add to it.

I've just been making up a load of gimmicks, and no I wouldn't use them everyday, but if I build up to it, it creates a great ending to a set.

I wouldn't just use gimmicks, but with a few gaffs and enough pockets for deck switches the spectator will think you are a minor miracle worker.

If you're just starting in the art of magic, I would strongly tell you to avoid gimmicks, as when you've learnt the skills to amaze anyone anywhere, you can start adding bits to your own repetoire.

I like many magicians at some point didn't have a life for about 3 years. In this time I learnt all I needed to know regarding slights. I bought every book and when I realised that most secrets are simple, I took it out to amaze people.

Now I'm a professional magician, I've been on TV, and I've recently been amazing the stunt doubles on Harry Potter.

So yes, I agree with you WHEN you are a beginner, but when you get better and want to create special moments for people use gimmicks.

Simon_Magic

3. Get a girlfriend.

please dont tell me you actually listen to this noise. Your advice is rather horrible considering you dont know what your talking about.

May 29, 2009
I don't feel there is anything wrong using gaff cards or gimmick to perform magic to your spec. To your spec, even you are using a gaff card or just using sleight of hand it doesn't make any differ to them cos to them you are just performing magic, they won't care less are you using a gimmick or gaff cards.

Sep 17, 2009
ENGLAND
Sleights V gimmicks.

:):):) Hey there guys!! gimmicks and sleights have been used way before our time, even my time and Iam a old fart. lol. I think at the end of the day magic is what you make it guys!! I have so many gimmicks at my home that I have collected for my magic over the last 7 years, But also find that I use so many sleights in my magic. Which never cost me nothing except a little pratice, but if I was told that I cant use my gimmicks anymore I would be pissed off!! because they are worth around £ 800. So at the end of the day the result on this debate is a draw for me.;);

Jul 13, 2009
There is no reason onto why you should or should not use gaffs. I use holy grail torn and restored card all the time, if I am asked to do it again which is hardly ever I failed to connect properly.

Who ever gave the music analogy thing needs to step back a bit a gaff to music is like a pick. You can get away with the thrash using only your finger but some musicians prefer to use a pick. Which is the same with magicians some prefer to use a knuckle busting sleight of hands, while others would rather just use a gimmick.

Also do not believe me about the pick vs pickless thing watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS7NXRQXem4

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
"The end justifies the means" -Brad Christian.

Sure it's Brad Christian who said that, but I think its great advice.
You only have one chance to impress, why not make it something unbelievable? Hence the use of a gimmick.

It is also important to have skills to back it up with thou. So I think both sleight and gimmicks are equally as important.

Use gimmicks to compliment your magic rather than to create it.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
so, OP, you'd be willing to shut the door on gimmicks and all the incredible effects you could produce, purely because you couldn't redo the trick if someone asked you to again? doesn't really seem logical.
seriously, if that's your only reason, please reconsider.
if you don't want to use gimmicks you are only limiting yourself.
as for trasnposition effects, i know many magicians, including myself who always carry a deck with a duplicate. i only use it for in the spectators hands, because i like my magic to include the spectators as much as possible. if they ask me to do it with their deck, i just do whatever that trick of surfaced is where you clipshift with a 3 card packet, rum jungle i think. they don't remember routines down to the most minute level. it seems the same to them, and it gets the same reactions. even if it is a slightly weaker effect than doing a dupe transpo, it satisfies them if they ask me to "do the one where the cards change".

and again, many magicians, including myself always have an invisible deck on them, and when people ask for it, i never disappoint.

it's so worth carrying gimmicks around. the effects you can produce are much stronger.

Jul 15, 2009
I like to acknowledge your quote that you only get one chance to impress a spectator. Maybe it comes down to the magician's preference.If your a gimmick dude, its your call,if your a sleight dude, its your thing.Backing up gimmicks with skill is also a good call.

But however,I have to disagree with you that using only sleight of hand is limiting yourself. I believe in the saying in that "Any effect is possible." And by that sooner or later a new magician, or one of the artists here in theory11 will invent a new way to achieve the same great effect.And with nothing but the skin on their palm.Using ordinary objects or a deck in this case is no exemption.

Here's another turn around to this debate. Yeah, you've managed to receive great reactions from a group using your gimmicks. And you are asked to do the same effect with an ordinary deck(same situation guys, it's tiring to type it again)If you had used a gimmick, the effect you substituted will not be as strong as the one they are expecting. But if your previous effect will make use of sleights, and you manage to produce the same miracle with THEIR deck, which now is a greater effect?

Using sleights over gimmicks produces a different level of astonishment for the spectators.Why?It heightens the magical moment and defines you as truly magical.YOu were able to do a miracle with THEIR DECK, with THEIR STUFF.This in my opinion is one thing that gimmicks can never take away from sleights.The most commercial and down to Earth effects is down without a gimmick.

THe magical moment is heightened even more if you've done this for the first time to a new group. You've been able to conjure magic with their things.And this for me is a one shot deal and effect that makes a better effect for them and one of the greatest ways to impress them.

All concepts here is from ANYTIME ANYWHERE by Jay Sankey...

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I like to acknowledge your quote that you only get one chance to impress a spectator. Maybe it comes down to the magician's preference.If your a gimmick dude, its your call,if your a sleight dude, its your thing.Backing up gimmicks with skill is also a good call.

But however,I have to disagree with you that using only sleight of hand is limiting yourself. I believe in the saying in that "Any effect is possible." And by that sooner or later a new magician, or one of the artists here in theory11 will invent a new way to achieve the same great effect.And with nothing but the skin on their palm.Using ordinary objects or a deck in this case is no exemption.

Here's another turn around to this debate. Yeah, you've managed to receive great reactions from a group using your gimmicks. And you are asked to do the same effect with an ordinary deck(same situation guys, it's tiring to type it again)If you had used a gimmick, the effect you substituted will not be as strong as the one they are expecting. But if your previous effect will make use of sleights, and you manage to produce the same miracle with THEIR deck, which now is a greater effect?

Using sleights over gimmicks produces a different level of astonishment for the spectators.Why?It heightens the magical moment and defines you as truly magical.YOu were able to do a miracle with THEIR DECK, with THEIR STUFF.This in my opinion is one thing that gimmicks can never take away from sleights.The most commercial and down to Earth effects is down without a gimmick.

THe magical moment is heightened even more if you've done this for the first time to a new group. You've been able to conjure magic with their things.And this for me is a one shot deal and effect that makes a better effect for them and one of the greatest ways to impress them.

Well, some effects CANT be done without gimmicks no matter what. It just CANT.

You might have this problem if you are performing for the same group of friends and for your family. But most magicians are actually doing shows for people who are paying you to performe and its all about having the greatest show possible.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS

like the guy above me said, this is only a problem if you're performing to the same group you've already performed for. most people/customers/randoms you perform for have probably never seen a magician close up before, or if they have, it was awhile ago, and will probably never see one again, maybe a few years later. so meh. and the chances that they have a deck of cards on them and then they ask you to repeat the trick are pretty low.

and you can still use some gimmicks with borrowed decks. i did the tarantula haunted pack with a borrowed deck. double the reaction. repeated the effect with a borrowed pack. some of the best reactions i've ever gotten.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results