Glide, different opinions?

Aug 15, 2017
I have seen different books have different views on which fingers should ACTUALLY do the glide. All of them have their own advantages and disadvantages.

RRTCM says to use only the ring finger, while Nicholas Einhorn says to use all three fingers except the index finger...then I have seen YT videos with people using the middle and the ring fingers...

Which one is actually 'correct' (for the lack of a better term)? Is it really that adaptable?

I currently do the RRTCM way, viz. using ONLY the ring finger, but that causes problems some times. So I was wondering whether I should stick to it and perfect it or is it okay if I try out different fingers?

I mean, it won't affect me in the long run, will it?

Like, there are some sleights which if you don't do the way it is actually described, then it hinders your improvement in respect to that particular sleight.

Thoughts?

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
All good questions.

I've done mine with my ring finger simply for the size of my hands. They're on the larger side and using the one gives me a little better control without looking like I'm holding the deck in an unusual way.

Like most techniques with cards, books teach the principal really well but the technique usually will be best when adapted to your own hands. Do what feels most comfortable. Watch what it looks like in the mirror when you actually remove the bottom card and then do the Glide and try and align the similarities with both.

B.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results