Good Bridge-sized deck?

Jan 31, 2018
Hey all -- new to all this and have at of questions:
First, finding a standard poker sized deck sometimes hard to wield (like trying the color change -- difficulty masking and maneuvering...thinking starting with a bridge sized deck? I admit to loving the aesthetic of all the Theory11 cards but can't seem to find any that are bridge size. Am I stuck for now with Bicycle cards?

Also...should I be breaking in decks rather than leaving them stiff? I've been afraid to really bend and flex the deck I have (Monarchs)...AND...card finishes? Trying to do the color change with the Monarchs I can't get a grip to slide the card out...too slick? Is that a thing?

Appreciate patience and any guidance for this newbie!!!

Sep 10, 2017
You should break in a deck to use its true potential.
And about bridge size cards, i definitely prefer poker sized since bridge size is too wide and too hard to palm cards with.
I do own a few bridge size bee decks. You should just look for them. Check them out at Amazon. If you look at the dimensions you will find some bridge size ones.

Reactions: Mellex

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Bridge sized is narrower than Poker sized. That's the only difference between them.

In general a wide (poker) size playing card is 2.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall. A narrow (bridge) size playing card is 2.25 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall.

This is because Bridge hands tend to have a ton of cards, so they are narrower to be able to fit more in the hand comfortably. Poker hands are only up to 5 cards, so they can be wider.

Personally, I say since Poker sized is generally the most common for playing cards, that is what you should practice with.

If Mahdi Gilbert (Google him) can work with poker sized decks, so can you.

Practically speaking - If you learn with poker sized cards, you can use bridge sized cards no problem. If you learn with bridge sized cards, you're going to find poker sized cards (which are far more common) to be quite challenging.

I am willing to bet your hands are not smaller than mine - you just need to practice.

And don't be afraid of bending/warping cards. They'll bend back. And they are consumable items. You're going to be replacing them regularly no matter what.

Jan 31, 2018
Bridge sized is narrower than Poker sized. That's the only difference between them.

This is because Bridge hands tend to have a ton of cards, so they are narrower to be able to fit more in the hand comfortably. Poker hands are only up to 5 cards, so they can be wider.

Personally, I say since Poker sized is generally the most common for playing cards, that is what you should practice with.

If Mahdi Gilbert (Google him) can work with poker sized decks, so can you.

Practically speaking - If you learn with poker sized cards, you can use bridge sized cards no problem. If you learn with bridge sized cards, you're going to find poker sized cards (which are far more common) to be quite challenging.

I am willing to bet your hands are not smaller than mine - you just need to practice.

And don't be afraid of bending/warping cards. They'll bend back. And they are consumable items. You're going to be replacing them regularly no matter what.

Okay...I kind of thought all this. ;) Is it different w/ cardistry vs. magic? As far as stiff vs. broken in, smooth vs. rougher? Or should I just shut up and watch some vids here and on youtube? :D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm not into cardistry so I really can't speak to that. For magic you want broken in cards that are flexible and smooth against each other.

Jan 31, 2018
I'm not into cardistry so I really can't speak to that. For magic you want broken in cards that are flexible and smooth against each other.
Okay, thank you. I have a Monarch deck I know I need to break in, but I also wonder about texture? Does that come into play? Still working on learning the color change and I find my hand does not grip the card to slide it out. Is that me or is that a card finish/texture thing? TY again for tolerating all my questions! :D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
When you say "the color change" are you referring to the classic change? Also known as the Erdnase Change and the Houdini Change?

That's more a matter of your skin having enough 'tack' to be able to draw the hidden card back than the finish of the cards themselves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results