Good tricks from Art of Astonishment?

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I've heard quite a bit of praise for the AoA books by Paul Harris, but I was wondering which tricks from these books you actually get good use out of.
I have been thinking about purchasing these, but wanted to know of the practicality of the material first.

Oct 30, 2008
There is something for everyone in these books, I can't tell you what's the best trick because that cannot be determined. Everyone has a different style and character, so my favorite trick probably won't be yours.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Everything in these books is practical and intended for real world use (unless it's a jokey item- read: 'Air')

My favourite effects are...

Bizarre Twist
Double Monte
Reset
Tic Tac
Seductive switch
Free flight
Mondo Nifty invisible palm
King Solomon's drink
Sliding ink
Up the ladder sequence (a collabarotion of idea's from PH and Charlie Miller)
Backlash
Solid deception
Las Vegas leaper
Cardicians Blendo
Paper chase

But this list is not intensive. There are loads of more items in the books well worthy of attention.

CL

Dec 12, 2008
Singapore
AOA - Collectors' item?

I've heard about the book and read a little write-ups on the book. It seems like a fantastic piece of book u would want to be in your library.....and from the price Amazon.com is selling and even the used ones are a little pricey. Soon, it may become a collector's item......From the write ups and recommendation I believe this is a good buy.

I'm always amazed at Card tricks and used to admire those sleezy and sleighty moves, but I never really get into card tricks seriously until recently upon discovering theory 11 by accident. It just shot my adrenaline to peak and I got back into it. So I would consider myself a beginner and the question is this Can somebody advise me on purchasing this book considering, u can get lots of better tutorials on dvd nowadays? Would a book like AOA still worth to own?......All opinions and advice is well appreciated.

Jul 29, 2008
s

yes art of astonishment is pricey for the entire set, but the value is alot better than dvds. you're getting i believe it's 222 effects for 110 dollars, which is a very good deal. the effects are very good, paul harris has a very creative mind. he also has weird humor that he uses to entertain you throughout the read, and the teaching is easy to learn from.i only have book 1 and just got book 3 a week ago, but heres a list of what i use/practicing/are going to practice.

book 1
unshuffling rebecca
buck naked fantasy
open revelation
machine gun aces
color stunner
solid deception
bizzare/cros twist
recao
molotov cocktail
vanish 5000
reset
ultimate ripoff
lalalulus-i really like this effect.
thats all i can think of right now.

book 3, i havnt really used any of these yet besides tic tac, but ill give you a list of what i looked into and like so far.
leaf
limo service
whack your pack-juke
tictac- funny story, i did this for my brother yesterday who doesnt really enjoy magic, but he was bored so he came up to me and asked me to do something
i had tic-tac set up, and i performed it, and he just stood there with the box for quite a long time astonished.
anything deck
those are the only ones i looked into on book 3 so far.

Jun 30, 2008
Can somebody advise me on purchasing this book considering, u can get lots of better tutorials on dvd nowadays? Would a book like AOA still worth to own?

Not trying to be hard on u or anything, but I find that books are actually a lot better than DVDs. I believe that magic DVDs are WAY overpriced, and you don't get nearly the same amount of effects and descriptions. yes, it may be faster to learn from DVDs, but the only other thing one gets from a DVD is ripped off. (im not saying ALL DVDs are bad, but many are certainly rip-offs).

so, i think that you should definitely buy the books, which are actually very reasonably priced considering the amount of effects contained in these books. i only have the first AoA book, and i use the effects all of the time and plan on buying the other two.

good luck,
zz

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
the Art of Astonishment set is one of the best purchases I have made in Magic.
It may be pricey, but seriously, its worth it.
It has almost 30X more material than the DVD Art of Astonishment.
You can also see some of his work in his Stars of Magic DVD set which is also great.
The Stars of Magic DVDs have almost 40 tricks and thats still 1/6 of what you get in the books.
The three books arent really seperated into sections such as cards, coins, etc. But there are some serious gems. You may not like the fact that it does not specifically teach cards or coins or what ever, but seriously. This is great stuff practical for the real world. Looks like real magic and seems like on the spot.
I cant even name the best things in the book. If you try out each effect, youll see how great they are.
He teaches you tricks, nacks, and just awesome little tid bits.
For example tricks would be his classic world known Reset.
Nacks would be... i dunno. cant think of any off the top of my head.
Awesome Tid Bits would be his Deck in Bottle and his Orange Sculpture.
The material is great. None of it is knuckle busting hard but the concepts in this set are although old, mostly unknown to most magicians. There are great magician foolers as well as laymen tricks in this set.
Books have way more material than DVDs do and they last you longer. Although DVD has the visuals of where everything goes and what not, books have illustrations, which are just as good. You get to learn at your own pace and you actually get to "hear" where everything goes and what happens.
I highly recommend it.
One of my favorite purchases 10/10

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
What I DO like about books over dvds is that when you watch a performance, you find yourself performing like that to a certain extent. Go on youtube and search Distortion or Witness or some other commercial trick. How many performances are near identical to Wayne's or Lee's? I try not to do this but find it happens anyway. I mean, I cannot picture 5Speed as a 'serious' trick, purely because I have seen Chris' performance, however I have my completely individual take on many of the other tricks from TOoC. This can be overcome by sitting down and really trying to think of a different way to perform it, but it is much easier if you start off without any ideas to base your performance off. Books aren't necessarily better in every way, dvds have advantages but this is a rather annoying...trait I have discovered. Because of this, and because I believe individuality is important, I would recommend books over dvds.

Sorry, that was rather off topic. I don't own the AoA series but have heard (repeatedly) that they are worth every penny and then some.

Sooner or later, whether it be tomorrow, months, or even years from now-- as long as you're a magician, you're going to need these books. Plain and simple.

A few of my personal favorites:

Counterfeit Spectator
A dollar bill is borrowed and examined from someone in the audience. Attention is subtly called to the two signatures on the bill: the Treasurer of the United States and the Secretary of the Treasury. Although the magician never met the bill's owner before, he visually morphs one of the names into the spectator's own signature! This effect was popularized when it was performed by David Blaine in Frozen in Time.

Paper Chase
A napkin is borrowed, torn into quarters, and rolled into four paper balls. These paper balls travel invisibly from hand to hand across the table until they impossibly assemble under the spectator's palm. The magician proceeds to restore all four pieces together into the original untorn napkin.

Las Vegas Leaper
A packet of twenty cards is divided into two packets of ten. They are given to two spectators who recount and confirm the number of cards in their hands. The magician never even comes close to the spectators or touches the cards. He asks someone to think of a number between one and five. Suppose they say three. Three cards impossibly floy from one spectator's packet to the other.

Deep Thought
A deck is shuffled by the spectator. The performer outjogs one card and commits himself to his prediction. He asks the spectator to randomly think of any card in the deck and say it aloud. Without any funny moves or switches, the deck is lowered to reveal the named card outjogged in the deck.

There are so many creative plots in these books. A lot of the material has been used by some of the most prolific names in the industry: David Blaine, David Copperfield, Marco Tempest, etc. You'll find many of these effects familiar and you'll be surprised to see so much quality within a single source. These books were among the wisest investments I ever made in magic, and the magic therein comprise the vast majority of my current working repertoire.

RS.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
Beyond tricks Paul's essay in book one, Astonishment is Our Natural State of Mind, might just change HOW you view your magic forever. It may not be every magicians' cup of tea but it makes performing magic a much more enriching and rewarding experience for me at least.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results