Guess Who Got Glasses!

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Heya everybody,

I got glasses and I'm wondering, NOW WHAT?
I've seen countless magicians perform with glasses but I'm wondering SHOULD I?

I mean they look cool n' all but is it better as a performer to wear glasses or not?

I can see fine without them but I have an astigmatatatism whatever it's called and I'm near-sighted.

What should I do. I think it would be pretty BadA–BadDonky if I would produce them and then put them on i.e. the production from Homer Liwag's Rice Papers. I got that and the problem was I didn't wear glasses but now I do.

I'm looking for professional answers here, as in people who perform regularly in quality places.

Thanks a bunch and Chewbacca says "Hi," well not really it sort of sounded like "WWAAARRRRGGGGGAAARRRRAAAARRRRAAAAAA!"

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I'm looking for professional answers here, as in people who perform regularly in quality places.

Thanks a bunch and Chewbacca says "Hi," well not really it sort of sounded like "WWAAARRRRGGGGGAAARRRRAAAARRRRAAAAAA!"

Don`t you think that is a contradiction?

Anyway...I don`t see any problem...I think it depends what kind of glasses you use...maybe if you are wearing a nice dress...and the glasses don`t go along...the thing here is that all the accesories must be along your character...

I have a large tattoo in my arm and I wear leather accesories...but the don`t affect my performance...on the contrary...they creat mysticims before the first trick...if you look diferent...then you are diferent...

Jun 1, 2009
Is this really such an issue? You wear glasses now, so what? You'll look a little different, but it shouldn't affect how you'll perform. Plus, if you perform for different people on a regular basis, they won't care if you didn't have glasses before. Calen Morelli has a sick production on the Function 9 trailer, I don't know if he teaches that, but you could look into that, or use the one from the Rice Papers like you said. Get a style that fits your personality, be it the larger frames, the smaller square ones, or rounded out ones, whatever works for you. Hope this helps.

Jacob

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
For some their glasses were part of what became their image.

Think Buddy Holly.

Also, think Helder Guimaraes. One of his signatures is his red framed glasses. You see him in almost every picture with red glasses. It's something different that you don't see every day.

If you are looking for a more professional approach to a glasses production, use Liwags from Rice Papers. I don't think you would want to use Calen's, just because his requires a hat. You could begin your act like you had just gotten back from the eye doctor and you now have astigmatism - you can't see the audience very well. Do the Liwag production of the glasses, put them on, and say something like "Oh! You all look marvelous tonight! Thanks for coming out to the show, my name is Anna...etc.". Get a good laugh at the beginning of the show to let your audience know that it is a comfortable environment.

Hope this helps!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I suggest you don't try to treat everything you do as "magic". Just wear the glasses that were proscribed to you like a normal person would.

A lot of entertainers wear glasses and it really doesn't have any effect on what they do.

Aug 17, 2010
I think it's fine either way. If you were doing a stage act, with klieg lights glaring off the lenses, then maybe I'd not wear them - or see if a non-glare lens is available. Otherwise, I don't think it's a problem.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I also wear glasses, but as a performer of music I am supposed to take them off when I perform. Glasses are easy to hide behind, as well as a hat.

Of course, you're most likely talking about using glasses for magical effects which there are a few that work great with them.

Also, does feel great to be able to see what you're doing :p

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I wear glasses regularly...well sometimes. I am supposed to anyway. But I perform bar magic professionally a few nights a week. I sometimes wear them and sometimes not. Nothing to do with it retracting from performance, just a personal decision. Wearing glasses doesn't detract from performance at all. Helder rocks the red frames and it works for him and his character. Lennart Green wears them and it adds to his persona as well.

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results