GUM by Jeff Prace - Review

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey guys there have been some already but this is my review for Jeff Prace's Gum DVD!

DVD: GUM by Jeff Prace (produced by Kozmo)
Avaliable: Murphys Magic or dealers worldwide
Price: $24.95
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quality and Sound: This was a well produced DVD with great picture and sound...To me it doesn't really matter how good these are (as long as its not very crappy) but this was high quality and sound was great!

Opening thoughts: When Jeff sent this to me in the mail I couldn't wait to get it! I recived it, and watched it and really liked most of the effects on the DVD. I thought Orbit and Re-Wraped were my favourites. InstaWrap was cool but I thought Re-Wrapped was better. Back in time was a cool effect, but just not for me. I did however really enjoy the thinking behind it but will get more into that later on...I did wait to post this review as I wanted to test these out before writing about them so here it goes...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orbit: A pack of gum with only one piece left instantly turns into a full pack. You can then immediately hand out a piece of gum to a hungry spectator.

Review
Set-up/Re-set: If you give away the gum after the performance...5 seconds! If not there is none!
Angles: No angle problems, perform it 360 !
Skill level: Very Easy

This was my second favourite on the DVD. I really like the effect, spectators love it as they get a peice of gum and is very visual. 1 piece, open - close FULL PACK! The gimmick is very simple in idea but does take some time to constuct and make it all work perfectly. Its not to hard and can be done in roughly 10-20 min(took me about 15 to get it perfect). You do not end fully clean, but from my testing no one has ever asked to see the packet, as you do take a gum out and offer it to the spectator so the heat never ends up on the gum pack. If they don't take it, il just eat it and pocket the pack. Its very easy, angle proof and leaves the spectator with something at the end.
Overall - 9/10
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-Wrapped: A chewed piece of gum stretched between the magician's hands magically wraps itself into a brand new piece! Both hands are shown empty and the gum can immediately be given away as a sweet souvenir.

Review
Set-up/Re-set: Once you have the "gimmick" 5 seconds of set up per performance. Could all be done in your pocket if our good
Angles: The spectators must be infront of you, a little to the sides is okay.
Skill level: Easy

This was my favourite effect on the DVD. I thought I had an idea of the method but I was wrong! I love this! To me it feels the cleanest handling of the 2 re-wrapping gum effects on the dvd. I also love how much more practical this is. All you need is a peice of gum (and "the gimmick") and you are set! This can easily be placed in your pocket all day (taking up no pocket space) and when you are ready you can go right into this with basically no set up time. The display of the gum between the fingers may turn people off from doing this but I think it is better that way. It happens so fast and you only show it for like 3 seconds and then boom its wrapped! And at the end I thought there had to be a switch...NO SWITCH!
Overall: 9.1/10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insta-Wrap: Another handling of the chewed to wrapped gum effect. This handling is on STEROIDS!

Review
Set-up/Re-set: 1 time set up. Automatically reSets.
Angles: Better than Re-Wrapped but still have to be on the front side of you.
Skill level: Easy, you need to know 1 move which is easy.

Although I like Re-Wrapped better, This is still good. The only thing I dislike about it is how long the gimmick lasts. I find it lasts about 3 days before I need to make a new one which is a good 10 minutes to make. But it does re-set itself after each performance. It looks very clean, chewed gum, then one handed it wraps! I agian was wrong with what I thought the method was, its very clever! Very clean too! You will need to do one thing before you hand it out at the end though. So practically and visualy I like Re-Wrapped better.
Overall 7/10
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Time: The magician presents a time travel experiment, and in doing so wraps a chewed piece of gum and alters a photograph!

Review
Setup/Re-set: 30 seconds.
Angles: In front of you for the most part.
Skill level:Easy

I didn't really enjoy the overll effect of this too much. All together there were some clever ideas (somewhat old idea but like the film canister). Not really my style as its more of a longer routine where you have to show photos of yourself (I hate all of my pictures haha) So this isn't really for me. A few adaptions could be made to better suit me but I don't think I will be using this one.
Overall 6/10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ending thoughts:
Overall I enjoyed GUM! There will be 2 effects on the DVD that I will be using a lot more (Orbit and Re-Wrapped). I think if you like what you see in the triler, you will love gum! Also if you are thinking of doing any kind of gum magic, this DVD is a great start! The teaching is clear and easy to follow (although sounds a bit scripted...Not a bad thing just thought id mention it!)

Sep 7, 2008
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked it.

About Insta-Wrap: If you want the gimmick to last longer, keep the gimmick in a Tic-Tac box, and when you're ready to perform you can just take the gimmick out. It will make the gimmick last a lifetime.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results