Hands are just too...

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
SMALL.

Is this a legit reason for taking SOO long to learn some of the flourishes out there.

I know with a lot of dedicated hard work, small hands won't be a problem for a lot of the flourishes out there, but it is definitely keeping me back a bit and presenting some frustrating challenges.

Believe me though, I am putting in the hard work, it just seems that there are some things that will remain nearly impossible to do... =(

Any advice from fellow small handers.. as long as the advice isnt 'pick up a pack of bridge size cards'.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
well, some small adjustment to the card holding positions can do wonders, so is doing it at certain angles towards the ground as sometimes gravity can work in your favor when otherwise your fingers cant hold the cards.

With proper streching even small hands can appear big.

I had/have the exact same problem. WIth practise, your hands will stretch and appear larger and sometimes, it does get larger. Maybe when you practice, think of alternatives for finger movements, maybe balancing a packet instead of gripping it, like sharog said, using gravity. u might know what im talking about and eya..sorry i have to tell you this but, i still ahve to use bridge size cards for my cobras because it is physically impossible right now for my thumb to grip the packet before the opening stage. My thumb just isnt long enough and sometimes, we must face the truth and do it that way. But im sure your hands will grow eventually. Just don't think of it as a disadvantage but think about it as a special challenge that not everyone gets. Something you will overcome with great determination and practise..not saying you dont have it, i know you do but keep it up! :) Hope this helped

Tam

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I'm sorry, but that picture had to have been edited down a bit. His entire hand almost fits into just my palm, and I'm 15.

Plus, I own his notes, and his hands don't look quite as small on those.

But as for small hands, your hands will grow over time as you get older, and the practice will help your hands become more flexible. No worries bro, you'll be fine. :)

-Vince

I feel your pain - my hands are smaller than Asher's in that picture, and I'm 15. With practice, most things will be possible (eventually - it took me 6 months to learn to do the one-hand revolution). The most infuriating thing is not being able to do moves that even complete beginners to card magic find quite simple, like a one handed shuffle - I physically cannot reach that far, no matter how much practice I do (and since I've been playing the violin for 10 years, I think my fingers have reached their limit).
I guess I'll just have to wait. And hope.
Anyone have any spare growth hormones they'd like to lend me?

Sep 2, 2007
London
I wouldn'y worry about it dude. Everyone has different sized hands, so don't think that you are like "the one dude with small hands". You will be able to do those cuts you are practising. If you drop your cards becuase it seems impossible to hold them all in that position, so what? We are creatures of habit, make yor hands have to try to hold the cards in those weird (and rather beautiful) positions and your hands WILL adapt and grow to get used to this and soon you will be doing one handed work while typing posts here!

We have all been there. We all make it through.
Different people take longer, but those people will probably be KiCKASS at something else much earlier than most and they won't even realize it..

Jon

Aug 31, 2007
tokyoUW: You're from Japan, right? Nice.

Asians do tend to have smaller hands, since Asians are generally smaller in body size. I am Singaporean myself, and my hands are pretty small too. Ling (from Singapore) is a girl and that makes her hands probably even smaller.

Small hands aren't stopping Singaporeans from being some of the best flourishers around... Big hands is just an advantage, probably.

So my advice from a fellow small-hander? Just practise what you can, if you can't do some moves, don't dwell too hard on it and keep learning and practising what you like to do. One day, your hands will miraculously get accustomed the stretching and it will all work out.

I also agree that you can try shifting grips and packets of cards around to suit your hand shape and size.

I still can't do a simple Thumb Cut. But that doesn't stop me from learning other stuff and creating my own little flourishes. So yeah, have fun, practise more.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 19, 2007
About the cobra cut/thumb cut:
my thumb is short as well, but repositoning the packet changes the angle and you can reach around it. When the bottom packet falls into your palm you can push the bottom away from the thumb and you can grip it. Push the packet as far up as you need to, i push it up about an inch. My thumb is an inch and a half and i can do it.

Sep 1, 2007
small hands won't affect you in most areas of flourishing.

cuts are only one small piece of the action out there...

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
About the cobra cut/thumb cut:
my thumb is short as well, but repositoning the packet changes the angle and you can reach around it. When the bottom packet falls into your palm you can push the bottom away from the thumb and you can grip it. Push the packet as far up as you need to, i push it up about an inch. My thumb is an inch and a half and i can do it.

De'vo also has a method on the Cobra Collection DVD to do the cobra cut with smaller hands.

Did i hear wrong Vinnie C is 15 ?

You did not hear wrong. :)

-Vince

Oct 17, 2007
Someone might have already said this, but i have heard that it helps to first get a smaller pack of cards then after a little you can do the same flourishes with full sized pack:) (I dont have that problem so i dont have any experience:p)

Sep 1, 2007
they prefer to be called "little people" now. :) I'm sure you didn't mean to offend but there could be midgets reading right now.

also, what the hell is wrong with using bridge sized cards if you have to... as long as you look cool busting moves people don't care... JErry the Flourishman himself even said that he thinks XCM-specific cards of the future will be slightly skinnier. well not so much that they look like a midget card, but maybe 1/16th of an inch or so. midget.

Sep 1, 2007
whoa jordan's only 15 too? also copperfield how do you know how good vinnie is... Ive never seen a video of him and I want to :eek:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results