Has anybody gotten System 88?

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
if that was meant to be sarcastic.. touche..

if that was a legitimate question, nothing major yet. Just waiting. I survived Katrina, bring it on.

To get back on the subject, System 88 seems to be THE system for Dungeons & Dragons players ^_^.

Reading reviews, it looks promising but I don't know if I'd want to spend that kind of money..

I'll keep digging and let you know if I come up with any gold. Mentalism is huge in my act.

cheers

-Deryn

I have had a lot of luck with Docc Hilford's work, but I've seen a lot of criticism thrown his way because the ads for his material seem to imply that the magic you're about to receive is the real thing.

In the ad for this booklet, for example, it says you receive a "Pocket Chart with over 3 MILLION different readings." You have to take this with a grain of salt, I think.

Do you have any history with Docc's work? If so, you'll probably like this. I enjoy his style of writing and how real his work seems to my audience. Nightmare Coins (from Band of the Hand) is a lot of fun, and I've done his Jack the Ripper seance for a party I threw a few years ago and I had people screaming.

If you already cold-read, this may be a little redundant. If not, it may be a great way to start.

Pj

I assume you're referring to Dance of Shiva?

If so, no I haven't read that yet. The material I've devoured of Hillford's includes:

-Mephisto's Journey
-Cinderella Act
-Band of the Hand
-Cassandra Deck and Femme Fatale
-Ball and Tube

I read his work as much for inspiration as I do for methodology. It's pricey, but it's worth it for me.

Pj

Ah, no I've not read that either. I assumed we were still on Docc's work, so I didn't know what you were referring to.

I actually haven't studied cold reading formally, but I've touched upon it in my study of NLP and hypnosis. It's hard to get into the mentalism side of our art and not find our studies overlapping, I suppose.

Have you read the dance? I'd be interested to hear more about it.

Pj

hey if you get a chance wikipedia richard bandler ......

I know who Bandler is, as well as John Grinder. Actually, their major works on NLP have gone down on amazon in the last few years. Trance-formations and Frogs into Princes were hundreds of dollars each not too long ago, but you can get them both for about 100 bucks.

Why'd you ask me to look up bandler, out of curiousity.

What makes up your mentalism repertoire? I'm interested to know what else people are doing out there!

Pj

I just recently added terasabos, but i 've been doing . pk silverware......andy nyman material......i also added some stuff from coral fang .....material from prism.....for andruzzi......twisted palm......i like luke's stuff alot ....i mix it up with alot of my own routines ......kenton also....but i don't only do mentalism ....i do alot of close up , and i like the idea of mixing the mentalism into alot of my routines

Sep 3, 2007
Knoxville, TN
What makes up your mentalism repertoire? I'm interested to know what else people are doing out there!

My work mainly consists of compilations of Kenton's work. I've read some Docc Hilford and I really enjoy his style, but I understand what is meant when you say that his stuff is a little "over-hyped." Derren Brown is a huge influence, mainly because of his particular take on presentation and showmanship. Max Maven is also another influence because of his different methods for presentation as well.

- Carlos

Sep 1, 2007
Actually when I got my copy of Frogs into Princes it was only $35 and that was for the hardback edition. Look around, you can find it for alot cheaper then what was mentioned above. If you are new to this type of work though, then check out Introducing NLP by Bandler.

As for Doc's 88, I'll try and get a review up when I get my copy. To the ones that don't know what it is, it's basically a cold reading system.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

Sep 1, 2007
Mentalism is pretty much the only type of magic I do. (I'm actually writing some lecture notes on mentalism now) Docc is a good friend of mine and I see him about once a month. I, too, have been interested in system 88. I will hopefully be able to see this in person but it sounds pretty good. I asked Richard Mark about it last night and he told me a bit about what is involved with this system. A review should be coming out soon on http://marketplaceofthemind.com/

Also, anyone who's interested in mentalism should join the forums at mentalistsanctum.com everyone there is really helpful and nice.

Dec 14, 2007
Someone asked about The Dance. The Dance is about cold reading. If you have never studied cold reading, then it is not the book for you. It is written for people who understand the basic concepts and may have attempted it in the past. The book has received excellent reviews, but I would feel bad if someone bought it thinking it was right for them, and it wasn't. Your local magic dealers should carry it. (If you have any questions about it, PM me. I know a thing or two about the book!)

System 88 was just reviewed for Magic Magazine. I do not know when it will appear in print, but I submitted it last month. Hopefully that review will help those on the fence about it.

Best,

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results