Has David Blaine damaged magic?

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
So a couple weeks ago I was watching Craig ferguson on the tube he made a joke how it's going to take years to undo the damage db did to magic of course. It was a joke but it got me thinking did the change db made to magic with his no patter and just doing the trick do more harm then good to magic as far as magic presentation is concerned because all magician before db such as dc and Doug henning made their living with original ideas and presentations.

I'm not saying anything against db but ever since him close up magic has completely had a new face and all of us or 95% of people on these forums including myself have been influenced by db or ca my question is do you think it was for the better.

I personally beleive it has done wonders for the stereotype you know - cape, top hat, bunnies. I'm not too sure about the actual presentation though; that's why I'm asking you guys.

D

Deleted member 2755

Of course they do but instead of finding their own they choose to emmulate db or ca

Nah, I think there are more D&D posers out there than anything.

Also, Blaine didn't do anything bad to magic. I also think people exaggerate Criss Angel.

-Doug

I don't think DB did damage to magic. i don't think CA did damage to magic. Yes, they did help out with the stereotype of top hats and capes, and all that jazz. What damaged magic are the people who try to act just like them. To say that DB damaged magic is to say that Honda ruined the Automobile. The two of them put their own spin on magic. This is not about if they are good or if they are bad. Blane has his own presentation style. Some of you may say he sucks because his patter is boring, but laymen seem to be entertained by him. Isn't that what we as magicians are trying to do, entertain laymen. You don't necessarily need patter to entertain. Magicians who work at loud restaurants, don't have much patter if any, and yet they still entertain. You magic is your own perception of magic, and that is the way you should perform it.

D

Deleted member 2755

Haven't we had about 58,000 threads on David Blaine and this topic?:p

-Doug

May 3, 2008
I don't think he did anything to harm magic. The only real problem I see is that he's the reason those kids on youtube who can't do a double lift got started in magic. But you can't blame someone for being talented and famous.

Apr 1, 2009
California
People act as though when David Blaine PERFORMS, that he puts nothing into it. That he's this dry character with no care for patter or personality. The man put a lot of thought into what he's doing. He is one of the smartest men in the art that I have come by. If anything, in these regards, he's improved magic. He knows what he's doing. It's the millions of people copying his style without any sense as to why his style is the way it is. Blind to the philosophy of the character. That's what messes up the art.

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I think that David Blaine and Criss Angel help some peoples magic, and hurt others. The ones they hurt are the people who try to be them. The ones they help are the close up magicians who are themselves. There is much less talk of bunnies and top hats and tights in most laymen. Now, it is card through window, and levitating, so we are a step in the right direction.

People act as though when David Blaine PERFORMS, that he puts nothing into it. That he's this dry character with no care for patter or personality. The man put a lot of thought into what he's doing. He is one of the smartest men in the art that I have come by. If anything, in these regards, he's improved magic. He knows what he's doing. It's the millions of people copying his style without any sense as to why his style is the way it is. Blind to the philosophy of the character. That's what messes up the art.

Agreed wholly and completely.

There's actually a very interesting easter egg on the True Astonishment DVDs where Blaine explains how he collaborated with Paul Harris to develop the character upon which he built his reputation. In fact, it made me think about minimalizing my own flavor of magic-- obviously not to the extent Blaine does-- but to the point where laypeople can appreciate a commonality with me as a performer. There's a lot to be learned.

RS.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I really appreciate your feed back guys but this brings to my mind another topic I've been thinking about and that's how to
develope a character that suites you. I was once told to take one aspect of your persona and amplify it so that becomes your character what are your guys thoughts on this.

Sep 1, 2007
I really appreciate your feed back guys but this brings to my mind another topic I've been thinking about and that's how to
develope a character that suites you. I was once told to take one aspect of your persona and amplify it so that becomes your character what are your guys thoughts on this.
As far as I knew your "character" is not something you practice, it's who you are.

I don't believe he damaged magic, I do believe he pisses me off. I mean good for him he got out there and does lame ass stunts that are no worth doing and credit should not be given to him for it. But other than that, his creepy, weird looking face and simple magic has amazed almost anyone who has watched him perform on TV. He also made magic less nerdy or whatever some people would bias it is. He wears designer jeans, has a normal haircut without greasy hair and doesn't wear a cape. Thank god. Cris Angel on the other hand... never mind. lol. But some people come up to me and go "DO TAT DAVID BLAINE TRICK I SAWED ON TEH TELEVISIONZ" omg... why waste my time, most magicians on this site have an immense skill level over DB and CA.

Watch this and tell me if he deserves ANY credit for this "AMAZING" stunt.
http://media.theory11.com/1491-Triumph-Hangs-With-David-Blaine

-k

Apr 1, 2009
California
Ok, David is of the more talented magicians of our day. Everything from his skill with a deck of cards to his knowledge of crowd control and character. His stunts may not appeal to many of us as exciting, but what they do are what their intent is. They are a personal experience for David and basically meant to create an image. Maybe it's not the most enjoyable thing to sit down for 2 hours and watch a man standing in one place in whatever position he's in, maybe he's lying down. But what he's doing is creating an image that maybe one day will return in our minds as a powerful image. This is the same thing Houdini did with his stunts in his day. Sometimes people would sit in a theater not even seeing Houdini for hours until he would all of a sudden come out from behind the curtain with the handcuffs dangling from his closed fist. The skill of a magician is not defined by the skill level of the effect that he is performing, but rather of his performance. And although I believe that David Blaine surpasses most with his ability with sleight of hand, I have almost no doubt that his knowledge of the art goes above and beyond the great majority of us, and that is why he is where he is.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
No

David Blaine has a character, a character that he plays extremely well.

I believe this answer is correct. For those of you who read the David Blaine book, it states that Paul Harris and David came up with the exact character that David portrays.

I do like the fact that nowadays people aren't asking me to pull rabbits out of hats. At times people my grandparent's age (80) will but not anyone under the age of 40 or so. They seem to like the in your face street style.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results