Has it become a fad...?

To say that you go through a lot of cards all the time? I often wondered that...we often here magicians say "I go through a deck of cards a day" or "a deck of cards doesn't last me more than an hour." In some cases, that's true. High humidity can destroy cards, as can sticky tables and greasy fingers. But, it seems to me that those say the above don't perform on a regular basis. Nothing wrong with that, but you would think that if you just practice, a deck of cards would last more than a day. I can't remember the last time I went through a deck just practicing in a day...

I'll also be honest and say I've been guilty of the above too, but it got too expensive to open a new deck of cards every day just for ****s and giggles. Especially when I have bills to pay, I just can't do it. It might be just only a buck, but that $1 a day adds up in a hurry.

Oh well...this has been something I've always wondered. Just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there, however pointless they may be. :)

Best.
Steve

P.S. On another note, here's something to think about. Does the amount of decks one goes through make them a better performer?

On your PS note, I don't beleive going through more decks make you a better performer.

For a general example, one may be practicing Torn and Restored tricks while another a Card Through Window and another etc.
Some things are more destructive then others and besides, we are counted in expertise by our victories, body counts, etc and decks of cards are not bodies.

~PaCo

Oct 25, 2007
No, the amount of cards you own doesn't serve as a basis on how good or bad of a performer you are, that is defined by skill and performance.

May 10, 2008
I think you're right. The only time I wen through a deck in a day was when I was practicing Believe and TNR.

And to jack of clubs, you can can buy them in bulk at costco for real cheap.

Sep 1, 2007
Unfortunately the rate at which I go through decks of cards is a result of my location. It was really cold here today--in the upper 80's (because it rained).

Nov 29, 2007
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I go through a lot of decks, but only when I perform, and when I perform, I go through at least one, or two, sometimes three if I'm unlucky.
But I find, if you mangle a card, or deck for an effect, then you get a better reaction, and if you are making the money to cover it, then it is definately worth it.
I have a closet full of cards right now and for good reason, I think. Unfortuanately some people do have bills, and I know that I will coming up soon here, so my endless supply of cards that I do have stocked away, is going to come in handy later. For at least a little bit anyways.
As for how many decks you go through changing how good you are... not a chance. I think big numbers just grab people's attentions.

I go through decks fast because I'm fussy about deck condition, I do a lot of flourishes that bend the cards, and I'm not really that careful with them. It's really just my own lazyness that burns through a deck of cards, not any fandangled skill that would make me awesome :p

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I was always to embarrassed to admit it but now that you brought it up I should come clean: a deck lasts me...... 2 months. And NO that doesn't mean I'm a bad performer, maybe a bad magician, but not a bad performer.

Aug 31, 2007
To say that you go through a lot of cards all the time? I often wondered that...we often here magicians say "I go through a deck of cards a day" or "a deck of cards doesn't last me more than an hour." In some cases, that's true. High humidity can destroy cards, as can sticky tables and greasy fingers. But, it seems to me that those say the above don't perform on a regular basis. Nothing wrong with that, but you would think that if you just practice, a deck of cards would last more than a day. I can't remember the last time I went through a deck just practicing in a day...

I'll also be honest and say I've been guilty of the above too, but it got too expensive to open a new deck of cards every day just for ****s and giggles. Especially when I have bills to pay, I just can't do it. It might be just only a buck, but that $1 a day adds up in a hurry.

Oh well...this has been something I've always wondered. Just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there, however pointless they may be. :)

Best.
Steve

P.S. On another note, here's something to think about. Does the amount of decks one goes through make them a better performer?

I'm pretty sure all this applies to flourishers, not magicians.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Im both a flourisher and a magician and use a deck of cards on average 4 hours a day.
I have been doing this for roughly one and a half years.:)

During this time I have only used up 2 decks of cards (Ghosts and tally09)...but that doesnt make me crap doesnt it?? (well maybe). Its not the amount of cards you use up, its more about the quality of your cards when you perform.

I prefer my cards really soft and broken in which is why I use cards for so long.(Also because cards are difficult to get in Australia)

Some people prefer their cards stiff and fresh, which is why they pop one open daily.

Jan 27, 2008
I know what you mean; I hear that alot. Sorry for being cynical but people who claim to go through a deck in an hour is just their way of saying, "Hey, you suck." It's a waste, too! Claiming you can waste a deck in an hour shouldn't imply anything impressive.

The deck that lastest me the longest -- about 6 months -- was one of those Ellusionist-decks, I can't remember which one, though. My only opned Brown Wynn is still breathing after a few months of use. And my Bicycle Rider Back lasted me for about 4 months. They probably would've been used up much quicker if I wasn't so O.C.D. with them.

When someone claims to have destroyed a deck with vigorous practice in one hour.... Well, they really mean they did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_fBLrtQh4&feature=related

..:Z:..

Aug 31, 2007
Im both a flourisher and a magician and use a deck of cards on average 4 hours a day.
I have been doing this for roughly one and a half years.:)

During this time I have only used up 2 decks of cards (Ghosts and tally09).

That's 1095 hours per deck, now that's bull****.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results