Having trouble.

Hello theory11 friends I am having problems. I wanted to start restaurant and strolling magic. The issue is I wanted to have a set with more then just cards. I like a lot of magicians love cards. So I started a while back with coins and just added ropes and sponge balls.

Sponge balls are alright, I created my own little routine with them and don't mind them very much. But the coins I can't seem to make look right. I have been trying coins for about 2 years if not more. I am just not happy with the way it is looking. Plus I have not learned very much. I can do pretty simple things with coins. I thought of recording a set and seeing what you guys would think but I haven't done it.

I also wanted to try rope magic, but once I started playing around with it my interest fated quickly. I just don't seem to have very much interest out of cards. But I think walk around or table hopping would probably get pretty boring with just cards. For others at least. I could probably make a set that would be entertaining enough where no one would mind but I don't know.

I started to notice most card men just do one while close up act with cards and are great. They are original and different in their acts so I think that is probably how they can get away with it.

But I would not know how to get started getting "gigs" with 1 sit down close up act. I was wondering if anyone had any info about what I discussed, any advice at all would be helpful. It is not a big issue but I just feel stuck and I think if I don't start to get out there more my passion my start to fade.

Thanks.

Well if you're going to go table hopping then I would recommend you figure out 10 effects that you can do that require little to no reset time, and can be carried about easily on your person. You'll take those 10 effects and separate them into two acts of anywhere from four to six tricks per set. That way when doing your walk around, you can switch between which set you're working with to keep things fresh. Maybe even consider having an extra three or so tricks on backup just in case. These aren't formulaic numbers by the way. They're just suggestions. You may be able to get by with seven tricks, or hell you may rock the house with twenty.

Once you have a set list then it's just about going to local venues and seeing if they'd try you out for a night. If they like what you can do, then discuss payment.

Let me know how this goes, here's wishing you the best!

May 19, 2010
I second everything that William said.
You could also try to learn some rubber band magic. It packs small, is an instant reset, and gets some great reactions.
Do you know how to vanish and reproduce coins? Because if you do you can put together a simple coin flurry with a jumbo coin production at the very end. It's super easy and can be a real reputation maker.

When putting together your sets make sure their is flow and it makes sense going from one trick to another. But at the same time it needs to be easy to wrap up what you're doing quickly if the table's food comes out, or if you can tell the people at the table just aren't that into magic. You never want to force it on them, and don't take it personally.

And one of the biggest things I think should be kept in mind is pocket space. It is really easy to start filling your pockets with five different decks. You also need to be really careful with sponge balls. I think their great but having a routine with 4 one inch sponge balls can take up most of your pocket space.
Well, I hope this helps!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Before you start approaching a restaurant, look them up on Yelp and Urban Spoon and read the reviews of the place and also take a look at their menu (if they have it online.). This will save you a lot of time and effort, and will prevent you from trying to approach a restaurant that could be going under, or one that is getting mediocre to bad reviews. Because I don't care how talented of an entertainer you are, if the restaurant is getting bad reviews. You won't be able to help them, unless you're Gordon Ramsay.

But also make a list of the places you want to approach, that way you be bummed out as much if Place A turns you down, because you know you've got a bunch of other places to hit up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info everyone! But one issue I am having, Do you think it is really important to have effects with different props? I just can't get into anything other than cards mostly. I mean I would have sponge balls and maybe a bit of a coin flurry (that is a good idea! and I have a little one), Or do you think if a did a mixture of different card effects and did them as original and entertaining as possible that this would work?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It really doesn't matter to most laypeople. Many magicians will tell you to have like a good variety of effects, but seeing as how you are only going to be at said table for maybe 3-6 min tops, you don't want to overstay your welcome and bore people to death with everything you've got. If you do a 2-3 card effects and that's it. Then it really should be fine. If you have a coin effect, that could be something you do as a bonus routine when you decide to return to said table and show them "something else.". The same can be said for the sponge balls.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Thanks for all the info everyone! But one issue I am having, Do you think it is really important to have effects with different props? I just can't get into anything other than cards mostly. I mean I would have sponge balls and maybe a bit of a coin flurry (that is a good idea! and I have a little one), Or do you think if a did a mixture of different card effects and did them as original and entertaining as possible that this would work?

Welcome to the world of table-hoping!!!

Well..to answer your question...I would really advice it...I´ve doing table hoping for some years and it´s really good to have different props in your set... people love when you do magic with different stuff...

But since you are not experienced in other fields, you should do tricks that are very simple for now... like a thumbtip bill change, cigarrete magic, gimmicked magic, so you are not thinking a lot on the sleights...for now..

Dress nice always, I advice to stay a little bit more...also you should check some threads from here from people like Benji Bruce and William Draven... also some of mine!! jajajaja

any particular doubt you might have, don´t hesitate to contact me through PM!!

Aug 11, 2011
The thing is, different props means you are a versatile artist.
That being said, if you are a good entertainer, use anything you're comfortable with to build a set !

The main thing is : You are an entertainer, you should entertain people. That's basically it.
I don't think Daniel Madison ever had a sponge ball routine in his act, for example. Aaron Fisher is a full-fledged professional, using only cards.

All of this comes down to chosing what you feel most comfortable with. Don't forget you are an artist and a performer. Just polish material you know will entertain your audience !

Thanks again every one! I do have a coin flurry, I can do a simple coins across also, plus sponge balls. So I think that will make me have a little variety I do think that might help a bit. Plus I love to pull coins from places! Getting the gigs I think is going to be the really hard part with not having any restaurant experience and only one strolling volunteer gig under my belt. But I do understand a lot about getting a gig at a restaurant I have been studying it.

I just don't know if I have the confidence to sale my self and actually have them buy it! But I will see what I can do and keep you guys updated,

Thanks for the help guys!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results