Hello, I need some recommendations on card magic

Aug 27, 2020
Hello, I opened a post about visual magic a few days ago. From researching and talking to some magicians, they made it clear to me that generally the knuckle-busting card magic type is not practical with the public at all. So I asked for advice on what to do to learn card magic. They only told me to read the Card College of Giobbi, I already read the first and I am going through the middle of the second, this because I know almost all the techniques and what I have done is to perfect them based on the book. I would like you to recommend that studying card magic is effective for the public and causes as much magic as possible. I ask this because Card College begins to get complicated in table matters and it seems to me that depending on a table to work and practice very difficult techniques is not the best option. Keep in mind that my goal in the future is to dedicate myself professionally to magic and I would like to be the best possible now that I have a lot of free time and it will probably be free until the beginning of the following year. Thanks for reading me.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
You could learn a stack. The best books to start with for that are probably either Simply Simon or Mnemonica, regardless of what stack you choose to learn.

Reactions: randy_fdez
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I ask this because Card College begins to get complicated in table matters and it seems to me that depending on a table to work and practice very difficult techniques is not the best option.
Very true.

But why not change the way of looking at it? Instead of looking at those specific effects making you 'dependent' on a table to work on, why don't you look at them as effects which will help you exploit your surroundings when there's a table right in front?

I say this because I had made the mistake of instantly discarding effects which require super-specific settings, like sitting at a table, angly tricks which work only for one person, fun-effects which can astound one person but become just gags for everybody else, those which won't work unless you're standing on a carpet, require specific props, et cetera.

While I didn't exactly suffer as a result of doing that, I can't even tell you the number of times I've been sitting at a table with the spectator in front of me and just wishing I had learnt that effect which absolutely slays when performed at the table, that effect which was designed for this very situation I found myself in.

So of course, if you don't think you'll find yourself in those situations often, then don't indulge in them as much, but definitely have one or two in your Plan B repertoire. Don't ignore them completely.

Keep in mind that my goal in the future is to dedicate myself professionally to magic and I would like to be the best possible now that I have a lot of free time and it will probably be free until the beginning of the following year. Thanks for reading me.
That's a great and also a dangerous situation to find yourself in. It's surprising how EASY it is to get burnt out doing something for long, especially if you're very free to do it. Remember to experiment, challenge yourself, create pseudo-projects or real ones, make goals, shoot videos, delve into magic theory and get into arguments by being controversial about various topics on magic on Reddit just for the heck of it.

Keeps the fun alive in my opinion. ;)

Dec 5, 2015
I was in the same position as you last year when I realized that muggles are not that impressed with the knuckle busting card stuff, coming from a guy who devoted 6 years to Lennart Green's Snap deal and knows every move and effect he published. At that point I realized that muggles really responded more to the presentation/atmosphere of the effect, no matter how simple the effect was. Thus, I started to study the work of Robert E. Neil, Eugene Burger, Max Maven, and others. People who have created or taken published effects that are simple at there very core and bestowed them with a wonderful presentations.

Recommended sources:

Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger
The Performance of Close Up Magic by Eugene Burger
Strange Ceremonies by Eugene Burger
Eugene Burger From Beyond by Larry Hass and Eugene Burger
Eugene Burger's Magical Voyages DVD
...Morale of the list at this point anything by Eugene Burger is great!
Life, Death, and Other Card Tricks by Robert E. Neil
Tricks of the Imagination by Robert E. Neil
Scripting Magic vol 1 & 2 by Pete McCabe(Highly Recommend)
Artful Deceptions by Allan Zola Kronzek( Effects that everyone know but with great themes)

These books are for Bizarre magic but are worth it, if you can get your hands on them; however, some of these books will make your wallet cry. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 9, 2018
I’d rather do something with few or no moves so that I can concentrate on the presentation and interaction with my participants. That’s not to say a knuckle busting routine can’t totally amaze your audience, but they should never know how you do it, so why add the extra stress?

one of the members here posted his annotated update of the Royal Road (gasp heresy) called JACK: Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery. I thought it was very well done and would serve as an excellent foundational work for a person learning or expanding their card skills.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I’d rather do something with few or no moves so that I can concentrate on the presentation and interaction with my participants. That’s not to say a knuckle busting routine can’t totally amaze your audience, but they should never know how you do it, so why add the extra stress?
Well, yes and no.

I think it depends on the situation on whether you should do a knuckle-busting move. For example, a double undercut is such an amazingly simple and nonchalant way of controlling a card, but that's not the control (if you're including a control) you'd want to use in an Ambitious Card Routine, because that defeats the purpose of having a card rise up 'all by itself'.

Dec 21, 2019
I disagree on this. Steve Forte's GSOH is an amazing book, but it's a collection and teaching of techniques used to cheat at cards, and very few of the moves would be practical in a magic context. So, if you want the resource on gambling sleights, this book is for you. If you wanna do magic, it isn't.
Ahaha, if I could figure out how to put emjois in these id facepalm right now.

Nov 3, 2018
Ahaha, if I could figure out how to put emjois in these id facepalm right now.
Did I miss some sarcasm? If so, apologies, I'm not always successful at spotting it in written format, and the shorter the sentence, the more difficult it gets. Unfortunately, I also haven't yet had the chance to get to know you and your sense of humour, but maybe I'll have more success next time round :)

PS: Emojis are in the bar above the "reply" area. There's no "facepalm" emoji (yet), but this one might convey a similar sentiment, depending on how you look at it: :confused:

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
To the original poster: stick with it. Regardless of which direction you take your magic, if you are serious about doing magic professionally as you say, you need a proper foundation. And Giobbi's Card College is the best place for giving you that.

But you don't have to do all the books for that. Start by mastering Volumes 1 & 2, and you can go elsewhere from there.

I also recommend using the books in conjunction with his video course: Card College 1 & 2 - Personal Instruction.

If you're not familiar with it, see my detailed review of it here. The first lesson (30 minutes) about fundamental card handling techniques is a free download via his web-shop here: Lesson 1 - Fundamental Techniques, and will give you a good idea of the quality you can expect.

Reactions: randy_fdez
Jun 3, 2021
I think you don't need recommendations on this topic. You should find the best option yourself because many people don't get it serious. But, if you can't find something useful for your case. I will say that don't use every store you see on your way. I recommend check store reviews.

Jun 3, 2021
I think you don't need recommendations on this topic. You should find the best option yourself because many people don't get it serious. But, if you can't find something useful for your case. I will say that don't use every store you see on your way. I recommend check store reviews.
Also, a friend of mine had a situation similar to yours. He had the same question, and he wanted to find a store with this stuff. I recall how he was looking for it. Yeah, finally, he found a pretty good store at https://evinacards.com/oracle-deck/ I hope I could help someone! Stay safe, guys :))

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results