Help! Doing Magic for kids!

Jul 23, 2011
I have a nicely paid gig for kids at the 10th october. It's only 30 minutes, on a table. The Kids are all 3-12 years old! I have a few tricks in mind, like doing something with a thumb tip. But other than that, im almost only good at card magic. Will they even get it? Like if i do an ACR and such? Please, gimme suggestions. I can even buy tricks as long as im sure they will be good in front of them !

Thanks in advance!

Sep 10, 2011
i found card tricks arent the best option for kids...they love visual things...like spongeballs, cups and balls, linking rings, misers dream, rope magic etc....and if they catch yo they will call out...but just keep going, if one kid keeps calling you out...invite him to be a special assistant...

Jul 23, 2011
Thing is, im sitting with them at a table. It's a birthday party of one of their parents, and i should entertain them so their parents wont be disturbed talking to eachother

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 1, 2009
Spongeballs will still work then. Maybe you should talk to the birthday person and ask if you can stand up to perform a "stage" like thing, keep in mind it will still keep the kids entertained, so they might go for it.

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
i did a 10 minute stand-up birthday party a few weeks ago, my first. I did an ACR, and a color changing deck (the only part they seemed to react to was card to mouth, and the last phase of my ACR. If you are doing card magic, do Card to Mouth, or some mind reading (by forcing a card).

Then, I did Fiber Optic rope magic. They went crazy over Professer's Nightmare, but didn't really understand the rest of the routine. At least do that if you can.

Finally, I did Multiplying Soap Bubbles. Oh My God, they went crazy!!!!! It's stuff like that kids can RELATE to (in this case, bubbles), that they love. Sittting at a table, I don't think you can do soap bubbles, but use your imagination. Good luck though. :)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I have a nicely paid gig for kids at the 10th october. It's only 30 minutes, on a table. The Kids are all 3-12 years old! I have a few tricks in mind, like doing something with a thumb tip. But other than that, im almost only good at card magic. Will they even get it? Like if i do an ACR and such? Please, gimme suggestions. I can even buy tricks as long as im sure they will be good in front of them!

First off, why would you accept a gig without having a show planned? OK, lecture over. I suspect that you are being hired to be more of a babysitter than a magician, but that is just conjecture on my part.

Second, the range of ages for the kids is going to be difficult. I've got some ideas that I'll post at the end.

i found card tricks arent the best option for kids...they love visual things...like spongeballs, cups and balls, linking rings, misers dream, rope magic etc....and if they catch yo they will call out...but just keep going, if one kid keeps calling you out...invite him to be a special assistant...

The problem with most of those routines is that it takes a good amount of practice so that you don't get called out. If a kid is calling out and being disruptive DON'T invite him to help you. That just sends the message that being a brat gets you more attention and often will not make the kid behave better. Ask anyone who performs kids shows and you will get the same answer.

Your post does illustrate something. Just because they are kids don't think that performing for them is easier. It is actually more difficult because they don't have the social skills to smile and say "that was very nice." They will call it as they see it and will make it clear to you if they are bored.

i did a 10 minute stand-up birthday party a few weeks ago, my first. I did an ACR, and a color changing deck (the only part they seemed to react to was card to mouth, and the last phase of my ACR. If you are doing card magic, do Card to Mouth, or some mind reading (by forcing a card).

Then, I did Fiber Optic rope magic. They went crazy over Professer's Nightmare, but didn't really understand the rest of the routine. At least do that if you can.

Finally, I did Multiplying Soap Bubbles. Oh My God, they went crazy!!!!! It's stuff like that kids can RELATE to (in this case, bubbles), that they love. Sittting at a table, I don't think you can do that. Good luck though. :)

That is WAY to many effects to present in 10 minutes without merely saying LOOK at this. Also, the fact that they lost interest in the cards and rope says that they are the wrong routines for that age group. I doubt any "mind reading" would actually entertain that age group.

So, what can you do?

First off, realize that whatever magic you perform will not please all of the kids. It would be helpful to know whether the majority of the kids are younger (e.g. under 5), in between (6 to 8) or older (9 to 13). With around three weeks, most of what you will need to perform has to be simple to learn. Finally, having to perform at a table limits what you can do.

So here is a list of effects to look into:

Silk Blendo
3D Sponge Bunnies
Penetration
Scotch & Soda
Cardtoon Deck
Invisible Deck (having different people name the color, suite, face or number and value)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Well said David, excellent advice. If I go back and reread the PM I sent him tonight it is AMAZING how much you and are on the same wave length with this stuff. I guess us old guys have learned by being thrown into the fire and learning quickly. Kids will eat you alive if you don't get things under control. I just had a guy from our club call me the other night asking what my secrets are because he literally was heckled to death and challenged by the kids so much that he literally stopped the show, packed up his props, and never wants to perform for kids again.

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
That is WAY to many effects to present in 10 minutes without merely saying LOOK at this. Also, the fact that they lost interest in the cards and rope says that they are the wrong routines for that age group. I doubt any "mind reading" would actually entertain that age group.
I know that now... I sure didn't then. It was my first time working at a children's party, and it was on short notice (for a relative, and my mom said that no was not an option). I realized that I had very few tricks designed for kids (I am mainly a card magician), and I had no idea what they'd react to, since I haven't preformed for that particular age group before.

I under-exaggerated the 10 min estimate... it was more like 20 minutes. Anyway, what do you mean by "penetration"?

As far as the mind reading is concerned, it all depends on who you are performing for. Sometimes they go crazy, asking "How did you do that?" other times they will heckle you to death, other times they lie about their card completely, or they are just not impressed. It can kind of be hit or miss (as far as reactions are concerned), unless you have preformed for this audience before, and know what they react to.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If I go back and reread the PM I sent him tonight it is AMAZING how much you and are on the same wave length with this stuff. I guess us old guys have learned by being thrown into the fire and learning quickly. Kids will eat you alive if you don't get things under control.

Exactly. Most of that "control" happens in designing the show. That is, the effects and the patter need to both amaze and entertain the children. One without the other just doesn't work.

Rick - we should write a book on how to do children's magic right! Actually... a short e-book might not be a bad idea.

I know that now... I sure didn't then. It was my first time working at a children's party, and it was on short notice (for a relative, and my mom said that no was not an option). I realized that I had very few tricks designed for kids (I am mainly a card magician), and I had no idea what they'd react to, since I haven't preformed for that particular age group before.

Understood. Determining what works for kids is a difficult thing. There are a lot of good posts over at the Cafe in the Little Darlings section on performing for children. Some of it you learn through experience... there is no better teacher.

Anyway, what do you mean by "penetration"?

It is the name of the pen through dollar bill effect.

As far as the mind reading is concerned, it all depends on who you are performing for. Sometimes they go crazy, asking "How did you do that?" other times they will heckle you to death, other times they lie about their card completely, or they are just not impressed. It can kind of be hit or miss (as far as reactions are concerned), unless you have preformed for this audience before, and know what they react to.

Part of this is the age of the child. The concept won't work for children under 6. They just don't get what mind reading is. The other is the plot and presentation. Having someone pick a card and then guessing it is... well boring. It needs to be built into a routine that has more parts to it. The more thought you put into a routine and the patter, the more you will get out of it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results