Help me with Creativity

May 21, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
What mentalism effects or routines could you do if you spoke 6 languages? I have a passion for language, and think this could lend itself well to performance. If you were a polyglot, what could you and would you do with it in a performance?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
My first response is that I probably wouldn't use any other languages, because it's doubtful that my audience would understand any of it. But that's a pretty negative response so I tried to put more effort into it.

Derren Brown had an interesting bit where he had someone speaking one language, and another person listening who did not speak that language. The person speaking had drawn an animal, and was describing it in her own language (Polish, I think) to the other person, who was to draw whatever came to mind (He spoke Arabic, if I recall correctly). Obviously the drawings matched.

So obviously there's the potential of "influencing" someone while speaking a language they don't even understand. Personally I would probably use this in a bizarre context where I recite something from another language that describes a myth or legend and have them draw whatever images come to mind.

There's probably some kind of Train Tracking-esque thing that could be done skipping between languages maybe.

Reactions: Ocelotl
May 21, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
That's a very interesting thought, Christopher. I just see so much appeal with it. How impossible would an effect look if the method by which you really did it is also practically impossible? I just see so many directions to go in with this. Having three spectator suddenly understand a language they don't know would be truly incredible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results