Help me !!!

Apr 13, 2011
Hi guys, i need some help ... i was invited to do magic in one show but the show is in one theatre with a big stage ... i do close up magic almost everytime ... how do I change for a big stage? any suggestions ?

Apr 17, 2013
Hi guys, i need some help ... i was invited to do magic in one show but the show is in one theatre with a big stage ... i do close up magic almost everytime ... how do I change for a big stage? any suggestions ?

Call and tell them that you do not do the type of magic they need. That or offer to do strolling magic in the lobby before the show.

Sep 1, 2007
Oh dear. Let's try to take this slow.

First of all, did you accept the offer? If you didn't, politely decline explaining that it's outside your area of expertise.

If you did, how much time do you have to rehearse? If it's less than a month, politely ask if you can cancel as you've "realized" that you don't have enough time to prepare.

If it's a month or longer, then you have a hope of pulling this one out of the fire. What books do you own? Do not tell me the DVDs, tell me the books. The material that's going to save you is in books.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Damn...you are pretty much friked...

I have a theater show coming in february...and it took me around 4 months to prepare it...using stages routines I have been doing for years some of them!!....

I wish you all the luck... I could advice to use a camera and a projector... that would be the way to go for me if I was in your shoes

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Krab is 100% correct. You tell them that you do not currently have the type of magic they need for a stage show but you would be willing to work 1 hr. of strolling in the lobby area prior to their stage show. If they won't pay you a decent amount then you ask them for 2 free tickets to the show that they are having on stage.

This goes over really well....I've done it for years for stage performers because I am not much of a stage man myself. I specialize in close up.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Krab is 100% correct. You tell them that you do not currently have the type of magic they need for a stage show but you would be willing to work 1 hr. of strolling in the lobby area prior to their stage show. If they won't pay you a decent amount then you ask them for 2 free tickets to the show that they are having on stage.

This goes over really well....I've done it for years for stage performers because I am not much of a stage man myself. I specialize in close up.

Great advice buddy!!

I was thinking into doing the same thing in my big show!!...but since the local magicians tried to boycot me... I won t share the glory...

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok, you've been given VERY sound advice up to this point but magicians being magicians they will typically ignore logic and run out and shoot themselves in the foot by taking the gig and trying to do material that's impractical, poorly rehearsed, and rarely anything that will prove memorable.

What kind of cash to you have on hand? Money can sometimes give you the remedy. . . that is, if you know how to count to 100 and read something as advanced as the Brother's Grimm. . . I'm not kidding. Sock a bit of cash into classic routines like the Canary, Egg, Lemon and Orange or the Gumball Machine from Collector's Workshop and you will have something memorable so long as you can give clear, fun patter. They are relatively easy to work and execute BUT YOU MUST SUPPLY THE CHARM!

These two examples will probably make you stand out from most other magical talents in the region in that the typical mage in cow town U.S.A. will be buying in quantity vs. quality of prop. . . they'll drop a hundred or two on a simpler "Kiddie Show" prop in the majority of cases vs. a few K on a big feature piece. That said, you might just look at putting a twist on an old classic and pick up a decent prop used, via Magic Auction or a similar sight. Pirates are a big theme these days, borrow it and iron out a pirate act that involves treasure (Miser's Dream +), Swords (don't do a Card Sword, that's too typical. . . there are several "easy to make" pieces that you can make for cheap, so long as you have a few decent swords laying around). Maybe even chop off a peg leg with a Lake's styled chopper?

But then, that would take time and your dependence on a team to make it come together. . . do you have such assets as well as some cash to throw at the concept?

You see, I can't help you until I know your skill level, area of interest when it comes to stage, etc. I can feed you ideas and point you in a myriad of directions but as you can see, being able to fulfill this sort of obligation requires two key elements; Time & Money. . . at least $1,000.00 to as much as $10,000.00 depending on what you and a more experienced performer can come up with. But then we come down to time; even if it's only you, it takes time to practice and rehearse an act that you've written a script to. It takes time to study your "dailies" (video shoots of your rehearsals) and see what you need to fix. . . it takes time to get costumes ready, to customize your props, etc.

BUT. . . If you have 3-6 months to plan things out you can make it happen.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
You see, I can't help you until I know your skill level, area of interest when it comes to stage, etc. I can feed you ideas and point you in a myriad of directions but as you can see, being able to fulfill this sort of obligation requires two key elements; Time & Money. . . at least $1,000.00 to as much as $10,000.00 depending on what you and a more experienced performer can come up with.

The hell man? 1,000 bucks for a trick or 10,000? my theater show cost around 1,100 to produce... and its really good... I don?t think you have to spend that much for a great stage routine... let alone a show... there are ways to reduce costs, without being cheap... that why creativity is for....hehehe just saying!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis...Craig is not saying you HAVE to spend that kind of money to have an awesome stage show, however, he is correct in that the bigger illusions do cost up into the thousands of dollars for each individual effect. By all means you can do a stage show with smaller props that only run you a few hundred per item.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
and its really good...

I have a policy that it is never wise to say things like this. By nature we are inclined to think we are doing well (If we have an ego, and if we're performers we have an ego). But don't let yourself get carried away and never buy in to your own advertisements.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I have a policy that it is never wise to say things like this. By nature we are inclined to think we are doing well (If we have an ego, and if we're performers we have an ego). But don't let yourself get carried away and never buy in to your own advertisements.

I know..but it?s my corporate show which has great reviews...I am just adding some things to make it more theatre friendly

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I know..but it?s my corporate show which has great reviews...I am just adding some things to make it more theatre friendly

Ok. Great.

But never buy into your own hype. I don't care if the reviews are good - you can improve. I guarantee it. The minute you start thinking of yourself as "Really good" you're sabotaging yourself because you won't have the same internal motivation to improve.

Further - what are they comparing it too? From what you've said in the past, there's not much competition in your area. People tell me my cooking is excellent ... but I'm the only one in the house that can actually cook. Put me next to a real chef and suddenly I'm not so great. Perspective.

Never buy into the hype - always strive for improvement and never let yourself start thinking that you're all that and a bag of chips.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Further - what are they comparing it too? From what you've said in the past, there's not much competition in your area. People tell me my cooking is excellent ... but I'm the only one in the house that can actually cook. Put me next to a real chef and suddenly I'm not so great. Perspective.

Never buy into the hype - always strive for improvement and never let yourself start thinking that you're all that and a bag of chips.

That?s actually a good point...

To be honest I think I have a way better show than the average in my city and surroundings states... but It?s still far from the shows I have seen in the Distrito Federal (Mexico Capital city)

Thankfully I have become extremely severe with me... I have scripted the entire show even with possible responses from the audience, hire a producer, serious promotion and so... So I expect I will have at least an "OK" show... at least...

I guess doing a show this caliber... improve all my magic overall...

I don?t agree at some extent with the "The minute you start thinking of yourself as "Really good" you're sabotaging yourself because you won't have the same internal motivation to improve. "... I would rephrase it as:

" The minute you start thinking of yourself as "The Best" you're sabotaging yourself because you won't have the same internal motivation to improve"

You have to believe you are good... in order to gain confidence for yourself...but you can never think of yourself as "The best"... because there is always someone better...

Apr 13, 2011
I do magic and kardistry since 2010 ... i have some sleight of hand skills ... i do mostly card effects . But i think anyone understand my point ... i'm not doing the whole show it's just in the beggining and breaks to entertain the spectators .

I thinked in doing ... 1st (i need some opener) ... 2nd one trick with cups from Helder guimaraes( PORTUGAL!!!:D ) ... 3rd one ambitious card/card amnesia from Patrick Redford ... 4th think by shim lim ... 5th some magazine prediction from rich fergurson ...

Can this work ???

Apr 13, 2011
Damn...you are pretty much friked...

shoes

I think you didnt understood my point ...i'm not doing the whole show it's just in the beggining and breaks to entertain the spectators .

I thinked in doing ... 1st (i need some opener) ... 2nd one trick with cups from Helder guimaraes( PORTUGAL!!! ) ... 3rd one ambitious card/card amnesia from Patrick Redford ... 4th think by shim lim ... 5th some magazine prediction from rich fergurson ...

What do you think ?

Apr 13, 2011
They just want me to entertain the spectators in beggining and breaks of the show ... i can do any type of magic

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think you didnt understood my point ...i'm not doing the whole show it's just in the beggining and breaks to entertain the spectators .

I thinked in doing ... 1st (i need some opener) ... 2nd one trick with cups from Helder guimaraes( PORTUGAL!!! ) ... 3rd one ambitious card/card amnesia from Patrick Redford ... 4th think by shim lim ... 5th some magazine prediction from rich fergurson ...

What do you think ?

I think you're not giving us enough information to actually help you. How long do you have to get ready for this? What is the stage situation? How many people in the audience?

I am not familiar with the trick by Helder that you're referring to.

Ambitious Card on a stage? Probably not. It's really small and most of the audience won't have any involvement so they'll just get bored.

Think - This might work, but probably not. It's just another card trick at this point.

Rich's book test is pretty good, but you'll have to figure out how to make it play for the rest of the audience. Book tests are difficult to make actually entertaining. Too many people think that just saying the word someone is thinking of is enough to enthrall an audience.

Overall I think you're not prepared and you're thinking too small. But then, if it's a small venue you can get away with that.

Apr 13, 2011
I have 2 months dear :p ... I read strong magic by darwin ortiz ... some books of dani DaOrtiz ... trick of mind Deren brown ... 13 steps to mentalism ... and some tarbells course in magic

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have 2 months dear :p ... I read strong magic by darwin ortiz ... some books of dani DaOrtiz ... trick of mind Deren brown ... 13 steps to mentalism ... and some tarbells course in magic

"Dear"? Perhaps you didn't mean it, but that sounds pretty condescending coming from someone who has booked a show they are not ready for. 2 months is not that much if you don't have something prepared already.

From my vantage point - you have a lot of disjointed material with no theme. How long have you been performing?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You never mentioned what type of show they are expecting you do. Do they want you to entertain people in lobby or do something else. Also, two months can fly by really fast and you don't seem to understand that it's not nearly enough time to come up with a decent show. If I were you, I would tell them that I couldn't take the gig for said reasons and then move on.

As far as the material that you mentioned goes. That's all close up stuff, and if you are doing this on stage it's not going to work out too well, as well as the fact that it's very disjointed and each routine seems to have nothing in common with the other.

The only time that type of style would work out, is if you were doing a strolling event for somebody and just going around doing quick things at each group like Sponge balls, pencil through coin, etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results