Help this poor boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2008
This is a video I came across when I was searching youtube.

First of all, he's malnutritioned. We need to set-up a fund for this poor boy to get him sme food pronto.

Second, count the flashes-- the prize ofknowing you're the best to the person with the right answer.

[EDITED - Exposure]

THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO.

Nov 30, 2007
...or you could offer him help, tips, and encouragement instead of making fun of his weight and magic.

Aug 31, 2007
California
"Never.

EVER,

Perform magic again. PLEASE practice before doing a trick, you just revealed it to however many people watched the trick. If I didn't know how it was done, I would now.

I hate people who think they can just do some magic on youtube for fun and get away with it. "

-ReubenGazer

What??

Never ever perform magic again? I cannot believe some of the comments like this. Yeah, the kid apparently hasn't practiced the effect or has any idea of what he should be doing, but telling him to quit is the perfectly wrong thing to tell this kid. Why would you want to turn people away from magic? Why not politely tell him what he needs to work on? Pm him explaining what he should fix and how to.

Turning people away from magic is terrible. No matter how bad they are.
Keenan

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
At least the boy's trying. I can't imagine what would have happened to me if I had been shoved around by magicians when I was just starting. I definitely know I'm guilty of this too, and it's really tempting to make fun of brutally awful Youtube magic, but we often don't consider the person's feelings and what we may be doing to their aspirations.

Nov 30, 2007
I had pm'd him prior to my comment.

But SERIOUSLY.

PM'd him saying what? And there honestly isn't really an excuse for making a comment like that nor is there an excuse for making a thread like this. We need to help and encourage those that are starting out in magic, not bash them and break them into pieces.

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
That just pisses me off. Completely butchered a fantastic trick. He clearly didn't watch his performance after filming it, as with most kids who post videos on Youtube these days.

Jul 2, 2008
I was in a ranty mood, not my fault, it's the conscience. Hope I don't sound like a douchebag, although I probably already have.

Yes, we should encourage him, but we also need to make it clear about exposing. I know many of you guys are guilty of what I did.

You know what else pops into my mind? If I could stir up this much controversy in 10 minutes, how could we manipulate zis.... muhhaha.

Nov 30, 2007
That just pisses me off. Completely butchered a fantastic trick. He clearly didn't watch his performance after filming it, as with most kids who post videos on Youtube these days.

So should we just be mad about it? Or should you PM him telling him that maybe he should critique his performance before posting it on YouTube. You could tell him that video is one of a magician's greatest tools because you can watch yourself and notice what you did wrong, and then be able to practice it and make the trick even better. Give him constructive criticism and help him out.

I was in a ranty mood, not my fault, it's the conscience. Hope I don't sound like a douchebag, although I probably already have.

Yes, we should encourage him, but we also need to make it clear about exposing. I know many of you guys are guilty of what I did.

You know what else pops into my mind? If I could stir up this much controversy in 10 minutes, how could we manipulate zis.... muhhaha.
I'm glad you realized that we need to encourage him. But we don't need to make it clear about exposing by doing it this way. There are many other ways we can make it clear.

Aug 31, 2007
California

Make it clear about exposing? Was he telling you how to do the effect? Or was he trying to perform it without exposing?

This is not exposure, per se, yeah, he was exposing the effect, but he wasn't trying to. THEREFORE you should encourage and tell him what to cover and how to fix his mistakes.

Not tell him to quit.

Keenan

Nov 30, 2007
I also want to make it clear Reuben that we are not trying to butcher you here but just tell you what to do next time.

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks Deja Vu for the kind criticism.

You have to understand what hilarity struck me when I watched it though, whatever magical thinking we...think about it.

Jan 18, 2009
Maryland
I would not tell that kid to quit magic, but just tell that kid to practice more. For me, by the way I love DGs material, I would not do TORN if I didnt do it like Danny himself.

Nov 30, 2007
Thanks Deja Vu for the kind criticism.

You have to understand what hilarity struck me when I watched it though, whatever magical thinking we...think about it.

And I am sure many other people probably also thought the same thing. The thing that we need to do though is not publicly announce the hilarity. Hopefully one day every magician won't even experience the hilarity in the first place.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Guys,

I'll never understand why many of you continue to create these threads - posting videos of poor performances on YouTube that expose the methods behind particular effects. You throwing them up here for all to see, is just as bad as the guy(s) performing the effects.

These videos are better left in the depths of the interweb. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results