Jul 31, 2015
Hello i want to get started doing kid show and expand my magic, i was looking for some tips or advice if you could spare any.

The way i am thinking of doing my show would be

Start off introducing myself and what I am there to do, along with setting the ground rules of staying seated and what not,

Then getting into like a 5-? min intro with magic and music the tricks being
•Color changing cane (black cane into red cane which turns into a green cane and then ends with turning into two silks)
•2 silks into 2 canes
&
•Color changing wreaths

Then going into tricks like:
•Vanishing Coke Bottle
•20th Century Silks
•Professors nightmare
•Paper Hat Tear
•Hip Hop Bunnies

Other Tricks that I have are:
•3 box flower production from bag
•6 cups from 2 plates
•Chop Cups to lemons
•Silk to egg
•Metamorphose Can
•Sponge bunnies/bunnies
•Magic Coloring book
•Break away wand
•Ring escape (magnetic version)
•Clear force bag
•Passe Passe Bottles
•Misers dream cup

I want to be able to perform a 30-45 mins show for ages like 6,7,8 and up, magic that isn't really kiddie

Im also thinking about introducing a puppet eventually and doing magic with that too

I know its a lot of questions but I'm just asking if you have any advice id love to hear any if not thanks for reading

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Let me start off with some background on how to perform kids magic. The most important thing with kids magic is to be engaging with the kids. You standing up in front of them doing effects that they have to think about to understand will not play well. Your presentation needs to be interactive. Also, I think that the magic is diminished when you use magic store props -- you know the things that look like you can only buy them in a magic store. The kids simply assume if they had that prop they could do it too (and they are right). There is nothing magical about that.

Start off introducing myself and what I am there to do, along with setting the ground rules of staying seated and what not.

That sounds really boring like the kids are in school. The most likely result is that you have lost the attention of half your audience.

The kids don't care who you are. Just like good writing, good magic SHOWS rather than TELLS. That is, show them who you are by performing rather than introducing yourself. I'm pretty sure within the first 30 seconds, it will be apparant what you are there to do magic.

Talking about rules SUCKS. Really, they won't pay attention anyway and it will reduce your credibility below Mrs. Fartblat, the substitute teacher who yells at them all the time about her rules. The best way to have kids behave is to have a show that keeps their attention.

Then getting into like a 5-? min intro with magic and music the tricks being
•Color changing cane (black cane into red cane which turns into a green cane and then ends with turning into two silks)
•2 silks into 2 canes &
•Color changing wreaths

The three effects seem all too similar to me (one thing changing colors). Also, the effects seem sort of pointless because they are not connected with each other or another routine. Here is the question you have to answer - why would the kids be interested? Also, recognize that those kids have never seen a cane before (which was used as part of formal dress with a top hat) and only see wreaths for Christmas. All of these props look like magic store props.

Then going into tricks like:
•Vanishing Coke Bottle
•20th Century Silks
•Professors nightmare
•Paper Hat Tear
•Hip Hop Bunnies

The vanishing Coke bottle is more of a stunt. It is a cool looking effect, but doesn't have any potential for interaction. I saw a video where flowers were produced from the tube and wondered, why? Also, to be honest, it just looks fake. 20th Century Silks is more promising. However, you have to do more than narrate what you are doing with the props. Where did the silks come from, why are you tying them together, what causes the silk to vanish? Otherwise, it becomes another look what I can do. Professor's nightmare is good and there are a lot of presentation ideas and the potential for silliness with the kids. The hat tear routine is fun, but needs good presentation. I don't like Hippity Hop Rabbits because it looks like a magic prop and because it focuses on methods and because I generally don't like sucker tricks. Nonetheless, that can work well in a magic show, but I would say age 6 and under.

Other Tricks that I have are:
•3 box flower production from bag
•6 cups from 2 plates
•Chop Cups to lemons
•Silk to egg
•Metamorphose Can
•Sponge bunnies/bunnies
•Magic Coloring book
•Break away wand
•Ring escape (magnetic version)
•Clear force bag
•Passe Passe Bottles
•Misers dream cup

3 box flower production from bag - Looks like a magic shop prop and hard to explain why the kids care. Could be used as part of another effect

6 cups from 2 plates - Really looks like a magic shop prop and doesn't even make sense/
Chop Cups to lemons - Is this the Craig Petty routine? If so, it has potential.

Silk to egg - OK, this is the one sucker trick I do like. You need to come up with a good presentation hook.

Metamorphose Can - I have no clue what this is.

Sponge bunnies/bunnies - This would work well, but you need a good story.

Magic Coloring book - Run, run while you can! This will not work or be entertaining for your target audiences. It really does look like a magic store trick.

Break away wand - a good gag to work into another trick that requires a wand.

Ring escape (magnetic version) - Is this a ring on rope effect? Need more information. I love ring on rope effects.

Clear force bag - This is a tool, you need a use for it.

Passe Passe Bottles - This is a great effect, but I wouldn't use it if the bottles are "adult beverages."

Miser's Dream Cup - Has potential. Need a good presentation.

I want to be able to perform a 30-45 mins show for ages like 6,7,8 and up, magic that isn't really kiddie

That is about the right amount of time. Each effect / routine should be around 5 minutes. So you are talking six to eight routines. If your routines aren't that long, you need to find new routines or better develop the presentation.

Im also thinking about introducing a puppet eventually and doing magic with that too.

I have David Ginn's Sheepdog Puppet and love it. It is expensive, but worth it. Someday, I'd love an Axtel puppet... someday.

As always, I'm glad to work with you to develop the show and presentation of the effects.

Jul 31, 2015
hello thanks for reply
you have any good magic to do with music, because thats how i definitely wanna start the show

and the vanishing coke bottle is the one where u have a coke bottle and a paper bag then at the end with the bottle in the bag you just crush it and put it was, which has a lot of room for interaction, not the can in tube to flowers or silk

20th century silks, paper hat tear, professors nightmare i definitely wanna use everything else i just have

chop cup to lemon is not Craig petty but it could be if i just made it that way

metamorphosis can is where u have a can with white spots and a black n white silk, which at the end u take the spots of the can magically and the silks now have the spots

ring escape is the one by fantasia

and i like the sheep dog with the sponge ball in his mouth thats cool
or i was thinking about chico the mind reading monkey

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I have performed the vanishing coke at a kid's show before although I did a variation using a pringles can which I made myself. I used it in the context of teaching everyone a trick where at the end I say it's easy to do because the bag folds up and folded the bag with the can still inside making the can seem to vanish. It worked for me as a bit of a transition between routines because it was a Christmas show and Christmas is about giving so my "gift" was teaching everyone a trick and then I went into an actual routine that ended with a present for one of the kids. I think the vanishing coke could work but you might have trouble fitting it into a routine.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
hello thanks for reply
you have any good magic to do with music, because thats how i definitely wanna start the show

The best magic done to music is manipulation. Billiard balls (get the Fakini balls -- not the cheap ones), thimbles, coins, D-lites, ect. Jeff McBride's World Class Manipulation Series would be the way to go. Jeff has an amazing style and you will learn things there that nobody else does. There is a booklet by Jean Hugard on Thimbles (for around $10). For billiard balls, there is a routine in Mark Wilson's book (please don't point!). To really learn billiard balls, there is a DVD series by Levent. There are thimble and billiard ball routines in Tom Stone's Maelstrom (Tom's work is AMAZING -- I can provide more detail on those routines if you are interested).

You could also do your Miser's Dream cup routine to music.

The vanishing coke bottle is the one where u have a coke bottle and a paper bag then at the end with the bottle in the bag you just crush it and put it was, which has a lot of room for interaction, not the can in tube to flowers or silk.

Got it. To me, it looks like a stunt and would need to incorporated into a routine with another effect with some effective presentation.

20th century silks, paper hat tear, professors nightmare i definitely wanna use everything else i just have

Those are great effects. However, don't use an effect just because you purchased it. I have a bunch of effects in boxes that I don't use because they don't fit into my show.

My advice, is to not buy anything else until you have your show completely designed. You will find that there are a lot of things that seem really cool, but don't fit into the show.

chop cup to lemon is not Craig petty but it could be if i just made it that way

I'd have to see your routine to comment on how it would work.

metamorphosis can is where u have a can with white spots and a black n white silk, which at the end u take the spots of the can magically and the silks now have the spots.

Sounds like a magic shop prop to me. As I mentioned above, avoid those sort of props.

ring escape is the one by fantasia.

Magik Balay is awesome. My sense is that this is more adult than kid magic, but we can work with it.

and i like the sheep dog with the sponge ball in his mouth thats cool or i was thinking about chico the mind reading monkey

Go with the sheep dog -- the monkey is cute but you are really limited in what you can do.

Oct 19, 2015
Reality One....all good comments you offer.....!

One of the guys I found that has a lot of 'How to do Magic for Kids' was Julian Mather, an Australian magician who offers lots of methodology about doing shows for kids. A lot of his work is available for free and of course if you really like it he offers additional training and videos for sale. Below are some links I have kept so that I can review some of his work....Good Luck

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=535263&start=0

Julian Mather, an Australian magician who keeps a low profile has just released a product for the kids and family magician that is, I think a first of its kind.

I was one of the first to join up, I am a pro kid’s magician since I left school (30 odd years now) and I have already found stuff that is now in my show.

The product is a series of videos hosted online where Julian shares all the content of his kids show. The video production and quality is superb and he doesn't hold anything back, he gives you everything including the tricks he uses and the patter should you want to use it.

08PM (GMT)
https://magic4children.leadpages.net/build-your-magic-show/

08PM (PST)
https://magic4children.leadpages.net/bui......how-usa/

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
One of the guys I found that has a lot of 'How to do Magic for Kids' was Julian Mather, an Australian magician who offers lots of methodology about doing shows for kids. A lot of his work is available for free and of course if you really like it he offers additional training and videos for sale.

I watched a couple of his videos and he is extrordinarily average. I would suggest watching Christopher T. Magician instead. You actually can watch his videos without cringing at the presentation. o_O I wouldn't pay anything for Julian to teach me how to do a show... there are a lot better resources to spend your money on.

Oct 19, 2015
I watched a couple of his videos and he is extrordinarily average. I would suggest watching Christopher T. Magician instead. You actually can watch his videos without cringing at the presentation. o_O I wouldn't pay anything for Julian to teach me how to do a show... there are a lot better resources to spend your money on.

I will look at those you mentioned, but when I started out looking for basics on how to set up and work with kids on a magic show I found his material well organized, logical, and creative in how he suggested dealing with the many things that are unique challenges when working with different ages of kids. And all of what I got from his website was free did not cost any more than my time to watch and listen...

I suppose someone who is pro would see it completely different....but that never was my goal...I do it for the pure pleasure of watching how kids are amazed and entertained....and to me that is 'priceless'....

But like 'belly buttons' everyone has an opinion....thanks for the feedback

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Let me put this out there for consideration. There is a difference between performing magic trick for family and friends and performing a paid show for strangers. In performing a show, you need a level of professionalism and polish that makes people feel good about paying you money to perform. If you are under 18 (which I'm guessing the original poster is), you have to be that much more professional.

Here are a couple of ways you can do this:

1. Make sure everything you use has a professional feel to it. I use a small rectangular table with a black damask pattern table cloth in my show. My props are transported in a black tub and aluminum tool case. Even before the show starts, the audience gets the sense that I'm a professional.

2. Make sure your props look, well, professional. This often means more expensive. I also think it means custom looking. Some of my props are high quality (RNT2 Cups & Balls, Proline Linking Rings, Welch Egg Bag, Fakini Billiard Balls). Some of my props are ordinary items that I purchased myself (one routine uses a glass fruit bowl and wooden apple picking baskets, another uses red and blue stationary envelopes with preprinted cards inside, one routine uses a gin bottle and a stack of paper bags).

3. Dress the part. I would suggest nice pants and a collared shirt. Jeans and a t-shirt won't cut it. Your appearance is the first clue as to your character and your level of professionalism.

4. Be flawless. Every routine needs to be practiced, rehearsed and perfected. There can be no hesitation and no room for error.

5. Script your show. Your show needs to have a well rehearsed and practiced script. The script needs to be more than narrating what you are doing. What you say develops your character and the depth of your character is directly related to your ability to entertain.

6. Know why the magic happens. I think this is the most difficult part. The easy out is that it is your skill or the magicky props that trick the audience. To get a sense of what this looks like when done right, watch Jeff McBride's Miser's Dream routine on Youtube.

Apr 7, 2016
Hi All,
Magic show is the best idea for your kids birthday event. All the kids will enjoy a lot with the magic tricks on your kids birthday party. If you wanna keep your kids party even more memorable, here i am revealing an another part of the party. Do you wanna know that?
Add the pinata game for your party.
I had some info to share with you, i thought to celebrate my kids birthday as a special event. for that i have been searched and found the pinatas.
They had all event type of pinatas, if any one interested to celebrate your party as best as before just have look on this site..
http://www.pinatas.com
They had a guidance content that how to celebrate with pinatas.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results