Help with MY COIN TRICK : 3 Way Coin Bender

Hey Guys,

Last week I saw Jay Nobelzada's Video : In the Beginning There were Coins and I saw the coin bend trick. from this I made my own trick . It is a trick where you take 3 coins and you bend them in you fists. As im Australian I use the local 10c 20c and 50c peices. As you can tell I would have to switch normal coins in for the gimmicks which I made. This is where my problem begins. What switch should I use for this? And after I make the switch how do I ditch the normal coins which should be in my right hand?
Ok thats my problem this is what I do for my trick:

The Beginning

I secretly palm 3 bent coins in my left hand. I ask a spectator to give me a 10c 20c and 50c pieces which he has. Now I put these three coins in my right hand in an order of smallest to biggest where the biggest is on the top most of my right palm. This is to ensure that when i make the fake transfer the coins will be safely palmed and not fall out of my hand.

The Fake Transfer

For the fake transfer I literally let the coins talk ( rattle ). This is a way of misdirection and a subtlety which I found to work nicely. I dont know whether any magicians have made any transfers like this so for now let me call it my personal fake transfer till someone corrects me. Ok the transfer now. So up till now we have secretly hidden 3 coins in our left hand( classic palm )and now we are in position to classic palm the three coins in our right hand too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How the spectator sees it

If a layman was to transfer three coins from his right to his left hand how would he do it????
Well as the right hand ( with the coins) turned face down, the left hand would turn face up to catch it. Also the coins will talk as they fall and hit the other hand.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok using this principle I made a fake transfer. All of the about motions should be taken in account to make it as realistic as possible. As we are already ready to palm the three coins in our right hand, if we turn our hand over (palmdown) the coins wont fall as they will be palmed. So I use this same motion as I turn my left hand palm up. This take scare of the simultanious motions of both hands, but this does not make the coins talk as the coins dont actually fall to your left hand. To make the coins talk I jerk my left hand down wards as I turn the same hand palm up. This makes the coins stay in the air for a second then fall straight back to your left hand. These are the bent coins. As soon as this fake transfer is over close your hands quickly but let the spectator glimpse the coins to make sure they are there.

Ditch and Patter

Now we have three bent coins in our left which are bent and concealed under our tightly bent fist. and three coins palmed (classic) in our right hand which is not known to the spectator. The question now is how will we ditch the coin and what type of patter will we have to use for this. This is my main problem with the trick so here is what I do!

Tell the spectator to put his right on your left hand and tightly wrap it around your left hand. (This is some sort of misdirection) Ask them to make sure I do not open my hand Before I finish counting down to 0 from 20. ( this will make the spectator's attention stay on the left hand only). Now I ditch the coinsby simply putting my right hand into my pocket and dropping the coins. This is lame stupid and not a good way to ditch but it works. You are clean and you can now reveal when you finish the count down finishes. Here is the patter which I use exactly from after the left hand is known to have the "normal coins" by the spectator:

"See when I put these three coins in my hand and squeeze it with my left hand, my hand becomes really hot on the inside and starts to hurt my immensley so Bob (spectator) I want you to squeeze my hand really tightly and what ever you do do not let go until I finish counting down to 0. If I do get down to 0, the coins will... well watch for yourself....

20 .... 19 ... 18..... agggg 17 ... 16 ...15....14.... ahhhhahhh It burns...... 13.....12.....11.....10.... oh my god let go please ah.... 9....8....7...6....5...come on ... 4.....3...2...1....0....LET GO AHHHH.

Ok Bob ( in a panting voice like you atually got burnt) look at the coins...."

And thats it. Now The burning patter works becasue if you really do squeeze your hand tightly for 1 minute with coins in it, your hands turn red from the pressure and you will have coin marks all over your hand from pressure too.

And there we go 3 Way Coin Bender.Thats my version, and I need help for the ditch so could someone help??? I don't mind people tryign this trick or posting it on youtube or what ever but please give the acknowledgments to Ashwin Ramesh of Sydney, Australia.

Thankyou for reading and please try to help me. Hope you enjoy the trick if you can't help though.

ps. to bend coins use two pliers and you know bend the coin.

CYA

interesting. if you want to do all at once ( i prefer a one at a time approch to changes ) switch the coins and place all three in there hand ( closed fist) now at this point id do one of two things.

1. psychological heat ruse. you will need to find information on this as it would be exposure to tell you. but there is a way so they feel there hands heating upeven though they are not. i know justin miller uses such a approch

2. psychologial hand lock. osterland has some methods for this. basiclly the spec with coins in hand will grasp there hands togther and become unable to let go , very powerful

both techniques work, althought not sure fire good presentation is key if you fail the ruse.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Yeah i'd do what Joshua Barrett said... there is one more way though, which will allow them to actually feel there hand get hot. It's 100% sure fire and can add a lot of impact to the effect.
Im not sure the exact name but if your interested PM me and i'll direct you to what you'll need.

There is actually quite a few things you could add... Nathan Kranzo has a way of making smoke seemingly emit from your clenched fist, Ken Dyne has an interesting psychological take for a big crowd/audience.

Ive seen the info on what Joshua Barrett was recommending but can't remember where, it's available from quite a few sorces though. Luke Jermay I think is one of the sources but im not sure which of his materials... maybe Building Blocks?

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
A few things.

The false transfer you describe is not new, but good on you for coming up with it yourself!

One thing you're doing that I would say isn't the best is having the coins bend in your own hand. Put the bent coins in the spectator's fist! If you're worried they'll feel the bends, don't make the bends as sharp or pronounced. A little bend is pretty much as amazing as a big one.

Or, put one that's a little bent in the spectators hand, reveal the bend after the buildup, and then switch it for a coin that matches but is bent a bit more; say "I can make it bend a bit more, watch..."

Another tip is to bend the coins when they're wrapped in a cloth napkin, so that the pliers don't leave teeth marks.

As for ditching, have a lighter in your right pocket. When you're talking about burning and heat, go into your pocket for the lighter, leaving the coins. Spark the lighter to illustrate your point, and then put it away.

OR, USE SOME HUMOR! Tell them they'll feel a little heat, and then go for the lighter (ditching the coins), and pretend like you're about to burn their hand. They'll back up and be all like "hey now!", and you'll be clean and have a good gag, too.

When you ditch to a pocket, press the palmed coins against your leg and slowly let them fall to the bottom of the pocket, keeping it as soundless as possible. Try to get the coins to land in a corner; that's quietest and best.

But here's my biggest problem with the routine.

Why are you wanting to bend three coins simultaneously?

I think bending a SINGLE COIN is more of a logical effect, because you are focusing your magic or energy or whatever on a part of a single coin. Bending three coins at once just seems so random.

Scott.

Hey Guys, I love your help but there is one thing I forgot to tell you.... Im still at school and still use my parents money to buy my gear. That rules out andy smoke making machine etc... also because I am known at school for being a magician, peple tend to look in their hands they close it. You may say this is bercasue i dont have much power over the spectator but this is really because of all my spongeball work. They think I hid something etc....... Not the types who would just do what I say. And Im pretty sure that phycology will work onh someone who is well know to you etc school kids...

I really dont mind lighters but im still under 18 years of age so its illegal for me to even carry it

Scott Baird, I do do the one coin bend but thats the routine before I start this. so I do 1 coin then say I can do it with 3 and do this..

Thanks Guys love your ideas, but can you make it so it doesnt invole anything illegal or costly as im not earning yet and still in school.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hey

Im not really sure what to suggest when it comes to your participants peeking... you could routine it so that more than one person is holding the coins eg one has both hands cupped while a couple of others place a single hand over, maybe with yours on top.

If your having trouble then close there hands around the coins yourself... lead them along

If it's really bad then just don't perform for them as they're just trying to catch you out

Or completely rework your routine

interesting. if you want to do all at once ( i prefer a one at a time approach to changes ) switch the coins and place all three in there hand ( closed fist) now at this point id do one of two things.

1. psychological heat ruse. you will need to find information on this as it would be exposure to tell you. but there is a way so they feel there hands heating up even though they are not. i know Justin miller uses such a approach

2. psychological hand lock. osterland has some methods for this. basically the spec with coins in hand will grasp there hands together and become unable to let go , very powerful

both techniques work, although not sure fire good presentation is key if you fail the ruse.

A great source for this kind of presentation piece would be Kenton Knepper and banacheck..youy job is to find out WHICH one.
Happy Hunting,
Justin N. Miller

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results