Hey just want some advice about my 1st vid.

Feb 26, 2008
Chicago
Nice but the camera was really annoying. The 1st flourish I couldn't see. Nice job accept for me I didn't like how you did Shapeshifter. Work on it a bit more. Flex the card down and up. Than do the change, because I got caught once doing the change by doing it like you did. Also try to do one video about XCM and another with magic, or separate the video into two parts.

Dec 3, 2007
That was good, but what i wanted to see really a new style i think your just mimicking Daniel Madison's style.. no offense to you or Daniel.. but everyone must cary their own style just like what Jeff McBride said about copycats...

other then that practice man to perfect :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
Here's my thoughts on your video, unfortunatley there are more bad points than good points but as this is your first video this isn't surprising.

I'm not going to go too easy on you as that won't help you improve, negative criticism is far more helpful than everyone just saying 'Wow teh awesome' even when this is clearly not true.

Good Points:

The flourishes were performed reasonably well.

The editing was quite nice, especially as it's your first video.

Bad Points:

I don't really like how you used T11's or Dan and Dave's music (I can't remember which it is), it's their music for their videos.

I also don't like how you keep saying your underground, there's nothing underground about what you're doing at all.

Your Shapeshifter needs work.

The throwing the cards on the ground thing is really old and everyone does it, it makes you look like a DM clone, same with the grainy camera thing.

While you have the mechanics of the flourishes down they are not as smooth as they could be, the Sybil was very 'jumpy'

You are doing good but you've got quite a bit to work on.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
That change was good. Flourishes were done reasonably well. I think the word Underground is being thrown around alot though. Lay off the d+M cloning abit eh? Daniels cool and all but find your own unique style. :D

Jul 10, 2008
Not to start an argument, but I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here. As for the comments of this not being "underground" I have to ask how you all can make the assumption that what he is performing isn't underground in Greece? It may not be underground here, but Greece is another country, another culture. As for those saying that you are copying D+M's style, then I have to say, "If this is truly your style then I say stick with it. Your style is your style."

Grainy black and white effects for film has been used on everything, magic, flourishing, movies, music videos, etc... Throwing cards on the ground, also, not unique to D+M. If your video is considered "copying" then why aren't all the rest who only film there hands, omitting their faces, or hands and cards presented over an all black background bashed for being posers of De'vo? Those of you who make tutorials with no talking, you know that reminds me of someone as well.

I say be you, that's all you can be. As for my comments on your performance I say it looks good, practice makes perfect, and keep up the good work.

John

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have to agree with jcherry - just throwing this out there, but black and white was around before colour, in case anyone didn't know. Black and white is not d+m solely. d+m was not the first to use black and white, nor does it define him alone. I've been shooting things, albeit primarily photos, for years before I knew who d+m was, it doesn't make me a copier - we just happen to both like black and white.

Apr 28, 2008
Not to start an argument, but I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here. As for the comments of this not being "underground" I have to ask how you all can make the assumption that what he is performing isn't underground in Greece? It may not be underground here, but Greece is another country, another culture. As for those saying that you are copying D+M's style, then I have to say, "If this is truly your style then I say stick with it. Your style is your style."

Grainy black and white effects for film has been used on everything, magic, flourishing, movies, music videos, etc... Throwing cards on the ground, also, not unique to D+M. If your video is considered "copying" then why aren't all the rest who only film there hands, omitting their faces, or hands and cards presented over an all black background bashed for being posers of De'vo? Those of you who make tutorials with no talking, you know that reminds me of someone as well.

I say be you, that's all you can be. As for my comments on your performance I say it looks good, practice makes perfect, and keep up the good work.

John

I don't really agree with the way you define 'underground', underground is defined by the magic community not by where it is performed. Performing well known, widely available flourishes in a different country doesn't make them underground.

Of couse Black and white by itself is not original to DM, neither is throwing the cards on the floor. However, when I see a video containing 3+ things DM frequently does it makes me suspect that he is being copied.

I don't really have much to say on the De'vo issue, if somebody came along with a video that looked exactly like it was from XB or CTG, I might comment on that but it isn't relevant in this case.

As for tutorials with no talking, many people do that as it's generally accepted as being one of the best ways to teach flourishes. Talking is simply not necessary.

Jul 10, 2008
Squ!rrel,
Underground is just a hip/cool (insert your preferred adjective here) way of saying unconventional. Hop on over to the Magic Cafe forums and see what they think of flourishing, ask if it's generally excepted in our community. It's not by the way. Actually, there are some major flourish bashing threads on that site talking about how it's killing magic and all that. Hey, to each their own. Which was precisely my point above. And of course the magic in the video wasn't "underground" but is any magic any more nowadays? How many "new" effects come out almost daily that are just a performers handling of an old effect? As for looking exactly the way XB was shot, I believe that most don't want to go through the trouble of the whole green/blue screen setup to achieve that effect. Therefore, they go the easier route with the hands over black.

My point is that people honor other when the mimic them. Houdini honored Robert-Houdin (at the beginning of his career), David Blaine and Criss Angel honor Houdini ( who by the way was NOT a magician, he said so himself). Sure they don't look like him, but they sure act like him and there's nothing wrong with that. If something works run with it. Thanx for your time and understanding, peace.

John

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
In my humble opinion...

From the description, I was hoping to see you performing on the streets. I have a low tolerance for magic video's that are filled with 2second clips of colour changes. If you put the change into the context of an effect, okay cool, you're using it for what it was intended. If you don't, you're just showing off.

The editing and production was very nice.

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results