Hippity Hop Rabbits Question for you kid performers

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I know how Hippity Hop Rabbits works and have always loved watching good magicians perform it. I am changing up some of my kids material I am wondering what is one of the best versions and quality products made for this effect.
Can anyone help or advise me as to which model they prefer and why?

Aug 6, 2017
This one was made and filmed at one of the local magic shops I frequent. You should be able to order it online if you are interested at fabmagic.com.

I've never heard or seen this trick before until now but the entire time I was like.. wait the sides are just different. Then they reveal the backs! Got me!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Rick:

I say this with the utmost respect... DON'T DO IT! You know how I feel about sucker tricks.

I have some great ideas for unique and engaging kids show effects. Let's discuss on PMs or Skype.

Reactions: RickEverhart
Oct 19, 2015
Reality One.....99% of the time I absolutely agree with your comments. You have been a great mentor and lead me in very good directions, many times. This time, I disagree with reservations...

I have Hippity Hop Rabbits. But I have to qualify my audience....primarily Grandkids and their Parents (My kids and Spouse)! I used this trick with my 3 year old Granddaughter and her 5 year old brother.....their reaction was fabulous....! I think I can use it with one of my other sets of Grandkids who are 11 and 8, but I will have to make the set up really convincing (Sucker them in)....before the final change!

I would not use this to a room full of kids, but with Grandkids....they are a good audience, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I used this trick with my 3 year old Granddaughter and her 5 year old brother.....their reaction was fabulous....! I think I can use it with one of my other sets of Grandkids who are 11 and 8, but I will have to make the set up really convincing (Sucker them in)....before the final change!

OK, I'll agree that it does work well with pre-school aged kids, especially if they are your kids or grandkids. There is something neat about their reaction thinking they have figured it out and then leaving them puzzled.

My concern is two part. The first is that an effect such as this suggests that there is a method. I try to avoid such suggestions. Thinking about methods isn't magic. The second is that these sort of tricks elevate secrets above performance. That is, the magician comes off as superior because they know the method. Every adult and about half the kids in the room are thinking if I had the magic shop prop, I could do that.

Reactions: Timewise64
Jul 26, 2016
I am not primarily a kid's show performer, but do have some experience in this field. Since some suggestions have been made as to good effects for kids, I would chime in with The Magic Coloring Book and The Egg Bag (proceeding with caution, as Reality One warns, not to make it a sucker effect, but rather, maybe let the kids "do the magic.")

I have also had great success with a version of the Professor's Nightmare by Trevor Lewis, he calls, "Stop, Look and Listen." It teaches kids safety in a highly entertaining and magical routine. The patter goes beautifully with the moves. Trevor understands young children, how they think, and how to entertain and engage them; he is a fabulous kid's show performer. I would recommend any DVD you can get your hands on featuring him if you want to learn from one of the best...

Reactions: Timewise64
Oct 19, 2015
I am not primarily a kid's show performer, but do have some experience in this field. Since some suggestions have been made as to good effects for kids, I would chime in with The Magic Coloring Book and The Egg Bag (proceeding with caution, as Reality One warns, not to make it a sucker effect, but rather, maybe let the kids "do the magic.")

I have also had great success with a version of the Professor's Nightmare by Trevor Lewis, he calls, "Stop, Look and Listen." It teaches kids safety in a highly entertaining and magical routine. The patter goes beautifully with the moves. Trevor understands young children, how they think, and how to entertain and engage them; he is a fabulous kid's show performer. I would recommend any DVD you can get your hands on featuring him if you want to learn from one of the best...

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I already have Magic Coloring Book (a real big one) and the Egg Bag, both based on recommendations from folks on this website. They both great for kids...

I do use the Professor's Nightmare, but I have not seen this done by Trevor Lewis...I will look for something from him....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results