Hmm...

Jul 1, 2008
Romania
Yesterday i dicided to go outside with my friend(cameraman) and do some street magic...what was really strange that 40% of the people asked me were did i learned them...what should i say??? i sayd its secret ;)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I usually tell them the truth. That I read it in a book and decided to put my own spin on it.

What is worse is when someone says they learn what I did on youtube, and they know about about double lift yet have no idea about about a top change or KM move. (they are life savers for the intelligent heckler).

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
When they say it just to learn the secret, I just say "Can you keep a secret?" *Answer (yes)* "Well so can I ;)"

EDIT: Please note I did not create that saying, I heard it somewhere but cant remember where. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2008
When they say it just to learn the secret, I just say "Can you keep a secret?" *Answer (yes)* "Well so can I ;)"

EDIT: Please note I did not create that saying, I heard it somewhere but cant remember where. :)

yah its all ovevr but the first time i got interested by it and really appealed to me to use when people ask how i do my tricks was when i watched justin millers loops dvd. he says it in there.

-Jake

May 18, 2008
I almost always answer, "I invent a lot of it."

and move on.

That way you don't lie, and people don't search it on Youtube.

May 31, 2008
To people twelve and over I usually say, "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you."

For kids I usually tell them a book called, "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic." Even if that's not where I learned the particular effect.

There's also a quote from the movie, "The Prestige," but I can't remember it.

To people twelve and over I usually say, "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you."

For kids I usually tell them a book called, "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic." Even if that's not where I learned the particular effect.

There's also a quote from the movie, "The Prestige," but I can't remember it.

"The Secret impresses no one, the trick you use it for is everything."

And no, I didn't just watch the film to get that quote, we had to study it for English last year. (Best English lessons ever.)

Cheers, Tom

May 31, 2008
"The Secret impresses no one, the trick you use it for is everything."

And no, I didn't just watch the film to get that quote, we had to study it for English last year. (Best English lessons ever.)

Cheers, Tom

Close, but the one I'm thinking of is something like, "You can search for the secret, but you'll never find it because you aren't really looking."

That sounds like a really cool English class.

Close, but the one I'm thinking of is something like, "You can search for the secret, but you'll never find it because you aren't really looking."

That sounds like a really cool English class.

Oh, this one,

"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

Cheers, Tom

Mar 22, 2009
I think that the witty comment: "Can you keep a secret? So can I!" is a great way to come across as a complete tool.

This is discussed in Pete McCabe's book Scripting Magic where he has a whole section on answering this question. It's worth checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results