Home Made Gaffs

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Hello Theory11, I'm currently sitting here with sweaty hands after successfully splitting my first card. I have a flimsy back of a card, and I'm looking to turn it into a double backer. My question is this - Should I first split a second card's back off, then just glue those together, or can I skip this and glue the back to the face of another card? I'm worried that if I glue the back to a face it wont work properly, but if it does I would much prefer a sturdy card to a flimsy one. Thank you for any advice.

Peace

When you split a card you should get 1 half that is thick and 1 half that is thin. To get the right sized double backer you should glue a thick to a thin. I remember from Daryl's encyclopedia of card magic volume 8 I think, that you first put a layer of ruber cement on each face of the 2 split cards and let that dry then put some on 1 of the split cards and put them together, stick that in a book and let it dry once its dry you take the excess off with a rubber cement eraser.
Hope I helped:)
Robbie

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
use rubber cement! not glue!

Noted, and actually makes it easier seeing as I have a bottle of the stuff sitting right in front of me. Right now I'm taking the front off of another card and I'm going to glue the back + middle to my other back and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just saw your post maxrob22, thanks for that advice. I'll definitely try the glue technique out.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
When you split a card you should get 1 half that is thick and 1 half that is thin. To get the right sized double backer you should glue a thick to a thin. I remember from Daryl's encyclopedia of card magic volume 8 I think, that you first put a layer of ruber cement on each face of the 2 split cards and let that dry then put some on 1 of the split cards and put them together, stick that in a book and let it dry once its dry you take the excess off with a rubber cement eraser.
Hope I helped:)
Robbie
you are right man

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
you said you split one card and have a flimsy back 1/3 and a 2/3 layered face side

do the opposite with another card and make two card (one double backed the other double faced)

do it over and over and your good to go!

Here is a post I made in another thread.
Hope it helps!!!

I know that this has already been said but, If you are really interested in card splitting and making your own gaffs, Please check out "The gaff factory". You can get it from google. Here is the link.
http://www.google.com/base/a/1577887...18218360441426

This book is awesome. It teaches the use of dry mount tissue in making your gaffs. And, Let me tell you, Once you have made a few cards with the dry mount you will never go back to rubber cement or double sided tape!!

THE GAFF FACTORY:
A comprehensive dry-mounting tutorial
by Craig Matsuoka

He covers
- card splitting
- making double-facer's
- corner rounding
- shimmed cards
- long cards
- split faces and backs
- invisible seams
- Acrobatic Cards
- transparent Hofzinser cards
- eight pages on printing cards on a laser printer

The knowledge you will gain from this book is worth the price of the book many times over. (BTW the price is $20.00 plus $2.00 shipping, Not bad at all).

Give it a try everyone. I bet you will love it!!

Tim

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
They sell fairly cheap machines at craft stores that allow you to make your own stickers. It puts an adhesive back on almost anything. Personally I use the method that has already been posted Here.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Yes, rubber cement works the best i found, but I realized whatever its like less than a quarter to get a gaffed card at a magic store anyways. So why waste 20 minutes making one card.

Oct 29, 2007
I design my own gaffs and print them out on double blanks. You get great results. Much better than sitting for hours splitting cards. LOL!:)

I have used glue and two cards to make 2 double back and a double face for a 2card monte, and im telling you now, dont try it...
it is very thick and your card will warp very fast

i think that if you split 2 faces and use double stick tape and get it on the edges all the way around you should be fine.

Oct 23, 2007
Another DVD

Another DVD on splitting cards is The Art of Card Splitting put out by Magic Makers.

It shows how to split cards in several directions to make many different gaffs as well as some tricks with them. Tells what you'll need etc.

Sep 2, 2007
I have used glue and two cards to make 2 double back and a double face for a 2card monte, and im telling you now, dont try it...
it is very thick and your card will warp very fast

i think that if you split 2 faces and use double stick tape and get it on the edges all the way around you should be fine.

GEE Maybe because your doing it wrong

don't ever tell some one not to try something unless your positive that you did it right.

your supposed to use rubber cement or a glue stick.

You use a filmsy side th a think side.

You have to sand the inside with the edge of a table.

and you have to keep it under pressure!

maybe your were impatient.

If you just didnt split it,well thats obviously not a smart idea. lol

P>S> tape is not a smart idea either.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results