Homemade finger exercises - easy to do

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Hey guys, I have been talking to one of the gym teachers and science teachers that I work with at my school about a finger exerciser I made up. They agree that it can be an effective yet simple way for card flourishers who want to build up strength in their muscles and increase the flexability/speed of their fingers. This can be something you do if you are just sitting around or whenever you have the time (Pictures may be added later, but I will explain the best I can).

To start - you will need a few things:
1. a bottle of water.
2. water.
3. your hands.

The setup:
Fill the water bottle about half way up (or drink it half way down).

Method 1 - Speed/Strength:
The first method will be able to work on strength and speed of your fingers. Take the bottle with the top facing upward. Now their are two ways of doing this. 1 - individual fingers or 2 - using each finger in rotation. For individual fingers here is what to do>Start out by holding the bottle in the center with your index fingers on either side. Squeeze the bottle between those two fingers and rotate the bottle. The water will slide down from bottom to the top of the bottle and force you to hold the bottle harder between your fingers or else the bottle would slip out. You can rotate the bottle as many times as you like which can really work out your fingers. For each finger you do the same method only as you rotate to where the top of the bottle is facing up again, you swap the middle finger on the left hand with the index finger of the left hand. As the bottle is starting to turn about a quarter of the way down again swap out your right index finger for the right middle finger. Keep doing this - swapping finger for finger until you reach your last finger and swap them out for your thumbs. For the pinky I usually have to close my fist with my pinkys sticking out to get the botle to rotate. Rotate many times with a good bit of pressure and increase the speed to build a bigger work out.

When doing either methods you will need to make sure that the fingers that aren't being moved are fully extended or else they may get in the way of the bottle - up to your pinky finger that is - then it is a closed fist.

Method 2 - Flexability:
To use the bottle to stretch your fingers out and increase flexability - is actually pretty simple. Take the bottle and have it with the top facing upward. Your hand needs to be palm down with fingers extended. Place the middle of the bottle inbetween your index finger and middle finger. You may need your other hand to hold the bottle in place while you are doing the next step, which is to try and make a fist with the bottle in between. You will notice that the fingers will squeeze down on the bottle and you will feel a nice stretch. Do this a few times for each "web" of fingers.

Method 3 - Strength:
To build the strength for each finger or all fingers I have another option. Hold the bottle in the middle, like you would for drinking. Take all of your fingers off the of the bottle except your pointer and thumb. You should now be holding the bottle with two fingers. Squeeze the bottle with those two fingers and hold it squeezed for about 10 seconds. Do this with each finger. Feel the burn. :)

A side note - these exercises consist of taking a common object and using it for something other than its original intent (which is also the case for many magicians and objects/gimmicks that are used by them). I think it should be noted that it will depend on the bottle you use as well with how much water is in the bottle. If you want more "tension" for a bigger workout - use more water. If you want less, use less water. Depending on the bottle and how much water you use will depend on the return of friction. As always with any kind of workout - if you feel that it is starting to hurt or you can't continue - dont. I would hate for you to hurt yourself because you want to "push" yourself to the limits.

I hope you all enjoy the small tutorial. Any questions, comments, or concerns, leave a message or PM me. Thanks alot for reading. Enjoy.

Reactions: monsieurgalois
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results