Horror Magic

Later during this school year,my school is going to have a talent show and I(being a widely known magician in my school) am obviously going to be in it.

I mostly want to do tricks that'll scare the mess out of people(some I'm already going to do are Thread,Saw,and MAYBE Screwdriver thru Arm)
but other than the ones I just mentioned, do you guys know any tricks that really make people scream in horror?

Thanks,
The Joker

Sep 1, 2007
I mostly want to do tricks that'll scare the mess out of people(some I'm already going to do are Thread,Saw,and MAYBE Screwdriver thru Arm)
but other than the ones I just mentioned, do you guys know any tricks that really make people scream in horror?

That's not horror, that's shock. Horror is characterized by dread, pathos, and tension. Shock is characterized by startling actions, viscera, and intensity.

There is a distinct difference between scaring someone and startling them. Ask yourself which side of the fence you actually want to be on.

That said, shock magic is ill-suited for a school talent show because it's always done with deliberate bad taste. Humor in such shows is typically pitch black a la Type O Negative.

Steer gets points on technicality with a bonus for semantics but I would recomend freak show stunts.

Human Blockhead
Animal Traps & Mouse Traps
Human Pin Cushion
Human Ashtray
Spiked!
Yogi Thread/ a.k.a Belly Ribbon
Fire Eating/ Blowing
Fire Dancing (poi, staff, whip, & sword)
Spirit Glass
Spirit Bell
Séance Effects
Strait Jacket Escape
Sword Swallow
Chainsaw to Apple held in mouth blindfolded
Sword Through Neck
Book Test: Use a Necronomicon
Kernal from Eye

There that's about two hours worth of material

I agree. Anything with the Necrenomicon is NOT appropriate. Something fun, yet different is Gut Buster, Shrinker, Bi-Section Unlimited, and ghost vision. All of these effects are done by Andrew Mayne. go to his website.

Sep 1, 2007
I agree. Anything with the Necrenomicon is NOT appropriate. Something fun, yet different is Gut Buster, Shrinker, Bi-Section Unlimited, and ghost vision. All of these effects are done by Andrew Mayne. go to his website.

Ah, somebody else with a little sense in their head. For a moment I thought I was alone in believing that everything William, Tally, and Joker were thinking of were just plain bad choices.

It's bad enough recommending shock magic for a school talent show, but to also recommend sideshow stunts and seance effects? Jesus cross-dressing Christ on a bike...

I'm cracking up laughing right now! That was funny as hell. Magic already has a bad stereotype. Show them what magic is SUPPOSED to be like. Gain a few points for our side. Do you really want to scare them? If so, why? Would you rather entertain them? I was into the dark magic when I was younger, now if I see someone trying to do that stuff, I loose all respect for them. Please decide to entertain them. Thats what we all are. Entertainers. Hopefully...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
It's also inappropriate for a school talent show.

Depends where you go to school and the age group.

I agree. Anything with the Necrenomicon is NOT appropriate.

Umm.. you DO know that is a made up book right?

Regardless, why has no one mentioned the razor blade illusion. You throw a blood capsule into that and you got something that people LOVE! I just happen to know a great video that teaches you how to do it.

Also, try swallowing an animal balloon then stabbing yourself in the stomach with a retractable ice pick and offstage have someone pop a balloon in a microphone. HILARITY!!

Gut buster is good, and depending on the size of the stage pen thru arm by Jesse Feinburg can look great with blood. Like needle thru arm... but cheaper.

For starters the necronomicon is completely made up.

Next the subject was horror magic. So some level of maturity must already be assumed on the behalf of the performer.

Lastly I think that the program would work for a highschool program which I assume our poster is in the age group of, I would just advise that the facalty producing the show be given the final authority on the selected performance pieces.

If none of that works for you then play it safe and join the rest of the Internet ranks of teens performing the same new and hottest craze of card tricks and coin exploits. It may be safe but I personally think that it has about as much flavor as cardboard

Sep 1, 2007
I was into the dark magic when I was younger, now if I see someone trying to do that stuff, I loose all respect for them.

Then my guess is that you've never seen someone do it right.

Depends where you go to school and the age group.

Depends also on the faculty. I've learned the hard way that they often believe they know better than the students what said students can handle.

Umm.. you DO know that is a made up book right?

Again, I reference the faculty. As tragic as it is, you need to make sure you're not dealing with a bunch of superstitious dimwits who still believe masturbation gives you hairy palms.

Next the subject was horror magic. So some level of maturity must already be assumed on the behalf of the performer.

Are you kidding me? I've been contacted by people as young as 11 or 12 asking how to do this. Maybe one of them had an idea of the difference between shock and actual horror.

If none of that works for you then play it safe and join the rest of the Internet ranks of teens performing the same new and hottest craze of card tricks and coin exploits. It may be safe but I personally think that it has about as much flavor as cardboard

The implication being that the only way to do something different is to start shock-jocking?

Okay Horror magic,

Tell a scary story and add little subtle sleight of hand tricks that go along with the tricks it is effective.
Or you could get some cold reading under your belt and contact the dead. When mentalist present cold reading in this way it always gives me the chills.

here is some inspiration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVIOI_mBPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM-3pjbMhzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYbKpscmW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-28jLdRgUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnd8lTSPHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdKNtKtbPk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Ko7yPBzUA

just to name a few these are my personal favorite suspenseful and scary magic vids I have seen.

Sep 1, 2007
Tell a scary story and add little subtle sleight of hand tricks that go along with the tricks it is effective.

A gross oversimplification perhaps, but we're facing the right direction.

No. Hardly. My implication is to find your own voice and do magic your way. Don't run stock, and don't do a trick because every other kid your age is drooling over it.

Fair enough.

Moving on to my next question, have you ever performed a seance before? Because I find your recommendation of seance effects at a talent show to be... very strange.

good advice steerpike What your saying makes sense I proably should'nt do stuff like shock magic then in that case

Glad to hear you take constructive criticism. What do you have in mind at this point?

A gross oversimplification perhaps, but we're facing the right direction

simplicity, simplicity, simplicity, or is it location, location, location, IDK just rambling.
Okay why not go the true bizarre magic route and actually tell a story revolving around something supernatural and then replicating things in the routine.

Like talk about a homicidal maniac whom lived during the 19th century and was caught and sentenced to death but was released after a lethal bet. John Manson was not known to lash out at people, but to think he murdered 5 people was unlike him. 1816 their was a chill in the air, even though it was July. John Manson was on trial for being accused of killing in cold blood a family of five. John pleaded to the court that he did not lay one finger on any of the members of the family. There was of course evidence that indicated he was guilty of the murder. He was sentenced to hang by the neck till dead. Dead and cold.

Manson waited in his cell after his physical punishment, he asked to talk to the judge. He pleaded and begged in his cold cell until he got his answer. The judged agreed to talk to Manson in private with 2 guards by his side, just in case. Manson was brought into the judges house where they sat in his parlor. Manson begged for his life, the judged refused. Manson was persistence, he knew the judge loved to gamble, so he asked the judge to give him a challenge anything he wanted. If Manson was able to complete the challenge he would be let free, if not he will hang immediately. Manson asked if he would win this challenge would the judge be willing to loose his life instead? The judge smugly excepted his challenge.
The judge walked to his desk and pulled out a pack of cards he took two cards and carefully stacked them into a triangle he took two more cards and placed them in front of the already made triangle. The judge said only a prayer can save you. The judge then ordered that Manson to turn away from the desk. The judge then said " John this is your challenge if you can knock the farthest stack of cards over without knocking the stack in front of them down, you may be let free. Do not speak Manson the only word I want to here is Amen. When those words leave your mouth you had better hope that the cards fall." The judge stood behind his deck and ordered Manson "Say it."

There was a short but long pause even though it was mid-day during July it was still very cold out. It seemed colder in the room death was lingering at the door breathing his icy cold breath into the room. "Amen" the back to cards fluttered off the table, as if someone had flicked them off the desk. The judge was horrified, Manson was chuckling. The judge and guards stared at the desk in disbelief. "you really should have believed, that I didn't touch that family. Amen." at that moment 3 more lives left the earth, Manson was free. No one knows how the judge and his two guards died that day, or where exactly Manson left to. You then state. "But I know, I know he moved to the new country called United states. Some say he isn't real, but he has lineage." during this story you set up different objects on a table 2 card triangles, and 3 pens behind the last triangle. "He was a freak, Just Like Me" this last part is said facing away from the table.
"Amen" once you say that word the farthest triangle of cards falls and then the 3 pens.
You end their.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results