How are gaff cards supposed to be presented?

Oct 8, 2007
First of all, i would like to say my opinion regarding gaff cards especially the ones being sold today.

I remember reading here in the forums about someone who quoted someone who said something about gaff cards (sorry, i forgot the name). He said that utility gaff cards, double facers, blank cards etc., are better than gaffs being sold in decks from E. I agree on this a whole lot.

E gaff decks contain many cards with more art in it that makes it look more suspicious in my opinion, which also makes it harder to present to the spectators. Remember the cards with the Voodoo man, the coffin, the raven etc.? They are all good for revelations only and not much more. Add to that the fact that they aren't included in a normal deck, it's a different card. You make it seem like you have this magical card, and with this card you are able to find out the chosen card. They see this card as something different and it's not part of the deck. When they see that you have this art card, it opens up the possibility that there are more of these art cards in your deck. Some may not pay too much attention but others will definitely catch on to that. Some would feel that there's no way that there could be a card like that and the card would definitely have to be a gaff. What tricks can you do that would seriously have the spectators scratching their heads more than stare in amazement at how beautiful the "unusual" card is? The skull kings are an example. You'd have to think of a pretty good patter to outwiegh the looks of the card and have a nice effect; otherwise you're just showing them this pretty card.

Now on to the reason why i personally would want a gaff deck that contains more utility gaffs in it. Blank faces, double facers, 2 faced cards (cards with 2 kinds of faces in it, they show different when fanned properly) and others are better because the spectators don't know you have them. They won't notice how pretty the gaff card is because they don't even know it exists in the first place. It blends well with the deck and is very versatile for many other effects. These gaffs work for you without arousing any suspicion towards the deck or the cards that you're using. For me, they allow many possible miracles than just revelations or wierd artwork just with 1 gaff card. !'d efinitely choose that over art. If only they'd make a deck that contains these cards.

Seeing the previews for the UltraGaff, i was kind of dissappointed because they still had these art cards. In the past, there were skull kings, shattered aces and many more; in the previews I saw again some similar cards, the kings stabbing each other and the stabbed 3 of hearts to be exact. Now, I can still find a use for some of the cards with patter. There are cards in the gaff deck that I like though, like the pip matrix, the gaffs that DG used in the UltrGaff preview, the smudged cards, the cards that have their ink "transffered" onto another card, the blurred cards. These, for me, are somewhere in between the utility cards and the art cards; these I can still find a decent use for. In fact, i really like the idea of moving the pips and slowly blurring the card into a blank one.

There's one store that sold cards from the gaff deck individually so the customers could choose specifically the cards that they want. They said that some people didn't want the whole deck and but wanted only some of it. I liked this idea but the problem was, they took advantage of it and sold each gaff for almost $5 each, some even reaching more or less $12. That really turned me off, and i wanted the pip matrix so badly. Other than that, all their other products are WAAAY OVERPRICED, they are seriously taking advantage of people. (Black Tigers for $18! WTF)

When i was supposed to write this thread, i was thinking of asking for advice on presenting gaff cards, how to use them, make sure the spectators don't know that I'm using gaffs, and to be able to make use of them efficiently. Well, this is what came out instead. This is just my opinion. I just wanted to throw that out and let you guys know what I have to say. Please share what you think, I want to hear from others as well. :cool: sorry, it's a bit long

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
It is hard coming up with ways to present these cards, but that's where I find the beauty in them. Not only do you get some really quite decent artwork but it opens up for you to sit down and really work out some great presentation for each card if you want!

For instance here's my handling for one of the skull kings. It always gets great reactions and no-one suspects a thing! I've had people swear I was using heat affectable cards, I even offered for one person to take it home for the night just to see if it changed! :p

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
I agree. The E's gaff deck doesn't have any practical uses. Just some artwork with some card revelations. You could really do a lot more with a deck of cards than just "pick a card" tricks.

There actually are decks that contain good gaff cards (double facers, double index etc.). Look for something called Special Assortment Deck and you will have a lot better stuff than getting an overpriced useless deck from E. It will only cost you around 15$ so it is definately a good buy.

Oct 8, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. I liked Sean's idea on the gaff card, I'll probably go and try it out for myself.

I looked up the Special Assortment Deck (SAD, haha :D), it's just what I was looking for. It's a whole lot cheaper too. Thanks Ineski, for pointing that out.

:cool:

Sep 5, 2007
don't blame the gaff and say that "ohh its too artistic and stuff and i cant present them well" kinda stuff. now if you have ane problems presenting them, the problem actually is not the gaff itself but you. your routine is the problem in it. if you are a "cardician" gaffs are one of the most surprising tools you will ever use. it creates miracles right in front of them. its undeniable.
im just saying.... be creative and not blame the product cause when you think about it, why would they make gaff cards if they dont work?!! and they are top magicians so they know if gaffs work.

Oct 8, 2007
don't blame the gaff and say that "ohh its too artistic and stuff and i cant present them well" kinda stuff. now if you have ane problems presenting them, the problem actually is not the gaff itself but you. your routine is the problem in it. if you are a "cardician" gaffs are one of the most surprising tools you will ever use. it creates miracles right in front of them. its undeniable.
im just saying.... be creative and not blame the product cause when you think about it, why would they make gaff cards if they dont work?!! and they are top magicians so they know if gaffs work.

Well, what I posted was just my opinion. It's also the reason why I posted it, I need help with those kinds of gaff cards. Maybe some are just so creative that they can weave incredible patter to suit the cards, and maybe my creativity isn't always flowing so I can't always make a good enough routine.

My problem is that some cards are sometimes too fantastical, artsy, MAY only be good for revelations, and may elicit suspicion from the spectators. I can't really change what these gaff cards look likeand I don't have the means to create cards of my own with the same quality, so I guess the only thing I can do is to not buy it or adapt to the gaff cards and work my way around them so I can use them well. So that's why I posted this, I'm asking for your advice and ideas. :D Peace

Dec 14, 2007
The problem comes with the fact that we have changed some names without being clear about it.

Generally speaking, a gaffed card, or gimmicked card, was a card that was used secretly in order to create a magical effect. So, a double back, double face, split card, etc would be a gaffed card. These were usually hand made OR done in very special print runs by one (maybe two) companies.

Then, in the 80's, 90's we had an influx of some very clever ideas that still operated along these same lines. (Don England's work comes to mind.) These were cards that again were employed secretly to create a magical effect BUT were often designed or printed in a very unusual manner - more so than we had been used to. Again, these were usually hand made and still sell at high prices when they can be found.

Since the printing process has changed, it has become so easy to make almost anything our imagination allowed. I think one of the first tricks to really take advantage of this was Power's Diminishing Returns.) It was a deck of cards, each one gaffed, but the gaffs were never to be seen - they were a secret.

Now, it seems, that "specially printed cards" are being called gaffed cards. These are cards where the special printing itself is the effect, or the card is used openly in the trick itself. These would be cards that end up with swirled ink, or angels holding hands, or whatever. (Steve Beam may have been the first to use a traditional "gaffed card" as a "specially printed card" in a trick. It was INGENIOUS!!!!)

While magicians have long used specially printed cards (three and a half of clubs, for example), today's technology has allowed for some amazing ideas to come to press.

So, using a split card secretly in an assembly routine is to use it as a gaff. To use a split card as the finally of a routine where two cards end up fused together would be to use it as a "specially printed card."

Maybe that will help better think more clearly about what they are buying and what it is meant to be used for.

Brad Henderson

Feb 28, 2008
There's a lot of cool stuff in the E Gaff, but I think you're right about the more artsy ones (ie the coffin). Personally though, I just like the art of the cards and mostly enjoy them for that as I only use one of the cards reguarly - the shattered ace of hearts.

I'm intrigued by the new Ultragaff, but personally hope most of the tricks that come out of it will be a lot more natural feeling as you've stated.

Oct 8, 2007
Brad,

With that you've said I don't know how long you've been into magic but nevertheless you gave me some new insights regarding those cards.

I guess it just depends on how you use it and how well you can use it.

Dec 14, 2007
Thanks.

I left out "Fa-Ko Decks" from the history I recounted. These were probably the first "ultra gaff" decks ever made, if you wanted to call them that. They had some very cleverly printed cards, but nothing like we have today. While a lot of people make fun of those old decks, the principles in some of the cards that people thought unworkable have been put to great use by guys such as Maven and Soloman.

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results