"How did you do that?" Responses:

Apr 6, 2010
Ok so although im new to magic and to theory11, i thought id start a meaningful post and get some banter on the go.

Im hoping you guys will agree with me that one of the most common responses to a well performed trick or routine is "How did you do that?"

I thought id make a thread and see what kind of things you guys would say/do say in response to someone who asks you that or something similar after you have performed.

So, what is your response?

Cheers,
Steve

Nov 7, 2009
It depends on the situation... If its some adults I will just not answer (David Blaine.... haha) But if its some kids I will say 'very well thank you' or MAGIC!!

Mar 21, 2010
@AlfieWhattamMagic - Maybe it's just me, but I've always disliked the "Very well, thank you." and "It's MAGIC!" line.

Mar 21, 2010
@Slicke - Yes, as do I. I just leave them with that thougth, and just leave them with that wonder of "How did I do that?".

Apr 6, 2010
I guess its more of an automated reaction with most people, human instinct is to want an answer for anything and everything.

Cheers,
Steve

Jun 1, 2009
I agree that it depends on the situation and kind of how they ask it. If its a reaction out of pure awe "what the...how did..???? wha...???" Then I just sit back and smile :D

If its more of a "Wow that was cool. How did you do that?" I usually reply magic or "don't worry about it" with a grin.

It also depends on who I'm working with, I can be a bit more informal with teenagers (i.e. "Don't worry about it".) than with adults.

Its all personal preference really.

Jacob

Apr 6, 2010
I guess you're right worldmagic, if you really amazed an audience then they would sit their in stunned silence or do the usual back away holding their face with their hands routine.

Steve

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
not quite what i was saying

i see it as the spectator expressing disappointment(not sure if thats the right word) upon losing.

them feeling like they lost comes from the performer doing "challenge magic" where the performer says a sort of "go ahead, try to catch me tricking you" which isnt good magic

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
not quite what i was saying

i see it as the spectator expressing disappointment(not sure if thats the right word) upon losing.

them feeling like they lost comes from the performer doing "challenge magic" where the performer says a sort of "go ahead, try to catch me tricking you" which isnt good magic

Exactly. If a magician frequently gets the "how do you do that?" question, the accurate answer most likely is "without effective patter and presentation." If the spectators are focused on the method, you haven't done your job as a magician.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You also need to keep in mind the difference between, "How did you do that?" and "How did you do that!"

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For the most part, yes, but not always.

I'll be honest, my reaction to magic that really wows me is, "How did he/she/you do that?" I'm not actually wanting an answer, it's just my first reaction when I see something that amazes me.

Dec 30, 2009
generally if they ask how i did it i laugh, because a lot of the time its not a serious question its sort of an automated human response when they see something amazing, if they press on about how to do it i say something like "magic" or "thats for you to decide" i try not t automate my response to that and just say what comes to me, sometimes ill repeat my mothers old line of "Verry carefully" lol occasionally "now what fun would it be if i told you that?", whatever response i might give i give rather quickly and move on to the next trick to avoid further questioning lol

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
even though i dont strive for the response, if i do get it (which everyone has) i usually say something like 'magic' or i ignore it. sometimes i'll launch into a really elaborate but extremely impractical method (kind of like the exposure vids we've had)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results