How do you name a Flourish?

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
I think it really depends on whatever your move is. Some people name the move before they even come up with it (to achieve a goal)... some people stumble into something then try to name it based on something it reminds them of (Tornado?). Or you could even just name it based on what it really is (Pivotal Cut).

Aug 31, 2007
UK
What I try to do is take a few cuts that other people created and try and think of alternative names for them , sometimes you might find a good name that will fit another cut .

Sep 2, 2007
What does your cut resemble?

If you see any similarities within shape or other things, you'll have something to work with.

Just remember, naming your material is pretty pointless unless you're going to share it. Naming it is merely for indexing it, so you can remember your inventions by names, as opposed to movements. If you plan to name something, I suggest you try to make the name live up to the way the flourish looks. You're just going to disappoint people if your flourish sounds like some nuclear weapon and it's merely a boring swing cut-variation.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
You're just going to disappoint people if your flourish sounds like some nuclear weapon and it's merely a boring swing cut-variation.
Hahaha that is an excellent point. Just because it might be the best move you've ever invented doesn't mean it should be named the best move in the world :)

its pretty much how your imagination takes in the input. i mean, ask yourself, what does it look like? how did you get in to it? is there a word in the description that you feel sums up the display. perhaps the word is totally wierd to everyone but you see the resemblance.

Sep 19, 2007
London, England
Sometimes names just come to you. Most of our names we just came up with on the spot because we saw something interesting or heard something on the radio :p

But yeh, calling something Pirroette of the Dying Royal Flush isnt gonna work unless the cards are dancing around whilst dying terrible deaths, which doesnt usually happen. Unless youve been sniffing fanning powder too much.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
But yeh, calling something Pirroette of the Dying Royal Flush isnt gonna work unless the cards are dancing around whilst dying terrible deaths, which doesnt usually happen. Unless youve been sniffing fanning powder too much.

One more reason not to do that. Lol.

Especially considering that one of the main ingredients in Fanning Powder can cause some sort of lung problem if it's inhaled too much. I think. But inhaling anything except air is bound to have some sort of adverse reaction. ;-P

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
One more reason not to do that. Lol.

Especially considering that one of the main ingredients in Fanning Powder can cause some sort of lung problem if it's inhaled too much. I think.

you are correct, zinc stearate is the dangerous chemical (although fanning powder is usually only a percentage ZS, not pure), and it causes very bad lung problems if you inhale too much of it. That's why I'm shocked that Jeff Mcbride recommendsd just literally pouring it on the side of his deck and starts faro'ing :eek: (in zoom bounce and fly)

Sep 19, 2007
London, England
Never tried fanning powder, but i hear it smells nice.

Anyways we're going WAY off topic, so back to the matter at hand. :p

You could call a Flourish Zinc Stearate if you wanted. I guess.

Sep 12, 2007
My two cents here...try to name it so that when someone hears it they can sort of envision it. Examples would be: thumb fan (made with the thumb) pressure fan (made with uh....pressure). I kinda think it's ridiculous giving these crazy names to flourishes, but that's just my perspective. I mean, does the Jackson 5 "look like" a bunch of kids with afros? Does one of the cards suddenly turn from black to white??

So there you go, also I don't think it's bad to name it after yourself if it's truly original and not just a variation of an existing move.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results