How do you name a trick?

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I have been mostly creating magic for my performances with no intention of marketing it at the time of creation.
So when I finally have decided to package and sell online, I do not have a specific method of naming my effects.

So wire artists, I would like to know your naming process. How do you name your effect to have buzz, be short and yet relate to the effect itself.

If you do a project that includes multiple effects, how do you name the project.

What are your priorities.

If you just mention how you named the effects you published, it would be helpful to a confused fellow magician.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm generally pretty literal when I name my tricks, with just enough thrown in to make them memorable to me.

So, I have a living dead test. I call it "Night of the Living Dead Voodoo Doll". "Energy Transfer" is my take on PK Touches.

Otherwise I just reference the pretense of the trick. "Sin Eater". "Catagelophobia".

Don't try too hard to come up with a "cool" name. Just try to come up with something that makes sense.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
I'm generally pretty literal when I name my tricks, with just enough thrown in to make them memorable to me.

So, I have a living dead test. I call it "Night of the Living Dead Voodoo Doll". "Energy Transfer" is my take on PK Touches.

Otherwise I just reference the pretense of the trick. "Sin Eater". "Catagelophobia".

Don't try too hard to come up with a "cool" name. Just try to come up with something that makes sense.

Interesting response Christopher, and yes I prefer relevance of the name over "coolness" of the title.

Jul 12, 2014
i ts a really great question and i totally relate to it its kind of hard to tell if the first name is the final name. so don't think you are committed to one name. this will get the nervousness out of naming as a process. second, look at things you like that don't Necessarily relate to the trick itself. for instance,some of the routines in Aaron Fisher's books are named after Beatles songs. and also, don't think the name of the trick have to be catchy and commercial. because the name is for your self to remember first. good luck naming :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results