how do you protect your cards?

Dec 6, 2016
Hi, quick question, How do you all protect your decks?
I just want to know how you keep the boxes protected from wear in things like your bag or pockets.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You can use a Joe Porper card clip, which does a fine job or you can purchase other clips that may be a bit cheaper. Honestly I only use cheap bicycle cards from Costco and don't even protect my cards. I just pitch the deck or after my shows/performances or hand them to a kid and watch them smile as they walk away staring at them.

Reactions: RealityOne

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I use a security team and guard dogs... lol

Seriously though, I don't really protect them at all. Sometimes I'll put a deck in a zip lock baggie if it's rainy. That's about it. Cheers!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Well you see, I'm a highschooler, so money is pretty hard to come by for me personally, so what rick said is true, if you can afford to buy bricks repeatedly (granted, a Bike brick is $15 at Costco). I bought a brick of Tally's almost 5 months back now and still have 9 unopened packs and 3 in great condition. However, I like to keep my magic performing cards in prime condition, and also wish to keep them protected since a few packs are being kicked around in my bag all day. I use a card clip on the deck that I am carrying around to perform whenever. I also sometimes "repressurize" the cards to put them in better condition.

The best thing I can say is first break them in. I find decks that are broken in to last so much longer, even if it's just because I'm not dropping hem in the middle of my performances. Next, use a card clip I am so glad I put m decks in a card clip, just because of how much they get tossed around, or dropped. Finally, keep your older decks to use for other things, so you aren't wearing out the nice ones (you can use them to practice, play games, and just mess around).

Also, make sure you wash your hands before practicing and/or performing whenever possible, so that the finish stays perfect on the cards.

Reactions: RealityOne
Feb 18, 2015
To protect your box, you can use Dan and Dave's deck stays, found at artofplay. To protect your cards, keep them in a cool place, and wash your hands before practicing/performing so the finish does not wear off because of the dirt. Put the cards back in your box instead of leaving them out in the open, don't put the cards in your pocket (unless you have a Porper clip or something). If you have cards that have a click (one packet bending one way and one packet the other and cannot be sprung back straight) then try shuffling the cards face up into facedown. For both the box and the cards themselves, keep switching between at least 3 decks after every day. Keeping this cycle of switching decks keeps the cards great for a long time, but eventually the card's finish will wear off. For these "worn out" decks you can play cards with them, or practice mercury card folding and gimmicking.

May 2, 2017
I highly recommend card clips! They really do a great job on making sure the deck stays in good condition. I also get compliments on my card clips and people are always curious as to what they're for, so I guess you could say that they're also a great conversation starter. Also, make sure that your hands are clean before handling them! Oh and make sure that you're handling your decks on a clean surface, if you are using a surface at all. I have accidentally set my cards down on wet areas before and it's definitely not fun.

Reactions: FirstFlourish
Mar 2, 2016
United States
I highly recommend card clips! They really do a great job on making sure the deck stays in good condition. I also get compliments on my card clips and people are always curious as to what they're for, so I guess you could say that they're also a great conversation starter. Also, make sure that your hands are clean before handling them! Oh and make sure that you're handling your decks on a clean surface, if you are using a surface at all. I have accidentally set my cards down on wet areas before and it's definitely not fun.

I agree. I dropped my cards in the sink one day. Awful times shortly followed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results