How Do You Start A Trick?

Aug 14, 2010
New Zealand
I've been having trouble with showing people tricks well mostly just getting into the cards. I mean I don't wanna look like a wierdo just randomly pulling out a deck and saying to a random, 'Hey! Wanna see a magic trick?'
So can you guys give me some advice as to how I should show people my tricks and how you go around to doing this?
Thanks

Sep 6, 2010
Well you have a few options:

1. Learn some tricks that don't involve cards (especially good openers). This will help you let your audience know you are a magician.

2. Be THAT weirdo. This is something that most people don't know: Nobody cares. If you are in the car, do you think the person driving behind you cares if you have a deck of cards with you? What about the person in line at a restaurant? People could care less, but you (like 99.9% of the world's population) think they care about what their hobbies are, if they are a magician or not, ect...

People LOVE card tricks! And they will think it's cool that you do them. Don't be afraid, and don't care about peoples' opinions so much. Why would you not want to do what you love because some random guy thinks that its weird?

That is my advice and a very important life lesson. I hope I helped you.

Dec 17, 2010
What he said ^

You have to be that weirdo, hey. I'm really self conscious of myself, about my looks, etc. But when it comes to magic, I don't personally care, I bring my cards everywhere with me. And my practice if i'm not doing anything in particular. You probably don't want to take advice from me, some guy that only shows magic tricks to friends and family. But if you're really proud of a trick you can do, Don't feel scared to go up to them and go "Hey! Wanna see a cool trick?". Or if you're still self conscious about doing card tricks, learn some tricks that can be done with everyday objects, eg. Coin tricks.

Sep 2, 2007
London
There is no single right way to approach a potential audience. The key thing is to get over any fear you might have about approaching them, as nervousness and tension will transmit to them and make them feel uncomfortable. With that in mind, the key thing to remember is to relax yourself as much as possible before approaching. You can do this "artificially", by taking deep breaths, and progressively relaxing your muscles from the top of your head to the soles of your feet. Alternatively, you can just practice approaching people and build up confidence that way. So, find excuses to approach people. Maybe ask them what the time is, ask them for directions, something like that. Try this with various different sizes of groups, ages, and in different situations. When you're comfortable doing this, add in a bit of performance. Not necessarily magic, but maybe have a funny line prepared and try and get a laugh, or try and engage them in conversation. When you're comfortable approaching strangers and making them laugh, or just talking to them, then you can introduce the magic.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Practical advice: Create tricks with cards that demonstrate different things (Psychic abilities, fate vs. chance, demonstrating anything)and then steer the conversation into one of your tricks topics. It's really simple, if there is a pause let it sit and then ask 'Hey, something I was thinking about the other day, you guys believe everything is destined to be this way or do our actions create that destiny?' and then go into a do as I do effect to show what you mean.

It's simple, and many people won't realize it's a magic trick until after you've started-after you've gotten their interest.

Don't just limit yourself to these topics, see what you and your friends talk about on a daily basis and try to incorporate those topics into effects. You may still be a weirdo with cards, but nobody will realize it because they're interested in what you're demonstrating with them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results