How do you teach/mentour magic?

Apr 11, 2013
I am a magician that did magic for almost two years, so I just carry my deck around my classes
So people ask me for tricks and I show them.
And now there are two guys who wants to learn magic from me, so how do I teach them or should I teach them?
I mean they like my teaching (I taught them Erdnase top change and double lift) but I am not sure that what I should teach them? Is there anybody who can give me some tips?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Two years is not nearly enough time to become a "teacher" in anything. And you've essentially ruined it for yourself when you try to perform for people now. Because they will just constantly ask you to teach them how you did it each time.

Apr 11, 2013
I know that I am not qualified to teach them, but they really look like they want to perform it not know it. Usually when people ask me "can you tell me how that is done?" I don't tell them, or I say "it's magic." Anyway is there a direction that I could steer them in, like a good beginner inexpensive books?

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
How did you start two years ago? that would be an obvious spot to begin. This website is another. If you are asking if there are any good beginner books then you really need to stop any form of of 'teaching' and spend the time learning your self.

There are many inexpensive beginner books, check out Dover publications for their list of books which include the Royal Road to crad magic, Bobo's modern coin magic and Karl Fulves serries of self-working magic title among many others. Most of the dover books are around $10

I think everyone should have a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic which you can get for $15-$20.

Is there a magic shop in your area? If so there is no better place for a beginner than going into a real shop. Also check out the nearest IBM or SAM club.

And if they are truly interested get together with them and jam on a regular basis to learn from each other.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What might be good for you to do is the same kind of thing I did with Hypnosis.

Here's what I did:
Me and my friend both got into hypnosis at the same time. We had the same resources, so we just studied and then whenever we got together we'd discuss what we'd learn and talk about other resources. So we learned at the same time. When we were ready, we got together and worked with people together so we had each other for pointers. This built our skills up very quickly.

So in your case what you can do is everyone get a copy of, say, The Royal Road to Card Magic and start working through it. You can discuss techniques and such when you're together and work with the audiences by handing off (as long as you're not doing the exact same tricks).

That way you'll progress together.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results