How many acts?

Jul 16, 2022
I want to ask how many acts do you have? I am asking this because i want to have a conversation with people who can give me answers.
I also want to ask, where is everyone? The discussions are slow, and it seems this site is dying.
Am i wrong?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I want to ask how many acts do you have? I am asking this because i want to have a conversation with people who can give me answers.
I also want to ask, where is everyone? The discussions are slow, and it seems this site is dying.
Am i wrong?

If I get your verbiage right….1 act. I have a busking set I've tried out piecemeal and will be putting it all together this spring. My persona is still in its developing stages, so far I’m a hack just doing a starter act…coin/card stuff, rope stuff, Invisible deck. I’m a Newby to performing still. There are some professionals that post here now and then that will certainly be more knowledgeable for answers…unless your questions can be answered from my most recent mistakes I could only point you to people whose brains and lectures I’ve been picking over.

I do 3 routines in that act. I have more routines and tricks…just not in that act.
I hail from the frigid North (currently frigid)…Washington State USA.
As for this sites forum being slow, it waxes and wanes. US major holidays are usually slow here. I might be imagining it but the forums seemed more active several years ago.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
I currently have 3 acts. One I use for a general, family friendly show that lasts about an hour. This is usually all ages and is my go to for most bookings. This act fluctuates though, I have 5 pieces of magic I will do but will switch out endings depending on how I feel the crowd out when I arrive to a performance.

My second act is my comedy magic act. This leans heavily on stand up comedy infused with magic. I'm from the Chicago area and Chicago is well known for comedy so I try to infuse that with magic. Plus booking wise for me it's better to write some jokes and do magic together to get into some of the bigger clubs like Laugh Factory or the Improv. This is currently my favorite act because it constantly makes me think and if a joke doesn't hit with the crowd you can resort to magic again.

The third act is a rare act because I mainly do side show effects with nails, needles, and razor blades. I only perform this for things such as tattoo expos or Halloween. I originally was fascinated with shock magic when I started but couldn't make it marketable so I began the comedy but it's definitely fun to perform when Halloween rolls around. Just advice if you ever want to try side show, find a mentor and don't try sticking anything into your body that can hurt you.

I am just outside of Chicago. I occasionally pop in here from time to time to try the Saturday night contests just to keep the creative juices flowing. As JoshL8 said, it comes and goes.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have 5.

The most common thing I'm hired for is my intimate theatrical seance. 12 guests plus myself, very traditional Victorian style.

I also have a seance that is designed for stage. For that there's a table on stage with 4 seats, and then a larger audience sits in the normal seating. That one is more like a play.

I also have a solo show, which is a mixture of bizarre magic, hypnosis, and sideshow. That one is currently being reworked and will be more focused on bizarre/story telling based routines.

Then I do a partner act with my wife in which she does strongwoman stunts and sideshow and I do a mix of sideshow and bizarre/mentalism.

And then lastly I also occasionally get hired to do purely story telling gigs with no magic at all. That's usually a Halloween or Christmas thing.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I have a stand up act (for groups of say 50-500) (45 minutes)
I have a stand up, close up act (this is a variation of the regular stand up act for groups of 10 - 50 in a smaller space) (40 minutes)
I have a sit-down close up act (which is a combination of my walk around sets and my stand up material) (40 minutes)
I have 6 walk around sets: 4 tried and true sets and 2 experimental material. (3-5 minutes each)

Typically though, the stand up show and walk around is all I realistically do. The other acts were created to serve specific customer event requests, but never really used again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results