How many copies does a magic book sell?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Just a bit curious.

Does anyone know how many copies a popular magic books sells? Say a book like Paul Harris The Art of Astonishment.

Jan 17, 2011
themagicnetwork.com
I think a book that is popular and has been around for awhile has probably sold several thousand copies... but that is just a guess.

Andy Nyman's "Bulletproof" is limited to 750 copies, and from what I have heard, most of those have sold, although it is still not sold out (I'm sure it will sell out eventually).

The deluxe edition of "The Berglas Effects" was limited to 100 copies, and those sold out REALLY quickly... so I am sure the regular edition, which is much cheaper and will be more widely available, will sell quite a lot of copies.

Just some examples to gauge... but I really have no idea how many copies a book actually sells.

Jul 13, 2010
Not that many. Magic DVDs outsell Magic books by far and away. I think that´s the reason most magicians today prefer producing DVDs.

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
Kinda off topic but...I think magic DVDs should be sold in limited copies... Sorta bad for a business like t11, but if they were limited the product and secret would hold more value. Then it's not as easy as just having a credit card, the content is just more valuable and exclusive.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
It really depends on the author. Some writers deliberately refrain from promoting their material allowing people to learn about them via word of mouth (I'm guilty of this); Some prefer to sell only a limited number of units (typically less than 500 with many being limited to as few as 50 copies). However, there are those that put books out and in a week have enough to put a nice down-payment on a new home or buy a car, etc.

The other factor you MUST keep in mind is the fact that every 12 year old with a computer that's "studied" magic for more than a year believes he/she is ready to write a book and sell it on line via Lulu, etc. In other words, the market is way over saturated and in order to sell a book you need to build value into it. The first step to this end would be creating name recognition; submit ideas and routines to the various on-line publications as well as the classics like Genii, MUM, MAGIC, Linking Ring, etc. Just get your name out there!

After a year or two you'll be established enough to actually move a decent amount of product with that first book. . . but research things first. Talk to actual publishers and old guys that have an actual track record when it comes to knowing if or not what you produce is worth the hassle of putting a book together. Too, don't be a cheap skate! If you write a book put at least a dozen or so effects. . . good effects in the tome along with a solid sense of structure. Price it in a manner that is fair and "humble" unless you have the kind of accolades around the material that suggests that you can pull a Jerome Finley and charge $1,000.00 for an eBook.

Take your time and think about what you're doing, why and if or not you've developed the level of reputation that will insure sells and support the price.

Jul 13, 2010
A book should have a solid foundation.

Some people think they´re some years in the magic business and that ensures they have the competence to write a book. That´s silly.
Most of the well-known authors of magic books (Minch, Kaufmann just to name two) spent YEARS just for the research of ONE book.
Beside the professional competence, they need a communicative personality and social skills as well.
Even among the 'best' it´s hard to find someone who has all of that.

I totally agree that ONLY magicians with a settled reputation, who are well-known in a positive way, should write books (for their own (financial) good).

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results