How many flourishes do YOU know?????

Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I was doing cardistry on the train one day ,and a lot of people were looking. After about 8 flourishes people started to look away. It seems that unlike XCM, flourishes get boring to laymen very quickly. I know about 38 flourishes not including two handed cuts, displays ,and XCM moves. Is that too much ,or is that too little. There are a lot more flourishes that I want to learn ,but I don't know if I am overdoing it or not.

How many flourishes do you know not including XCM moves, two handed cuts ,or displays?????

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I will answer your question later when I have more time but let me ask YOU a question. How many of those flourishes do you think that you are good enough that everyone would give you positive feedback on them. For example, how many of those are smooth, fast/slow, and perfected (relatively)?

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Ok, my on topic reply:

What the heck?! There is no way you can do 38 one handed cuts (well) unless your definition of "flourishes" is different than mine.

But I know 10-15 2 handed cuts and probably 5 one handed cuts. But I work on them until they are really good and until they are smooth as I want them so I don't plan on learning too many more too soon.

Nov 27, 2010
Ok, my on topic reply:

What the heck?! There is no way you can do 38 one handed cuts (well) unless your definition of "flourishes" is different than mine.

But I know 10-15 2 handed cuts and probably 5 one handed cuts. But I work on them until they are really good and until they are smooth as I want them so I don't plan on learning too many more too soon.

By flourish I mean two handed cuts. I know 38 Two handed cuts.

Jul 17, 2011
Enough to count, probably...lets see:
Charlier Cut (both hands)
Revolution Cut (both hands) + Variations
Scissor Cut (Left hand, working on Right)
(3 packet) False Cut (dunno the name)
(3 packet) False Cut #2 (dunno the name)
(3 packet) False Cut #3 (dunno the name)
(3 packet) False Cut (my creation...haven't named it yet)
K-Town Flip (needs work)
Blink (needs work)
Thumb Fan (Left hand)
One-Handed Fan (both hands)
Blank Thumb Fan (left hand)
52 Closer (from Genesis v1, left hand)
Lengthwise triangle (as taught in Genesis v1)
Widthwise triangle (different than the Genesis v1 version)
Pickwhip (Genesis v1)

Right now I'm working on two-handed one-handed cuts (doing two simultaneous one-handed cuts) as well as the one handed shuffle.

So, as far as two-handed cuts, as I said before...not enough.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Well, to be honest it doesn't matter how many flourishes you can do as long as you can do enough of them well to put on for a performance (of course if performing is your goal) for a group as large as you want.

I have no clue how many flourishes I know, especially since there are endless variations. I flourish at least 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more. I can really only make rough estimations... probably between 100-200 distinct variations.

Also, I wouldn't really consider XCM different from Cardistry. There are certain moves that have been labeled under either of the two titles, but I don't consider them to be different. Cardistry is meant to encompass all flourishes, moves, juggling, stunts, fans, spreads, twirls, cuts, styles, and so on so I expect more and more people from the community will refer to Cardistry as the overall descriptive word as time goes on, but we'll see. :)

As far as performing goes; pick quality over quantity. Learn the flourishes you like the most really well, and only perform those in front of people. Treat it like performing magic, music, or any other performance art. Also, its important to have a goal/purpose for what you are doing. Sometimes, I'll go two week without flourishing for anyone else but myself; it's medication/therapy for me. Find out why you are doing it, and make your choices from there. ;)

Jul 17, 2011
Recently I started trying to perfect my Double Revolution cut, and I came up with an "under" revolution cut. (You take the bottom packet instead of the top.) It's probably been done before, but I didn't have anyone teach me.

Sep 2, 2007
Recently I started trying to perfect my Double Revolution cut, and I came up with an "under" revolution cut. (You take the bottom packet instead of the top.) It's probably been done before, but I didn't have anyone teach me.

Sounds like Dan and Dave's "Revolution Erdnase".

Sep 10, 2011
Let´s count them:
Charlier Cut- Letf Hand
Riffle Shuffle- If that´s considerd a flourish
Spring
Dribble
Little Genisis
MIME
Swing False Cut
190 Helix Cut
Le Paul Spread- Still working on it
Thumb Fan- Left hand
Ribbon Spread
Arm Spread
The Werm
The Pressure Fan
The Wall Spread
The Flicker
So yeah, those are the flourishes I know

Dec 12, 2010
Gosh, this might take a while. I will start with the basics.
Pirouette
Thumb fan
Pressure fan
Under pressure
flickr
arm spread
ribbon spread
Helix
Spring
Dribble
MIME
Charlier both hands
Revolution both hands (sort of)
Hot shot cut
Now for more complex...
Pandora
J5 (ish)
Madonna
Molecule 1-4
Twisty McVeigh
Sybil 947
TCTCSA
TCTEESA
Crabshack (duh)
Imin
Vanadin
Mocha tu
That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll think of probably 10 overnight...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results