How often do you open a deck of cards?

Nov 9, 2012
England, UK
I'm a magician, and I have quite a "lot" of decks most are sealed. There are some I will eventually open and others that will forever stay
sealed . . . hopefully. I am just curious on when all of you crack open a new deck :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, it depends, sometimes one feels like using cards this week and maybe doing something else the next.
I've never used more than one deck in 4 days, So maybe open a new one every week. Just depends on what I'm doing at the moment. I also realized something, the better you get, the less decks you will use, practising moves, will damage cards, apart from them falling all over, but once you become fluent at handling cards, there should be less damage, and will last longer. :) What do you do with your old decks? I have a shoe box, full of old cards , with no use for them? :)

Dec 29, 2011
I like my cards to be really worn in, so I've been using the same 10 or so decks for roughly a year now, so I guess that averages out to using a single deck for a bit more than a month. However this is partly because I was never able to afford more, but I should be receiving a rather large order quite soon, so we'll see how my habits change.

Nov 3, 2012
Hey man, it depends, sometimes one feels like using cards this week and maybe doing something else the next.
I've never used more than one deck in 4 days, So maybe open a new one every week. Just depends on what I'm doing at the moment. I also realized something, the better you get, the less decks you will use, practising moves, will damage cards, apart from them falling all over, but once you become fluent at handling cards, there should be less damage, and will last longer. :) What do you do with your old decks? I have a shoe box, full of old cards , with no use for them? :)

I keep old cards and make gaffs or just use them as dummy cards to experiment with. :p

Lol it really depends on what deck it is that i open. Regular bikes run me about a week and then i let them rest for a while before using them again. The stock just feels so flimsy. However if i pull out a new deck of fultons or something they usually last me quite a while.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Snarky response - I only open a deck seal once. 'Cause you can't unopen it.

I just open a new deck when I need them. I use cards until they are basically destroyed. I used a deck of Bicycle Masters for a year. Still have them somewhere.

But on the flip side, I knew a guy that said he could kill two decks of standards in a day. He flourished a lot and it really wore them out I guess.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I try to use them to the point of no return, then put them away with a silica gel packet and just come back to them for everyday practice and performance when I don't want to worry about bending, losing or destroying a card for whatever reason.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Not a lot of real world workers around here ;)
I go through a deck of cards in a week on average. I open a new deck every week or so, because I give cards away when people sign them and I sign them, or sometimes I just give an entire deck as a souvenir to a spectator.

Not a lot of real world workers around here ;)
I go through a deck of cards in a week on average. I open a new deck every week or so, because I give cards away when people sign them and I sign them, or sometimes I just give an entire deck as a souvenir to a spectator.

Good point Toby, I barely give out cards, mainly do gambling demos, But It didn't even cross my mind that some guys, give out cards. I used to buy "bikes", but I can get 5 decent decks for the same price, and once a DL becomes apparent I change it.

Dec 21, 2012
i like to open or buy new decks 1-2 times a week like just this week i ordered 4 new decks but will not open all of them immediately

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hardcore card guys are known to go through two or three decks a night because they are brutal on their cards when it comes to crimps and other odds in ends in which a card gets folded, chewed on, torn and so forth. I've known guys from my Castle days that went through a brick of cards weekly and thought nothing of it.

Me on the other hand. . . even when I was working tables, a deck would last me a good month (I never really cared for or needed the slick surface on cards when they are first opened). Presently I'm playing lots of Solitaire just to wear and age a few decks I need to look well loved in a couple of Seance bits. . . I'm even looking for a source for authentic card decks from the Civil War & WWI eras that weren't as "springy" or "waxed" as most of us know cards to be. . . they literally were "past board", rarely with backs and the front pips looked nothing like what we're used to.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hardcore card guys are known to go through two or three decks a night because they are brutal on their cards when it comes to crimps and other odds in ends in which a card gets folded, chewed on, torn and so forth. I've known guys from my Castle days that went through a brick of cards weekly and thought nothing of it.

Me on the other hand. . . even when I was working tables, a deck would last me a good month (I never really cared for or needed the slick surface on cards when they are first opened). Presently I'm playing lots of Solitaire just to wear and age a few decks I need to look well loved in a couple of Seance bits. . . I'm even looking for a source for authentic card decks from the Civil War & WWI eras that weren't as "springy" or "waxed" as most of us know cards to be. . . they literally were "past board", rarely with backs and the front pips looked nothing like what we're used to.

Renn Faires. I have a replication deck of Civil War era cards which are basically just thick paper. $8.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I use whatever is closest to me. Lately I've been using the Sultan Republic cards. Before that was Infinity. Standard bikes are common. I recommend the ones that best fit your style and budget.

Cards are not going to improve your performance. If they do, you're not very good. They should blend in with your overall style well enough that they don't stand out any more than your clothing. The stocks and finishes are largely the same, it really just comes down to what art do you like to have on them?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results