How to advance in card magic??

Dec 26, 2015
Hey Im in my early TEENS and want to advance in magic specially stuff like mechanic, moves by daniel madison and changes...
SO can I start leaning it and eventually will be able to perform them of wait for some time and learn other stuff. I have been learning from 2 yrs and really want to learn DM stuff.
Secondly is everything in moves for intermidiates and advanced???

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I am happy that you are enthusiastic about learning card magic. I wouldn't be too quick to purchase Daniel Madisons stuff, before you do that why don't you have a look at Jason England's Video entitled What to Read(it's free)? In all honesty his opinion is valued by most of theory11 myself included. Don't get me wrong Daniel Madison is a talented artist but I am just saying that maybe you are thinking about the aesthetics and not thinking about the root. What I mean by that is that you see all the fancy moves that Daniel Madison does and rather than trying to focus in on where to find these moves , you are blinded by the fancy cards the fancy camera angles and you say to yourself oh I want Daniel Madisons stuff when in reality he gets most of his moves from a man that lived circa 1900. It's akin to saying I want to learn modern music when you don't know the classical stuff like Mozart. I can go all day with analogies, all I'm saying is be wise with which avenue you take when beginning to learn card magic.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
If you want to advance in card magic, you can't get anywhere without mastering the foundations/fundamentals. Card College by Roberto Giobbi is the way to go if you want to advance in your card magic. Of all the years I have spent learning move-monkey and knuckle-busting card sleights, I have hardly ever used them for real performances. It's always the fundamentals, the basics, you name it. I wouldn't waste your time practicing the move-monkey stuff if you want to truly advance in card magic as a whole. Your future in card magic does not depend on if you can do the best diagonal palm shift. Take it from the basics, and you will learn far more than if you dove straight into the knuckle-busting stuff without ever knowing the fundamentals.

Dec 26, 2015
I know
If you want to advance in card magic, you can't get anywhere without mastering the foundations/fundamentals. Card College by Roberto Giobbi is the way to go if you want to advance in your card magic. Of all the years I have spent learning move-monkey and knuckle-busting card sleights, I have hardly ever used them for real performances. It's always the fundamentals, the basics, you name it. I wouldn't waste your time practicing the move-monkey stuff if you want to truly advance in card magic as a whole. Your future in card magic does not depend on if you can do the best diagonal palm shift. Take it from the basics, and you will learn far more than if you dove straight into the knuckle-busting stuff without ever knowing the fundamentals.[

Dec 26, 2015
I know
If you want to advance in card magic, you can't get anywhere without mastering the foundations/fundamentals. Card College by Roberto Giobbi is the way to go if you want to advance in your card magic. Of all the years I have spent learning move-monkey and knuckle-busting card sleights, I have hardly ever used them for real performances. It's always the fundamentals, the basics, you name it. I wouldn't waste your time practicing the move-monkey stuff if you want to truly advance in card magic as a whole. Your future in card magic does not depend on if you can do the best diagonal palm shift. Take it from the basics, and you will learn far more than if you dove straight into the knuckle-busting stuff without ever knowing the fundamentals.[
A lot of ppl suggested card college but english is my second language and I faced problem reading royal road...

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I am not sure if Card College series was written in different languages. Your top priority should be to learn the English language. You don't necessarily have to be able to read Kings' English if you want to get through a magic book. English is the third most spoken language in the world 1 being Chinese 2 being Spanish (I'm not a language expert I just googled this). Being able to read in English would definitely be in your favor. Hope this helps.;)

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Si tu eres espanol , yo te puedo entender un poco. No mucho....... Now if you are talking about Chinese forget about it I am lost along with 99% of the people on this forum. :)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I know

A lot of ppl suggested card college but english is my second language and I faced problem reading royal road...

Royal Road is more difficult to read than Card College because Royal Road was written in the 1950s while Card Colege was written in the 2000s. You asked how to advance and Casey told you the answer. Nonetheless, I get the sense that regardless of what anyone tells you, you aren't going to get Card College because you think videos are better to learn from.

With that in mind, Daniel Madison's Mechanic is about cheating at cards. If that is what you want to learn, then spend the money on the videos and learn it.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Specific trick tutorials are only good if you want to learn something specific. So unless 'Moves' has something that REALLY jumps out at you, I'd hold off on it a bit and go for the basics.

I'll level with you. I bought Ray Kosby's 'Impossible Card Magic' & 'Impossible Close Up Magic' because I saw several moves I would like to use one day--knowing that I've only been in magic for less than a year. Truth be told, I haven't made a whole lot o' progress on the ol' 'Raise Rise' or 'Silver & Bone'. But the point would be that you would only be taking away moves that are sometimes best suited for the person teaching them.

By learning the basics first, you get a better sense of the direction you want to go in your 'magic path'. Maybe you'll still be interested in some of 'Madison's works, maybe you won't. Impossible to determine at this point.

But by working from the ground up with the proper techniques, you will then discover (and save a TON of money and space by not buying things you don't need) what you want to person and utilize.

Maybe I'll grow out of the Ray Kosby stuff. I need to work from the ground up myself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results