How to approach people?

Jan 31, 2009
Hi!

I've been doing magic for 2 years but i still don't know how to approach people to show them some magic.

Any tips?

"Excuse me, sorry, erm... Do you know how much a polar bear weighs? Enough to break the ice. Hi I'm *insert name* would you like to see some magic?" ( I use that at parties, but I leave the magic bit out, remember you dont want people remembering you just for the magic, surely you want to be remember as a person to)

Or here's one a street performer told me tonight, this is how he starts drawing a crowd. He holds a piece of string between his fingers just so it above the ground and shakes it a bit and says "String dangling!". He says that randomly and eventually someone will stop and ask him what is going on and then he goes into his other crowd drawer.

Basicly, you just have to be yourself, what ever works for one person may not work for you. It all depends on who you are, you just have to go out and try different things out.

Cheers, Tom

Hi!

I've been doing magic for 2 years but i still don't know how to approach people to show them some magic.

Any tips?
thats where patter comes from, whatever effect you want to do, try to be in the best situation possible, if you are doing sinful, how bout being near a store, or at a coke machine, with a the person who loads the venders up. You be like hey wait a mintue something is wrong with my can, and there, you have the floor....

if you are to do card tricks, be around friends, or at a card game, or in a store and looking for cards, and ask for help to find a specific deck and pull out your cards. once again you have the floor. a great magician can set up the specator.....

But for a random effect by a random person, introduce your self and ask them can you talk to them for a while, can you show them something( i don't like that one), how bout this, do you have a few mintues, if they say yes, they are then open prey......

May 31, 2008
"Hi, my name's David (your name, not mine), I'm a magician. Would you mind helping me with something? Alright cool, what's your name?..."

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
well i really get bored when i'm in mall with friends they go out to smoke and i go out with them but i dnt smoke so i go to the ppl around and say
hi how are you. do you believe in magic? they either yes yes or no
yes. i'd say would you like me to show you some
no. i say how about making you believe in magic:p

i dnt really interduce myself but in the end the ask about my name because when i go to do magic i personal dnt think ppl to know me even though i didn't say my name ppl get to know me from friends cause i live in an small island i always get ppl saying yea your that guy who did this trick for us

you can even do for a couple of your friends and ppl will get curious and wanna see wwhats going on so after doing a trick for your friends ask someone random around you

Sep 2, 2007
London
A really strong idea is for your first line to be "Hi, my name's [INSERT NAME HERE]". If you aren't called [INSERT NAME HERE] then feel free to use your own name instead. It's a simple thing, but it achieves two aims. It makes a very good start at establishing rapport, as you have given the spectator something, your name, before you ask for anything in return, and it makes them more likely to go along with whatever you have to say next. It also gives a sense of authority, that you're meant to be doing what you're doing. If you introduce yourself boldly, you send the message that your happy and proud of what you have to offer, which will put people at their ease and make them feel that they're in capable hands.

You walk your happy, bum up to someone and ask "would you like to see something." Don't actually say that or you will get a wide range of reactions. A better way to do it is to introduce yourself as a magician, guage there reactions. Furthermore if there reactions is: Frightened, reaching for there purse, grabing a device to cause pain as self defense, and then using said device on you chances are they do not want to have anything to do with you. But if the spectator is interested go for it. Start with something simple and go from there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results