How to improve Single Card Straddle Pass? Advices?

Nov 26, 2011
Finland
Hello everyone! Ive been playing with Single Card Straddle Pass lately. I learned it from Jason Englands 1-On-1. My handling is slighty different than Jasons (Different finger positioning). Anyway Im looking for advice and tips on how to improve my pass. :) Thanks for your time :)

Click here

Sep 2, 2007
London
It's fine, it's serviceable, and it would get the job done. If you're looking for perfection, however, there are a couple of points that could be improved. There is visible tension in your hands, especially your right hand. Also, the left thumb lying on the top of the deck is a dead giveaway that some kind of move is about to happen. And maybe try and minimise the riffling action. A gentle riffle can suggest that the cards are being held loosely, implying they are out of your control, but too much of a riffle draws attention to the moment of the move. My recommendation would be to practise by alternating executing the pass with not executing it. So, insert a card, and pass it to the bottom, then insert a card and leave it in the middle, and so on. If you do this repetitively, paying attention to the differences in your hand positions, states of tension and relaxation, then your pass will begin to look more relaxed and closer to the genuine action you're trying to mimic. Of course, be careful you don't cheat yourself by making your genuine insertion look more like the pass instead!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 26, 2011
Finland
Thank you very much for your comment :)

Keeping my left thumb on top of the deck makes it easier for me to add pressure for the riffle while executing the pass. It looks little weird and is kinda like bad habit. Anyway I tried to execute the move with my left thumb on side of the deck like in the mechanics grip and then adding pressure with my right index finger. Thats how I normally riffle cards (If not executing a pass) and after a 20 minutes of practise I can say that it feels a lot more natural. Just like it should.

I will try to keep my hands more relaxed and minimise the riffling action. Thanks for the tips. I will keep practising using method you recommended and maybe post a new video when I get these little changes down :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results