How to improve theory11?

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
Recently I've seen a lot of new accounts being created just to spam our beautiful forum that is Theory11. And I had an idea to help prevent spam. I think it's a good idea but maybe it's not.

What if every time an account gets created the first comment posted by the account must be approved by a mod ?

Only the first one. Cause i don't think spammer will take the time to write 2 post just to spam us.

So yeah i think it would work.
What do you guys think?

sorry for my bad English and sorry i didn't know where to post this

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I haven't seen too much spam but that might not be a bad idea. I was a little alarmed when I logged onto Theory 11 at work last week or whenever the "ERECTION" thread was made. Needless to say I didn't click on it.

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
I haven't seen too much spam but that might not be a bad idea. I was a little alarmed when I logged onto Theory 11 at work last week or whenever the "ERECTION" thread was made. Needless to say I didn't click on it.

yeah i saw that thread and that just pisses me off. and i know there's not that much spam but I feel like there we're more accounts created to spam then to learn magic in the past few mounts.

~

Mods certainly try to do their best here,

but I think the site's traffic is way to much for a small handful of mods to have to approve first posts like that all the time.

I think this forum has like 4 maybe 5 mods? Of those, I only ever really see two of them active at any given point. The others I can only assume just do their jobs without so much as a peep otherwise.

Spam is an unfortunate reality of the net. Prevention isn't the solution. There will always be loopholes for those worms to crawl through.

The solution is in the way the community deals with the problem. Reporting and flagging posts as quickly as possible, and then stop bumping them until the mod squad can get them shut down and locked.

~Draven

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Ive already suggested this via PM to Jon, and he replied with the following:

jonraiker said:
G,

We appreciate the input! We will definitely take this idea into consideration when making any future updates to our forums.

Feel free to forward me any other thoughts you have. We're all ears! Thanks again. :cool:

I suggested a captcha system for the first few posts about a month ago;

In any case, forward your ideas to Jon!

Gus

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results