How to read an old book?

Feb 17, 2017
Hi
I am trying to understand The expert at the card table. I understand it a little bit, but some parts, like the bottom dealing section confuses me. Can anyone give me some tips?

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
This can be a tough one. I don't mean this as any type of insult (which it usually comes off as), but this is more of a "comprehension" issue. Some older books like Expert at the Card Table were written at a time when different words were used, for which we have different words for today (if that made any sense lol).

By no means am I questioning your intellect, so I hope what I'm about to say doesn't get taken that way....

It really comes down to the cultures and verbiage we have been exposed to. However, all is not lost. Even old words and phrases are still generally defined on Google. If you read something you don't understand or if there is an older word you don't quite get...just Google "define:word"

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Is this one of the first books you are reading? I made the same mistake, I picked it up as my first ever book. However, it is a VERY tough read, especially since a lot of things have been given new names, new handling, etc. It is definitely a great book, but not the best one for complete beginners. I would pick up something like the Royal Road, which is a much easier read.

That being said, if you are going to read the expert at the card table, the easiest thing to do is to go into each section as if you have no idea what he will be talking about. If you start with a blank canvas, it will be much easier to pick stuff up. You will need to read over everything you don't understand 2 or 3 times, maybe even more. And at the end of every explanation, try it out, see if you can get the basics of what he was trying to say.

Reactions: DisasterTheory
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Is this one of the first books you are reading? I made the same mistake, I picked it up as my first ever book. However, it is a VERY tough read, especially since a lot of things have been given new names, new handling, etc. It is definitely a great book, but not the best one for complete beginners. I would pick up something like the Royal Road, which is a much easier read.

That being said, if you are going to read the expert at the card table, the easiest thing to do is to go into each section as if you have no idea what he will be talking about. If you start with a blank canvas, it will be much easier to pick stuff up. You will need to read over everything you don't understand 2 or 3 times, maybe even more. And at the end of every explanation, try it out, see if you can get the basics of what he was trying to say.
You actually said what I meant, in better words lmao

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're not understanding older books, studying English more will help. Reading more is a big help. You don't have to read Shakespeare or anything, but it just helps to read more, even if it's online news articles or something. With Erdnase, it helps to follow along with cards in hand and look up words when you're unfamiliar.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
"No book will benefit the dedicated student more, or the casual reader less." Vernon, paraphrased.

This isn't an easy read. The language is archaic and sometimes confusingly phrased in general. I read it cover to cover twice before I even tried any of the techniques. Keep at it, and you'll figure things out.

Reactions: DisasterTheory
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're not understanding older books, studying English more will help. Reading more is a big help. You don't have to read Shakespeare or anything, but it just helps to read more, even if it's online news articles or something. With Erdnase, it helps to follow along with cards in hand and look up words when you're unfamiliar.
This is kind of what I was saying, with a mix of what Maaz said. I think no matter how you slice it, when we say those things, it runs the risk of implying that the reader is "stupid." lol Although I'm sure neither of us meant it that way. It's just a truth, that older books are generally understood better, when you have a better grasp on literature.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results